Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2008, 09:01 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
hipsters are the larval form of yuppies. In this adolescent form they are yuppie ground troops that bumrush a neighborhood and prepare it for gentrification. Their primary function is to raise rents, encourage native populations to leave and prep neighborhoods to be fully yuppified. The local hq is williamsburg brooklyn and all operations are coordinated from there. At thirty to thirty five hipsters do a complete transformation from hipster to full fledged yuppie. They lose the tight jeans, ironic t-shirts and asymmetrical haircuts and trade them in for barneys new york corporate outfits. The anti-establishment hipster ethos does a complete transformation into an entirely corporate persona.

true or not i looooove your little description!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 09:13 AM

938 posts, read 4,094,561 times
hipster girls:

Old 12-13-2008, 09:23 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i have a very similiar display of a hipster i bagged at 3:00am on my trophy wall

Old 12-13-2008, 12:50 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
At thirty to thirty five hipsters do a complete transformation from Hipster to full fledged yuppie. They lose the tight jeans, ironic T-Shirts and asymmetrical haircuts and trade them in for Barneys New York corporate outfits. The anti-establishment hipster ethos does a complete transformation into an entirely corporate persona.
My neighbor and good friend seems unable to follow the specified progressive path. Somehow, despite attaining a nice Wall Street position and perks to go with it, she just can't lose that "Valley" accent, Betty Boop hairstyle, or T- shirt heralding the resurgence of the flower girls from San Fran and the free love men and women of Woodstock.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 12-13-2008 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-13-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
hipster girls:
Wow! The one on the right is real cool looking. Hey, how can I become a hipster?

Old 12-13-2008, 02:44 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minus View Post
take the l to bedford ave. In the evening to observe them in their natural habitat. Don't go before 5 pm, they'll be asleep and you won't see them!
do you mean the bedford avenue in park slope, brooklyn?

Old 12-13-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
Sounds pretty tragic to me, as if they want so badly to belong that they are willing to dress in any way or do anything that screams to the rest of the world, "I am now in the in-group, and you're not. So there!" Reminds me of a self-proclaimed "reformed nerd" I once met in Boston. He had a very hip style of dress, but his attitude was so vile it was as though he was living out some kind of a vendetta, trying desperately to prove that he was cool and that his nerd days were over. On the other hand, I am sure that some of the hipsters have taken on the whole hipster thing as a fashion statement, which is in and of itself also sad. Oh well... Takes all kinds of people to people the world. Life has always been this way. In a way, the hipsters remind me of the beatniks of the late 1950's through the 1960's, except that the beatniks actually contributed poetry, music, and performance art to shed light on our society or to protest.

Thanks for your responses.
As far as fashion: Isn't NYC avant-garde enough, and the capital of the fashion industry? So, if they want to make a statement, let it be. They are contributing to the economy by buying.......

Obviously, they are not taking jobs from New Yorkers, as they come from money. Housing? Let's be real: We have too many poor people in NYC, and you cannot run a city, only with poor people! AND THEY are not ON WELFARE! Someone has to buy those beautiful buildings that are being constructed, and this provides jobs for the building industry, as well. Otherwise, the middle-classes get stuck paying for extra taxes.

That they like to get up after 5pm in the evening.......that is an excellent idea. I wish I could do it! Look at it this way: They are not running the subways during the rush hours, therefore, making more room for others. They do not drive cars, so they are not polluting the environment.

ARE THEY HURTING ANYONE? Please, we, New Yorkers, are sophisticate enough, to let other people live, and do their own thing, as long as..........they are not CONSCIOUSLY hurting anyone. MOTTO: LIVE AND LET LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-13-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MottHavenDude View Post
The bottom line is..why does anyone care? The Hipsters bother you...but again I ask why? Do they bother you more than the street bums begging for money and sleeping on the train? Oh wait...they have street credibility so they deserve to be here! How about the gangs of thugs with their pants down to their ankles and du-rags. Oh wait...they are poor, ethnic and part of the street culture, so they qualify as NYers! How about all those nonstop immigrants always flooding into NYC? Oh wait..they too are typically poor and ethnic..so they are welcome here. Exactly when did being a "real" NYer mean you had to be "from the street" or somehoe had "street credibility." Oh that's right, when the city burned, the middle class fled, and the people of color took over, violence skyrocketed, and the city was a dangerous/filthy place to live. You may think that is what NY is about..but that's not what NY was ever about..this is only recent history. The fact remains, NYC is about diversity, whether it be Hipsters, Mexicans, Irish, Pakistanis, Vietnamese, Yuppies, Investment Bankers, the Global Elite, etc. The justifications for hating Hipsters are just the same as hating everyother group.....there is always a reason to hate something, or a reason to proclaim some group doesn''t belong here, or in "your" neighborood, or blame a groud for "ruining" the neighborhood. It's all the same..the funny thing is..much of the people who taunt/ridicule/hate Hipsters, for whatever reason, come from families that back in the day were taunted/ridiculed/hated by other groups. Nice job!
Mott/havendude: I like you, as a native New Yorker, I like what you have to say, and how you put it across................

Old 12-13-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Housing? Let's be real: We have too many poor people in NYC, and you cannot run a city, only with poor people! AND THEY are not ON WELFARE! Someone has to buy those beautiful buildings that are being constructed, and this provides jobs for the building industry, as well. Otherwise, the middle-classes get stuck paying for extra taxes.

ARE THEY HURTING ANYONE? Please, we, New Yorkers, are sophisticate enough, to let other people live, and do their own thing, as long as..........they are not CONSCIOUSLY hurting anyone. MOTTO: LIVE AND LET LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Rubies dear, I see where you mean well.

Here's something to think about:

1. Yes, we can't run a city with just people on Welfare. The choice however is not Welfare people only or hipsters and welfare people. We have tons of hardworking non-hipster folk paying taxes and moving the economy along.

2. Are they hurting anyone? Wish they were like you described. Many of them come here, move in to neighborhoods with their trust funds after they've convinced daddy that in a few short months they'll be the next superstar actress, musician, or dancer.

Guess what? People who've been in neigborhoods working hard to make ends meet suddenly can't compete with those trust funds and become nomads looking at dangerous areas like Mott Haven to live in while prima donnas with attitudes take over their neighborhoods and look down on the few remaining oldtimers.

3. Yes, we must live and let live. Hipsters do have a place here. They're not criminals sticking us up with a knife but they sure as hell are cutting away at our ability to have a roof over our heads in a decent neighborhood; and they sure are hurting us in the pocketbook as we try to survive when prices of everything go up.

They're not buying those fancy condos, they're renting - three and four hipsters to a room, and we have to flee and move further from our productive places of business while they sleep all day, hang out at night, show up for an occasional audition to be the next Marilyn Monroe, send a flyer to daddy, who then wires funds for them to drive up the rents another few hundred dollars.

You are right though Rubies, hipsters cannot be forced out. New York is not like that. We must somehow live and let live.

Finally rubies I'm wondering whether my blue shoes and yellow trousers with my Elvis hairstyle can make me a hipster as I'd like to wake up at 5:00 p.m, audition to be a writer, return home, and have a nice older, attractive, woman from Staten island wire me some funds!

Know anyone?

Old 12-13-2008, 09:14 PM

Miles, how are you? You have a point there. But, with the influx of people from third-world countries, some of them illegals and poor coming to NYC, what would you rather have? And although many of them do climb the ladder to success, many of them remain poor, and we have to support them.

But really, Miles, you have made my day. I have been laughing for the longest time! And as usual, you are EXTREMELY CHARMING........................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City