Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:38 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,695 times

Advertisements

I liked it. It's nice, if not terribly exciting. Pretty rural in a lot of parts. It's actually a really visually beautiful area. The local economy's not that great, though, and I missed the city. Plus I didn't have a car, so I had to bum rides everywhere. Winter was brutal! The windchill would hit -20 sometimes.

I heard that Saranac Lake (in Franklin County, the next county to the west) is one of the coldest places in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 02:24 PM

110 posts, read 347,349 times
That's cool! I never been there before. Upstate isn't bad at all. I like it here.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:56 PM

922 posts, read 3,862,383 times
Quote:
Are you sure about that thing with Upstaters, though? That's always how I thought of it, being from the city, but I once got into a massive argument with someone from Buffalo upon referring to that city as "upstate," in which I was informed that it was in "Western New York" and there were also places called the "Central Tier" and "Southern Tier," and, honestly, it was years ago and I forget the rest. I just remember the person from Buffalo saying that Upstate is "Watertown or something," whereas I contended that it consisted of everything north of the NYC 'burbs.
You are correct. I don't know where your friend in Buffalo got the idea that "Upstate" is only near Watertown. My original point was that many NYC area residents define "Upstate" to include parts of the northern 'burbs. I've even heard Westchester defined as "Upstate" (on Channel 4 News!) but Upstaters consider it "Everything in New York State that is north of and not 'under the influence' of NYC"

When asked "where are you from", most Upstaters will respond with the region where they live, not "Upstate", which is probably too generalized for their tastes. "Western New York" is Buffalo and Rochester, "Central New York" is Syracuse. The "Southern Tier" refers to the string of counties that border Northern Pennsylvania.

That being said, now that I live in NYC, when people ask where I am from I answer "Upstate" (thus my screen name). I used to say "Buffalo", but frankly, I got tired of people ALWAYS responding "It's really cold up there", or "You get a lotta snow up there".

Old 09-05-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
You are correct. I don't know where your friend in Buffalo got the idea that "Upstate" is only near Watertown. My original point was that many NYC area residents define "Upstate" to include parts of the northern 'burbs. I've even heard Westchester defined as "Upstate" (on Channel 4 News!) but Upstaters consider it "Everything in New York State that is north of and not 'under the influence' of NYC"

When asked "where are you from", most Upstaters will respond with the region where they live, not "Upstate", which is probably too generalized for their tastes. "Western New York" is Buffalo and Rochester, "Central New York" is Syracuse. The "Southern Tier" refers to the string of counties that border Northern Pennsylvania.

That being said, now that I live in NYC, when people ask where I am from I answer "Upstate" (thus my screen name). I used to say "Buffalo", but frankly, I got tired of people ALWAYS responding "It's really cold up there", or "You get a lotta snow up there".

We say that about all of Upstate!!! I live here to now.

Sometimes I don't know where i fit in so even as a native Upstater (I was born in Rochester) I consider myself a New Yorker, maybe because I spent most of my life in The Bronx, but Upstate is NY too!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:46 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,999 times
I'm an SU grad. I'm going up to Syracuse for a class reunion. I didn't seek permanent residence because; 1) not much to do there (that was 20 years ago!), 2) the economy was bad then, and 3) Winters are brutal.

I've read and heard that Syracuse's housing market is pretty good; not in the tank like a lot of other cities; but the economy still has issues. What a paradox.

I may look down the road of buying property up there as an investment.

Oh, yeah, the million-dollar question......Do you eat Sal's Wings??????

Old 09-05-2008, 10:17 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx-Rochester View Post
No I don't. Were you asking me, Scatman?
Yep! Sal's Birldand is a very popular wing spot in Rochester and Syracuse.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:22 AM

I've never been there. Is it downtown or something? What part of the Bronx do you live in now???

Old 01-24-2009, 08:08 PM

451 posts, read 695,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post

Footnote: Ironically, Upstaters refer to "New Yorkers" as people from the City, not the state. They don't refer to themselves as "New Yorkers".
Not really.

Come to Utica, about half of its residents are NYC transplants. Probably the one upstate city whos biggest influence is from the city (aside Albany politically).

Spend more time around upstate bo.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:12 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
I lived in the Rome/Utica area for 3+ years. Very depressing area, lots of closed down warehouses and factories, prisons, and lake effect snow in winter. They didn't care much for people from NYC, said we stole all of the state tax money for the welfare recipients in the city and the inmates housed up there were from the city which brought their family members and increasing crime with them. While the surrounding areas are really nice, I couldn't see myself living there permanently. Parts of Rome had very high property taxes too.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:37 PM

542 posts, read 1,099,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
Not really.

Come to Utica, about half of its residents are NYC transplants. Probably the one upstate city whos biggest influence is from the city (aside Albany politically).

Spend more time around upstate bo.
thank you. I was about to respond to that quote as well. it's almost as if some people upstate have a chip on their shoulder about people from NYC.

i also disagree w/UpstaterinBklyn's comment about the weather. i grew up in Bklyn and lived most of my adult life in Queens. i moved to Amherst last summer. as far as the weather goes, it's slightly colder here than in the City, but the snow....sigh, it snows almost everyday. sometimes it's showers, sometimes it's significant. but it ABSOLUTELY snows more here than it does down there.

aside from that, i like it here. the quality of life is much better. homes are affordable and i find that going about my everyday business is easier here than in the City.

i still miss NYC though. whenever i go to downtown Buffalo, it's always a shock to me. there are so many abandoned businesses, it's kinda depressing. i'm just can't get used to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City