Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion is crime citywide up or down since 2005?
Up 89 47.85%
Down 97 52.15%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 03:31 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times

Advertisements

As we have stated before, some murders are not immediately reflected in the stats for numerous reasons. Oftentimes because it is pending an investigation, and after it is resolved, the numbers are adjusted appropriately. For example, if there is a shooting, why should it be immediately reflected in the murder stats when it could have been a suicide or accident? That is just ONE of the reasons why stats are not immediately reflective of what is happening on a weekly basis. However, they simple go back and adjust the numbers as evidence comes out or they close the case. If you believe that the cops are secretly hiding bodies, or choosing not count murders, especially those that are as highly publicized as the 13 year old boy, then there is nothing I can say to change your mind. The fact remains that the murder rate is, in my opinion, the most accurate number there is..the others can be downgraded easily, or dismissed entirely. What is important to note is that crime in fact is NOT skyrocketing, but declining, even past the record low levels of the past few years. As the city has become more proactive and effective in their policing, and has targeted the higher crime areas more effectively, and with the city investing tens of billions into these communities in the form of new housing, infrastructure, transportation, new schools, clean streets, greening, parks, etc, we are now seeing the fruits of all these policies. So long as the city gives the attention required to the higher crime communities, and effectively implement these policies and community nurturing, you will see crime continue to decrease...which is why it continues to go down today. Communities are empowered, they are driving changes, and the city is supporting them with money, policing, and good urban policies. And THAT is the truth.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:54 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
As we have stated before, some murders are not immediately reflected in the stats for numerous reasons. Oftentimes because it is pending an investigation, and after it is resolved, the numbers are adjusted appropriately. For example, if there is a shooting, why should it be immediately reflected in the murder stats when it could have been a suicide or accident? That is just ONE of the reasons why stats are not immediately reflective of what is happening on a weekly basis.
But that makes no sense when it comes to cases like this and others such as the shooting in East Flatbush that resulted in the death of a woman. Clearly they didn't kill themselves and as far as accidents goes, you can say that for a lot of murders where shots rang out and an unintended target is killed. It's still counted as a murder and I don't see why it's any different.

And while I definitely don't think crime and poverty is skyrocketing back to 90s level, it seems to me that it's increasing little by little. Some lower-income neighborhoods are seeing a little more action.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:58 PM

24 posts, read 89,698 times
I'm sure a few of you heard about the cab driver who was killed in Longwood earlier this year. I check crimes rates frequently and the killing never showed up on the stats of the 41st since then. For what reasons, I'm not too sure, so take it with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
And while I definitely don't think crime and poverty is skyrocketing back to 90s level, it seems to me that it's increasing little by little. Some lower-income neighborhoods are seeing a little more action.
Crime is obviously down since those days, and I doubt they will ever get to that point (though none of us are psychic). But poverty is still an issue in this city. The Bronx in itself is poorer than Detroit, and the South Bronx is amongst the poorest urban areas in the country. There are areas in Brooklyn with the same poverty issues as well.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:17 PM

674 posts, read 1,814,099 times
yea 1990 was a crazy year it was just a winner take all drug market with crack and there were so many drug homicides its sad.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:52 AM

NJNYCkid...I understand that you are looking at this one case and making an assumption. However, I will reiterate that just because you read a story about a shooting/murder in the news, does not mean the story is over. The cops could have had it wrong and something else occured which is why it did not count as a murder..of course we are not cops and are not privy to that information, and the news only gets what information cops feed them, so we never get the real story. Just remember, that what "news" you saw/read, is only partial information, and can easily be reversed when new information comes out (which we will likely NOT hear about). Do I think crime is increasing? I honestly do not..I think people are looking at anecdotal evidence, and assuming that since the economy is tanking, that we therefore MUST see crime rise. The evidence however, anecdotal and otherwise, is actually pointing to a DECREASE in crime. However, if you see someone smoking weed in your hallway, you may suddenly think "crime is spiraling out of control", or you may see someone throw a can of soda on the street and think "the city is filled with people filling the streets with garbage" Those are examples of anecdotal evidence, and has NOTHING to do with what may be actually happening. My perception is that cops are clamping down further to ensure that crime stays low..and they are succeeding.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:59 AM

"Official NYC Crime Stats"

Homicide Rate*

Staten Island-5.25
The Bronx-9.43
Manhatten-3.88
Queens-4.13
Brooklyn-8.19

Overall Crime Rate*

Staten Island-689.20
The Bronx-1509.79
Manhatten-1949.56
Queens-1112.0
Brooklyn-1397.92

*Per 100,000

Am I the only one who finds this to be total nypd propaganda I mean if your going to cook the stats at least make it belivable are we supposed to belive that Manhatten has the highest crime rate.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:58 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
"Official NYC Crime Stats"

Homicide Rate*

Staten Island-5.25
The Bronx-9.43
Manhatten-3.88
Queens-4.13
Brooklyn-8.19

Overall Crime Rate*

Staten Island-689.20
The Bronx-1509.79
Manhatten-1949.56
Queens-1112.0
Brooklyn-1397.92

*Per 100,000

Am I the only one who finds this to be total nypd propaganda I mean if your going to cook the stats at least make it belivable are we supposed to belive that Manhatten has the highest crime rate.

Where did you get this from?

Old 05-16-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Where did you get this from?

I calculated them myself for example to find Manhatten's overall crime rate I added the the total number of crimes from Manhatten north and Manhatten south which equaled 31,193 and being Manhatten's population is 1,620,867 to get to about 100,000 you divide by 16 which gives you 101,304 so you divide the boroughs total crime 31,193 by 16 which gives you Manhatten's rate of 1949.56.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:19 PM

SLAY-CAM HORROR - New York Post

This kid got killed at W. 141st Street and that means the homicide is zoned to the 32nd precinct according to the nypd precinct maps yet no reported homicide on the 32nd precinct intresting http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs032pct.pdf

Old 05-18-2009, 01:40 PM

KRS88..that murder or whatever it is has not been classified YET. I am not sure why this is a hard/difficult concept? Give it a little time...we already know that the stats are not IMMEDIATELY reflective of crime on a minute by minute basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City