Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 06:21 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,697,478 times

Advertisements

I was the one who posted the week of 9/8 about my first flight since 1978, how i overcame the fear and how I'm OK ( I'm not panic attack material but some strong stomach upset as can be expected) with flying basically(which i will remedy with herbal dramamine)

What i am seeking this time is how to make the airport experience and waiting more pleasurable than before. I find the airports to be grim, depressing impersonal places and past attempts to relax(going in to Borders and buying MAD or RollingStone to read on the plane) really didn't help.

Should I not get that big cup of coffee?

I wish i could wait outside the airport until the last minute but once you go thru security you can't go back out

I don't have a laptop to focus on so that's out

Any ideas? I'm on 3 medications so I can't stop in the bar for a drink so that's out too!!

Also, are passengers limited to bringing only one zip lock bag of gels and liquids in 3 oz/less bottles or can you bring more than one bag?

thanks so much

PS: the guy from Jackson Heights I'm going to Woodstock again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 07:09 AM

551 posts, read 1,576,820 times
You can only bring one bag of liquids on the plane. If you check your luggage, you can bring as much as you like.

Nobody likes airports, especially those that travel several times per week. You just need to focus on something else, a book, magazine, newspaper, or maybe some music. Sitting around waiting in an airport is no better or worse than sitting around the waiting room of a doctor or anywhere else that you are surrounded by impatient strangers. If you don't have a laptop and you can afford it, you can find portable DVD players for $100 these days that are the size of a medium-sized book.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:21 PM

939 posts, read 3,386,739 times
I always take a good book with me. It makes the time fly by.

pun intended

Old 11-11-2008, 08:19 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
I usually bury my head in a book as well, and I come equipped. I usually have a couple of books of interest, a laptop, a PSP or Nintendo DS, and my iPod. And, even with all of that, there are times when I am bored out of my mind when traveling. Sometimes I will buy a book or magazine at random by a new to me author or genre, within limits (no romance novels, for example), and will read it. A good movie can also do the trick.

It can also be intersting to people watch and I sometimes play a game with myself (when extremely bored) to determine which airline or destination to which a given person may be traveling. And, if that fails to entertain me, I return phone calls.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:54 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,576,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I was the one who posted the week of 9/8 about my first flight since 1978, how i overcame the fear and how I'm OK ( I'm not panic attack material but some strong stomach upset as can be expected) with flying basically(which i will remedy with herbal dramamine)

What i am seeking this time is how to make the airport experience and waiting more pleasurable than before. I find the airports to be grim, depressing impersonal places and past attempts to relax(going in to Borders and buying MAD or RollingStone to read on the plane) really didn't help.

Should I not get that big cup of coffee?

I wish i could wait outside the airport until the last minute but once you go thru security you can't go back out

I don't have a laptop to focus on so that's out

Any ideas? I'm on 3 medications so I can't stop in the bar for a drink so that's out too!!

Also, are passengers limited to bringing only one zip lock bag of gels and liquids in 3 oz/less bottles or can you bring more than one bag?

thanks so much

PS: the guy from Jackson Heights I'm going to Woodstock again!!
I find it comforting to close my eyes, say a prayer for safety, then proceed to daydream of all the lost loves in my life, of the women I once knew, the times we shared, and for others, the times that could have been.

This wandering into romances or near or missed ones from yesteryear makes me relaxed as I know that there was a time in my life when women were attracted to me and it more than compensates for the anxiety of air travel.

Perhaps, you too can reminisce about some events in your life which once brought a smile to your face. And have a safe and pleasant round trip to/from Atlanta!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:58 AM

well, I charged my cell phone in the outlet in laguardia!! I think that took longer than the flight itself! i look forward to arriving at the Atl airport and having lunch--they have some cool places to eat like the Atlanta Bread Company, a cool Southern style place and Seattle's best coffee before i get on the MARTA train for the hour long ride to the suburbs

Old 11-12-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
well, I charged my cell phone in the outlet in laguardia!! I think that took longer than the flight itself! i look forward to arriving at the Atl airport and having lunch--they have some cool places to eat like the Atlanta Bread Company, a cool Southern style place and Seattle's best coffee before i get on the MARTA train for the hour long ride to the suburbs
hey rl, in the other thread you're asking how to get to la guardia and in this thread you have an earlier post saying that you're already in the air. what's up? thanks.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:41 AM

probably the paxil making my thoughts race!!

Old 11-12-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
probably the paxil making my thoughts race!!
so you're in the air, but then again, not really!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:23 PM

Default yes,

like John lennon said on "Strawberry Fields" "I think I know of thee ah yes but its all wrong, that is i think i disagree"

no, what i actually meant by charging the cellphone, that was in september when i flew for the first time since 1978. this time around i was asking people for an alternative to just charging the cellphone. i fly out on 11/24

back in '78 i had no cellphone to charge, and life was so carefree i had no need to take paxil! (not even around back then)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City