Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 11:13 AM

101 posts, read 162,935 times

Advertisements

Both are metropolises, and I will compare the life in both cities. Just my personal comparison, no need to criticize me.

1) Food. No need to say, Shanghai is best. At 2Am at night, if I want hot spicy Sichuan soup, I can walk out of my apartment and walk two blocks and can have it immediately. Where in New York can you get this at 2 AM at night? In NYC, only good food you can get at 2Am at night is mcdonalds and hotdogs. And in Shanghai, there are literally every restaurant at every street corner, and you can gather all your friends at eat hotpot until 3 am at night in any restaurant, and yell and scream and be as loud as you want, absoultely great! In New York, no way.

2) Entertainment. Night life is much better in Shanghai. Karaoke, massage, video game bars, all kinds of sex bars, everything within 3 block radius. You can be out with friends till 5am at night, and enjoy everything. In New York, what do you have? Other than drinking, what else? Nothing else. Don't tell me about Lincoln Center, about Opera, musicals, etc. I"m not interested in these kind of "high level" stuff. I want massage, karaoke, etc.

3) Transportation. In Shanghai, subway and buses run like every 3 minutes. In New York, I wait in the subway station without AC for 15 mins for a train, and it turns out it's detoured. Ridiculous. My visitors to new york are all shocked to see how horrible the transportation is.

4) Culture. Don't tell me about high level culture like opera or musicals. If I want to read a book by Hillary clinton in Chinese or the translated works of the late Argentinian author, I can do it in China immediately by going to the local book city (a 10 story mega bookstore). In NYC, can you find the latest book by the latest Chinese essayist translated in English in Barnes Noble or Borders? I can cannot. I can only try to find it on some obscure chinese online book site. Every barnes nobel have only commerical books and at most 2 stories high. THe book collection is pathetic and non-diverse.

5) Education. New York is better no doubt.

6) Jobs. New York is better given its financial center. But Asia is catching up very quickly.

7) Weather. Same

Conclusion, New York City is much worse than Shanghai. Much much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 11:48 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
Conclusion, New York City is much worse than Shanghai. Much much worse.
Quote:
Just moved to 72 and bway, any recommendations for any dirt cheap food places (Chinese, mexican, italian, etc)? The only place I know is Papaya dog on the corner of 72 and amsterdam.

Any other recommendations? Thanks!
Wow, thanks for letting us know our city sucks.

Maybe life isn't so great for you because you are eating at Papaya Dog.

I know NY is not perfect and I'll be the first to admit there are issues and really annoying things to put up with here, but really . . . why is it that there is a pattern on this board where people join just to post in the NYC category to tell us how bad our city is?

If you don't like it, move.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:26 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
lol, thanks!

Old 09-03-2008, 01:46 PM

110 posts, read 347,318 times
Shanghai better than New York??????!!!

In all honesty I have never been to Shanghai to give an unbiased opinion on the city but I know it does not rival NYC.

I know firsthand that rents in NY are to high, and even with all the craziness going on that is my only gripe about NYC

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-03-2008 at 02:19 PM..

Old 09-03-2008, 02:21 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Not to mention that great communist government with its censorship in Shanghai....

Old 09-03-2008, 02:59 PM

210 posts, read 972,187 times
yeah, if you chinese it is better, for everyone else it is worse! New York has DIVERSITY
Also, who the hell wants to eat at 3 am? to eat in the middle of the night.
there are bars and clubs here open late, and they have food. but to sit down for a dinner at 3 am-ridiculous.
And it is your own biased opinion, not everyone wants to be out at night, every night, and be up til 3 AM. Me, personally- i have no desire.

Why do you expect to find CHINESE books in New York? you are not in China.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:00 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Wow, you forgot to tell us about the air quality. Or is the air in Shanghai so wonderfully clean and fresh, what with China's almost complete lack of environmental standards?

Old 09-03-2008, 03:02 PM

101 posts, read 162,935 times
Why so angry at me? Just telling you my honest opinion. No need to be so rude.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:16 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Why so angry at me? Just telling you my honest opinion. No need to be so rude.

The question is WHY you are telling us your 'honest opinion.'

Why join a site for a particular city and make one of your first posts be about how rotten the place is?

It's fine if you don't like NY - there are certainly other options for places to live and it's not for everyone. But you are the one who came onto a NY board and started a thread about how miserable you think NY is. And you didn't expect the kind of response you're getting? Wow.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:24 PM

210 posts, read 972,187 times
I saw a pictures of a corpse of dead newborn baby girl on the sidewalk in some poor area of Shanghai, and people stepping over it. Since you can only have one child, people kill unwanted newborn girls and just throw them away.
But who cares, you can go out and eat at 3am, and you can get blow jobs for almost nothing on every corner from a hot chinese chick! I guess it denends on what you like-you are obviously at partying and going out all night long, getting cheap sex services, etc. Then yeah, go and have fun in Sanghain, definately much more "culture"

Yeah, and really who cares about theater and musemus-when you cant stuff your face with food at 3 am and get a $2 blow job from propably an underaged girl or boy.

As for transportation-i never had to wait for a train more then 2 minutes in New York, unless it is in the middle of the night.
I guess you only care about going out at night, thats it, how deep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City