Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:21 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Not even gangs. Im telling you we dont like them like that. They dont really like us. At the very least we dont trust them when they're in groups because they get all macho and want to impress their friends. The Puerto Ricans do the same thing to us too. We avoid black blocks like the plague around here and if we're going through, then we make sure we enough people with us. The treatment is not as bad now as it was when Dominicans first started coming in because they know we have alot of numbers and that we usually fight back. Blacks traget Mexicans for robberies here now. I am not saying its world war 3 but subconsciously Dominicans and Blacks really dont hang out. Sure you may have some here and there but Dominicans mostly speak spanish. Blacks don't...and alot of us (like me) dont look black so what do we have in common besides sharing the same hood?
Ethnically there are obvious difference but racially there are not in many cases. You might be whiter looking than many Dominicans, but the truth is that to non-black people in NYC, Dominicans are, for all practical purposes, a black group. As a Dominican, unless you have "good hair," you look like an African-American, and that is at least one thing the stereotypical NYC Dominican has in common with African-Americans (what you call "blacks"). There may be tension between the two groups, but know that there ARE at least some similarities among the differences that you enumerate. PS - you know which blocks are "black blocks" and which blocks are "Dominican blocks"? Is it really that segregated up there in the Bronx?

PS - one of my buddies is Dominican like you (mulato, too , also like you) and he has absolutely no problems with "black" (read: African-American) people. However, he didn't grow up in a bad neighborhood with tension betweem those two groups, so I'm sure this influenced his outlook.

Last edited by Marlin331; 09-11-2008 at 10:33 PM..

Old 09-12-2008, 02:11 AM

655 posts, read 2,183,643 times
There definitely is an underlying tension.

Last edited by gv0928; 09-12-2008 at 02:13 AM.. Reason: nevermind.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:33 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Not even gangs. Im telling you we dont like them like that. They dont really like us. At the very least we dont trust them when they're in groups because they get all macho and want to impress their friends. The Puerto Ricans do the same thing to us too. We avoid black blocks like the plague around here and if we're going through, then we make sure we enough people with us. The treatment is not as bad now as it was when Dominicans first started coming in because they know we have alot of numbers and that we usually fight back. Blacks traget Mexicans for robberies here now. I am not saying its world war 3 but subconsciously Dominicans and Blacks really dont hang out. Sure you may have some here and there but Dominicans mostly speak spanish. Blacks don't...and alot of us (like me) dont look black so what do we have in common besides sharing the same hood?
This is exactly what I was thinking about.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:01 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
They dislike each other quietly here.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:05 AM

335 posts, read 1,113,341 times
I have to agree with mario. Black and Dominicans don't really like each other. Obviously I mean in general. But I think it is more evident with the older folks. Now that there are more Dominicans than before and the kids are growing up and going to school with each other. but I know when I walk through the streets I see a group of black people on one corner and a group of Hispanics on the other.

I am black with a Hispanic background so I can identify with both sides. I have to agree with Mario that black people like to show how tough they are. They are very aggressive and like to use intimidation tactics. They tend to do it to those who won't fight back or are "weak".

Old 09-12-2008, 07:33 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
In the city we often go to school together and grow up together. It's not all roses though. There are problems, and there is a bit of tension. But compared to other places Black/Latino relations are better here.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:40 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
I'm Dominican-American, and speaking for myself and my immediate family. None of us maybe with the exception of my mom fit the stereotypical image of Dominicans, or "look" Dominican. My father looks sort of Arab, my mom probably looks the most Dominican, my sis looks Indian. lol, and me I just look vaguely mixed or ethnic. lol. A lot of people tend to stereotype Dominicans as looking one certain way, but a lot of us look all kinds of ways, its just not the dominant image.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:03 AM

655 posts, read 2,183,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I'm Dominican-American, and speaking for myself and my immediate family. None of us maybe with the exception of my mom fit the stereotypical image of Dominicans, or "look" Dominican. My father looks sort of Arab, my mom probably looks the most Dominican, my sis looks Indian. lol, and me I just look vaguely mixed or ethnic. lol. A lot of people tend to stereotype Dominicans as looking one certain way, but a lot of us look all kinds of ways, its just not the dominant image.
Yeah, crips44 was just doing his best to sound ignorant.

My Dominican side is white as can be. *shrug*

Old 09-12-2008, 08:26 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
Yeah, crips44 was just doing his best to sound ignorant.

My Dominican side is white as can be. *shrug*
I believe that throughout Latin America including the islands, one can find people labeled as "Hispanics" by the US Census who are descendants of diiferent races. Indeed, the racial composition includes whites, blacks, and mixed groups. There are large segments of populations there who are descendants of white Spaniards, Africans brought from Africa, and the native so-called "Indians" who occupied those areas prior to the arrival of Columbus and his associates, who unadvertently labeled the native people as "Indians" erroneously thinking that he had landed in India.

You go to Puerto Rico and stay at a resort and you see people holding top management positions all the way to wait staff who are obvioulsy 100% white. On the way from Marin Airport to Fajardo, e.g., you'll also come across shanty towns and when you look out the window of your vehicle you would think that you are in an African village as everone is obviously 100% black. Later on as you travel further, you encounter what I believe is the majority population of the Spanish-Speaking islands - those of mixed descent.

Even the US census recognizes these distinctions and sometimes on various forms one will find categories such as "Hispnic -White," "Hispanic-Balck", and just "Hispanic" whih one can assume refers to those of mixed descent.

Hope that helps in any way.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:50 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,973 times
Can't we all just (at least try) to get along....Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City