Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 06:45 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,986,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler13 View Post
Nick Tahou's has a Wikipedia entry with a photo of a garbage plate: Nick Tahou Hots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Most likely terrible for you, but I've been told, after a night of partying especially, it's quite good.

I live in Pelham Parkway now and have for the past year; no bad experiences yet, and I have a great building. Yeah, the rent is high compared to Rochester, but I feel it's well worth it to have New Yawk at your feet.
I had something similar to that in New Rochelle.. it was called something much nicer sounding than a garbage plate, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 PM

904 posts, read 2,874,269 times
I'd like to preface this by saying that I don't know much about Upstate. I've never even been to Western New York (I was always one of those who called everything north of Westchester "upstate," which, I found out some years ago, is irksome to people from places like Buffalo and Binghamton).

Anyway, it always seemed to me that the prevailing notion, to which I've subscribed to varying degrees, is that the countryside up there is beautiful, but the cities are dumpy and boring. Though I have a relative who lived in Rochester for a time and liked it, so my impressions of Rochester are a bit more positive.

I'm actually sort of curious about Buffalo and Rochester these days, now that I've dropped some of my New York arrogance and embraced living elsewhere. Though, I gotta say, I've been to Albany a couple of times, and, erm...not impressed. Not at all.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:51 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,909 times
Upstate is very nice. Lakes, mountains, rivers, vineyards, gorges, etc.

For a good job, unfortunately it is not as good.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:19 PM

922 posts, read 3,862,383 times
I wasn't originally going to post in this thread, because I thought the OP wanted the opinions of born-and-bred NYC residents. As you can tell from my screen name I know a lot about Upstate. I was born and raised in Buffalo and have lived in NYC for two years.

Quote:
(I was always one of those who called everything north of Westchester "upstate," which, I found out some years ago, is irksome to people from places like Buffalo and Binghamton).
You are absolutely right - Upstaters generally consider "Upstate" to be the area of NYS outside of the NYC extended metro area, generally north of Sullivan/Ulster/Duchess counties.

Quote:
Anyway, it always seemed to me that the prevailing notion, to which I've subscribed to varying degrees, is that the countryside up there is beautiful, but the cities are dumpy and boring. Though I have a relative who lived in Rochester for a time and liked it, so my impressions of Rochester are a bit more positive.
I wouldn't call the cities "dumpy and boring". While you could fairly call anyplace "boring" compared to NYC, there are a surprising number of cultural and recreational amenities in Upstate cities relative to their small sizes. As for dumpy... every city has its share of beautiful and ugly scenery.

I've found the general perception of most NYC residents to characterize Upstate is this giant rural landscape populated by various types of unsophisticated hicks and hayseeds. Buffalo is considered to be literally a frozen arctic wasteland. (it's not nearly as cold or as snowy as people think).

In reality, Upstate offers an outstanding quality of life. The problem has been and will continue to be the scarcity of good job opportunities, so the population continues to shrink.

People who end up relocating to Buffalo usually do so for a specific job opportunity. Universally, they are not enthusiastic about the move, but most end up liking it so much that they never want to leave. If you have a good, stable job, its a great place to live and raise a family.

Footnote: Ironically, Upstaters refer to "New Yorkers" as people from the City, not the state. They don't refer to themselves as "New Yorkers".

Old 09-04-2008, 08:15 AM

110 posts, read 347,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
I wasn't originally going to post in this thread, because I thought the OP wanted the opinions of born-and-bred NYC residents. As you can tell from my screen name I know a lot about Upstate. I was born and raised in Buffalo and have lived in NYC for two years.

You are absolutely right - Upstaters generally consider "Upstate" to be the area of NYS outside of the NYC extended metro area, generally north of Sullivan/Ulster/Duchess counties.

I wouldn't call the cities "dumpy and boring". While you could fairly call anyplace "boring" compared to NYC, there are a surprising number of cultural and recreational amenities in Upstate cities relative to their small sizes. As for dumpy... every city has its share of beautiful and ugly scenery.

I've found the general perception of most NYC residents to characterize Upstate is this giant rural landscape populated by various types of unsophisticated hicks and hayseeds. Buffalo is considered to be literally a frozen arctic wasteland. (it's not nearly as cold or as snowy as people think).

In reality, Upstate offers an outstanding quality of life. The problem has been and will continue to be the scarcity of good job opportunities, so the population continues to shrink.

People who end up relocating to Buffalo usually do so for a specific job opportunity. Universally, they are not enthusiastic about the move, but most end up liking it so much that they never want to leave. If you have a good, stable job, its a great place to live and raise a family.

Footnote: Ironically, Upstaters refer to "New Yorkers" as people from the City, not the state. They don't refer to themselves as "New Yorkers".

No anyone from Upstate or NYC can post here, or anyone in general who is slightly familiar with Upstate and NYC. I wanted insight from NYer's who were originally from Upstate/Downstate but moved to the differing region.

Rochester is an OK place. Not really bad at all. Nice place to live, beautiful sights to see up here

Old 09-04-2008, 08:56 AM

904 posts, read 2,874,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post

I'm sure you are right - I was just quoting what seems to be something of a general perception amongst people from the city and it's environs. It isn't necessarily true, and now that I live in Chicago, I can't really be much on my New York-centric high horse anymore (not that I'd want to).

Are you sure about that thing with Upstaters, though? That's always how I thought of it, being from the city, but I once got into a massive argument with someone from Buffalo upon referring to that city as "upstate," in which I was informed that it was in "Western New York" and there were also places called the "Central Tier" and "Southern Tier," and, honestly, it was years ago and I forget the rest. I just remember the person from Buffalo saying that Upstate is "Watertown or something," whereas I contended that it consisted of everything north of the NYC 'burbs.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:39 AM

317 posts, read 1,144,695 times
I lived in Clinton County for 3 years. I disliked it at first, and then I grew to like it... then I felt like I'd been there long enough, and came back to the city.

It's nice up there, different way of life. Much more laid back, which I think was the main appeal. It kinda sucked not having a car. And it was bitterly cold in the winter.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:40 AM

Where is Clinton County??? Central NY?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:46 AM

317 posts, read 1,144,695 times
Northern NY, it's actually the farthest northeastern county, at the Canadian and Vermont border.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M...ton_County.svg

It's up there!

Last edited by Minus; 09-04-2008 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: copyrighted material

Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 AM

Wow is way up there!. You can't get more Upstate than that!! Never been. How is it there? It must have been cold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City