Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:41 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,576,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
^ What you just wrote can also be apply to immigrants. They come here and bring their own values and cultures and dont care about how the people there were living. So you will hate on them aswell?

NYC is a city full of diversity and different likes, all trying to live toguether. even though they don't have to like eachother. I like that NYC. Hipsters, Immigrants, White, Black, Hispanic, Asians, Proffesionals, Working Class, Middle Class, Poor, Yuppies or even the Thuggish types, LOL. That is NYC.

Good post - I agree with your take - except that I can do without thugs - whether local, transplanted, or foreign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 09:54 AM

Guys, I realized right off the bat how touchy an issue this is and I believe the OP knows that also. I tried to put a light-hearted spin on it but it's perhaps too touchy an issue for many to entertain any levity on this matter.

As cyrusjul mentioned, do we hate on all newcomers - immigrants and out of towners? I've discussed in other threads that we've all got to come together - existing residents, newcomers, developers, landlords, governments , community activists and organizers and work things out. Redevelopment is inevitable, there's no doubt. How to make it workable and all-inclusive is what's needed, not hating on transplants nor transplants turning up their noses on inhabitants of the neighborhood they've moved into.

I truly believe we need a larger pie so that more slices become available and we don't have to fight each other for whatever crumbs or crusts we can latch on to.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:00 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
except that I can do without thugs - whether local, transplanted, or foreign.
Yeah me too. I just dont want to come out as a hater.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Yeah me too. I just dont want to come out as a hater.
i hear ya.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:52 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,937 times
I live in Morningside Heights now, I have a lot of friends and family in Harlem and as you all know if you just cross the street on certain blocks or the park you are in either one of those neighborhoods.

IMHO I think that the hipster relationship with the community is actually better in Harlem than in Morningside Heights overall. I also think that hipster - community relationship in Harlem has helped to improve the hipster - community relationship in Morningside Heights. Hipsters are of course part of the community.

For example on a block where some of my family members have owned brownstones for years way before it was chic to own one. They along with other families were in the fight of their lives to save the block and the surrounding neighborhood. This has been successful, most all of the tenement buildings except 2 privately owned ones (owned by the same person) have turned into HDFC coops.

Other abandoned brownstones have been bought and re-habbed several young people in these families appear to be hipsters. So they have gotten to know other hipsters in the neighborhood and other young people that have always lived there. They participate in block parties and have started tuturing children on their own, on the block. They have also learned the time honored Harlem tradition of pausing to speak to our elders for a few minutes before we continue on our way walking down the block. I was amazed to see this at first.

Also there are now friends of parks organizations in Harlem and Morningside Heights. Both met with opposition from the long time residents at first. However the Harlem groups worked hard to be inclusive and get ideas and input from the community. While there is still some tensions things have gone well. Long time residents are participants in the groups. While the Morningside Heights group was not inclusive and tried some tricky manuevers to stop the long time residents from using the park as they have been doing for years especially for sport events and bbq's. The parks dept had to be called in to put an end to the manuevers. Also the hipsters see that the crime around the buildings near the park goes down when the park is in use this way.

Overall the city is changing and has been for a while in a good way. You can see this in the post on this forum. As for Harlem most people born since the 1980's in Harlem have not lived in an all Black and Latino Harlem. Most people start going to school outside of the community in middle school and most of the rest go to high school outside of the community. A hipster doesn't stand out to them.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:02 AM

456 posts, read 1,397,430 times
Going back to my original post, there was nothing in the question posed that indicates hatred. My question is simple: Why do so many of the uptown hipsters treat the people in the neighborhood with such rudeness and disdain? I have lived in places where different groups moved in over time--both in NYC and elsewhere--and never have I seen or experienced such tension. Diversity is the spice of life. Imo, there is no need for this. I am trying to understand it. My question would apply to the "thuggish" types as well. But my original post has to do with the newest throng of neighborhood "immigrants." It is not an indictment; it is an honest question.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:04 AM

821 posts, read 1,040,356 times
It is the colonialist attitude.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:05 AM

456 posts, read 1,397,430 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Guys, I realized right off the bat how touchy an issue this is and I believe the OP knows that also. I tried to put a light-hearted spin on it but it's perhaps too touchy an issue for many to entertain any levity on this matter.

As cyrusjul mentioned, do we hate on all newcomers - immigrants and out of towners? I've discussed in other threads that we've all got to come together - existing residents, newcomers, developers, landlords, governments , community activists and organizers and work things out. Redevelopment is inevitable, there's no doubt. How to make it workable and all-inclusive is what's needed, not hating on transplants nor transplants turning up their noses on inhabitants of the neighborhood they've moved into.

I truly believe we need a larger pie so that more slices become available and we don't have to fight each other for whatever crumbs or crusts we can latch on to.
Miles nails it here. (And, btw, I love your sense of humor and perspective, Miles.) This is a touchy subject, but one that will not go away if we choose to sweep it under the carpet. We need to come together. Somehow...

Old 11-15-2008, 11:08 AM

391 posts, read 1,249,412 times
still not sure what a hipster is. So a hipster is always white?

Old 11-15-2008, 11:08 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,937 times
Indie9, around what area are you experiencing this rudeness and disdain? I gave examples of some tensions that have been worked out. Where is this still happening? Please give examples of the types of rudeness displayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City