Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 03:26 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,676,352 times

Advertisements

I think Joe Bama is a hipster in disguise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 03:27 PM

391 posts, read 1,249,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles View Post
okay, i admit it. That was me, also with half the toupee green and the other half purple.

But please it would be a sin to assume all hipsters are like me.
lol

Old 11-15-2008, 03:27 PM

821 posts, read 1,040,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I think Joe Bama is a hipster in disguise
You'll never know, cuz no ever admits to being a hipster.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:34 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,859,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
Ok, but you are still msunderstanding what a hipster is.
A hipster is someone in there 20's to 30's who moves to an urban city from out of town.
They have a particular style of clothing and a stupid attitude.
This thread is about their rudeness in uptown neighborhoods.
My appology I thought you were talking about Hip Hop/Rappers. You can tell I am getting old.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:36 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,859,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
What? I think you are mistaken about what hipsters are, granted they are loosly defined, but a 12 y/o in an uptown middle school is far from a hipster.
You are speaking more of a rebelious youth mentality.
Yeah you're right. My youth ended with the end of Grunge. I am getting old.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:33 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,862,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I have ZERO sympathy for people who display racist attitudes toward white people who go into "their" neighborhoods, even if those white people are changing their neighborhoods. I also have zero tolerance for all the ignorant Dominicant and Puerto Ricans in this City who seem to have forgotten that millions of Latin Americans are white. The few times low-class, ghetto Latin people have talked smack IN FRONT OF ME about "white people" (which it is pretty clear I am) I have countered it with something to the effect of:

-Have you forgotten that not all Latins are black/mulatto like you?
-Been to Latin America lately? Plenty of people who look like me.

Or, in perfect Spanish: I'd appreciate that you not voice your racist attitude in front of me. If you feel that way, at least have the decency to keep it to yourself.

I have only dealt with this three times and those were my responses to the Latins "of color" who had the audacity to talk smack in front of me in their ghetto English or Spanglish. I have never been called names due to being white from any African-Americans in NYC, but maybe that is because I haven't spent a significant amount of time in any African-American neighborhood.

Though I am glad that people on this thread haven't justified what has happened to you, often people DO justify the racist responses of the black and "colored" Latin residents. This becomes a heated topic and sometimes people stoop as low as to justify racism to keep hipsters out of their neighborhoods.

Don't put up with that crap; put the people who accost you in their places...
I didn't put up with it. This was all so silly. This happened at an upscale supermarket, I am a regular customer. I was buying a lot that day because I was entertaining friends and relatives and I wanted to make some special dishes for them. What is the point of making good stuff if you don't share it with friends and family? My niece and I were checking out and some comments were made concerning black b**** buying expensive food. Unfortunately I read and understand spanish better than I speak it. So before I could respond, and say the appropriate thing, because these people are younger than me, my niece of course speaks perfect spanish and she responded not too nicely but she is of the same age group as them. I asked them all to cut it out and everything was peaceful.

However I spend a lot of money at that place so I was not going to just take that and walk out I complained to the manager after I checked out, that is when I was called a white b**** and I did follow up with a formal letter to the company. I did not point anyone out specifically nor was I impolite or rude. I worked in supermarkets from age 16 - 20 while I was in high school and college. I respect that line of work, I know how hard it is and I know what is required. So I try to always show respect for the people that work in that environment.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:41 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,576,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I didn't put up with it. This was all so silly. This happened at an upscale supermarket, I am a regular customer. I was buying a lot that day because I was entertaining friends and relatives and I wanted to make some special dishes for them. What is the point of making good stuff if you don't share it with friends and family? My niece and I were checking out and some comments were made concerning black b**** buying expensive food. Unfortunately I read and understand spanish better than I speak it. So before I could respond, and say the appropriate thing, because these people are younger than me, my niece of course speaks perfect spanish and she responded not too nicely but she is of the same age group as them. I asked them all to cut it out and everything was peaceful.

However I spend a lot of money at that place so I was not going to just take that and walk out I complained to the manager after I checked out, that is when I was called a white b**** and I did follow up with a formal letter to the company. I did not point anyone out specifically nor was I impolite or rude. I worked in supermarkets from age 16 - 20 while I was in high school and college. I respect that line of work, I know how hard it is and I know what is required. So I try to always show respect for the people that work in that environment.
So at the same store on the same occasion you were intermittently referred to in such a derogotary fashion but it seems they couldn't identify whether you were black or white or neither.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:50 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
So at the same store on the same occasion you were intermittently referred to in such a derogotary fashion but it seems they couldn't identify whether you were black or white or neither.
They were referring to my niece as black they didn't know we were together. My niece is a light complexioned black/latin person like Colin Powell or Vanessa Williams. I have shopped there plenty of times. It wasn't until after the comments were made by them and my niece that they realized we were together. It all happened so fast. My niece saw my last post and says that the 2 cashiers were Dominican and the delivery boys that were packing bags were Mexican. Not that it matters but I don't want to blame one group there is enough blame to go around. It was silly and I think that they were just young and they don't realize yet that money talks and I am a good paying customer.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:53 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,576,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
They were referring to my niece as black they didn't know we were together. My niece is a light complexioned black/latin person like Colin Powell or Vanessa Williams. I have shopped there plenty of times. It wasn't until after the comments were made by them and my niece that they realized we were together. It all happened so fast. My niece saw my last post and says that the 2 cashiers were Dominican and the delivery boys that were packing bags were Mexican. Not that it matters but I don't want to blame one group there is enough blame to go around. It was silly and I think that they were just young and they don't realize yet that money talks and I am a good paying customer.

it's an awful experience to have from anyone by anyone to anyone.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:20 PM
DAS

Yes it was unacceptable but what else is new. I don't think they knew what I am. My mother is from the Lakota nation in North Dakota, she is part white also. She met my father when she was an Army nurse. My father is from NY and his father is Latin. My grandfather did not want the family speaking spanish he came to NY in the 1920's as a youngster and it was tough for him so my father never really learned it.

The point of the thread is rude hipsters uptown, but I just want Indie9 to know that is not just an uptown thing the postering and all. Where I work it is the Ivy Leaguers and the privates against the CUNY's and the SUNY's. I belong to the CUNY group. We experience that same postering and mannerisms and some of these are Native NYer's. But we all bring home the same money depending on how long we are there and what positions we have.

Miles you are still #1 all the ladies on the forum can agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City