Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 06:26 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post

The point of the thread is rude hipsters uptown, but I just want Indie9 to know that is not just an uptown thing the postering and all. Where I work it is the Ivy Leaguers and the privates against the CUNY's and the SUNY's. I belong to the CUNY group. We experience that same postering and mannerisms and some of these are Native NYer's. But we all bring home the same money depending on how long we are there and what positions we have.
Absolutely correct. Some will find some rationale to look down on someone else - sometimes it's race, other times national origin, ethnicity, Manhatatn vs outer boroughs, Columbia vs City College. Those who need a crutch such as that to feel superior or good about themselves are surely deficient in other ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 06:28 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Miles you are still #1 all the ladies on the forum can agree.
Wow! Now I know I'm in. All week I've been waiting for you to say hello to me. Felt kinda sleighted when you ignored me for that cyrus fella. Thanks for still being here for me, DAS.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:35 AM

938 posts, read 4,094,236 times
What is with the seemingly acceptable hate towards hipsters?

As of late the new trend is to despise groups of people, who are NOT involved in crime, who are NOT dependent on welfare/government programs, who are NOT the ones littering, destroying property, or vandalizing, who are NOT hanging out attacking people or otherwise making communities unsafe/undesirable, etc.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:58 AM

821 posts, read 1,039,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post

As of late the new trend is to despise groups of people, who are NOT involved in crime, who are NOT dependent on welfare/government programs, who are NOT the ones littering, destroying property, or vandalizing, who are NOT hanging out attacking people or otherwise making communities unsafe/undesirable, etc.
Hipsters are only a part of the transition in neighborhoods that people don't like.
Yes, they are not violent and are not on welfare- most likely dependent on mommy and daddy's money. But the people that were in the communities before deserve to be included in the change and not threatend by the change.
It is the collective problem of out of towners, hipsters, yuppies, joe schmoes, real estate developers, city planners, politicians and muffin shops.
Generations have been disrupted by the influx of out of towners with higher incomes. People can't afford to live where the grew up.
For decades the city let these communities rot and as soon as the "new" people came in they got more police, fixed parks, rennovated apts. As if the old school tenants didn't matter at all.
We need to do gentrification better, inclusive of everyone, and rude hipsters with their colonialist attitude make things very difficult to have a smooth transition.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:05 AM

184 posts, read 359,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post

have you ever been out to Willamsburg? these hipsters are driving existing ethnic communities out of their original neighborhoods where most of these people have already made their lives by moving in and having landlords jack up apartment prices

additionally, these hipsters are often closet bigots and segregationists- meaning that they will go to some Bedford L stop bar on Grand St or Bedford Ave, and bounce to the latest dirty south rap tune- in their "comfort zone" but they would never do that in a Flatbush bar or in Crown Heights where there are actual black, latin, caribbean, or other ethnicity out their to judge their actions and their janky dancing while wearing the latest flannel fashions, not shaving, and going 3-4 days without taking a shower

frankly, these hipsters disgust me- grow up and get a job you hippy- if these hipsters want to listen to the latest Diplomats record perhaps they shouldn't be so segregationist

Old 11-16-2008, 11:10 AM

468 posts, read 2,358,567 times
I didn't think there were enough hipsters uptown to even have an opinion of them. Where do hipsters hang out in Harlem? I usually assume most hipster-looking white people uptown are European tourists staying in hostels. Are there hipster bars up here I don't know about?

Old 11-16-2008, 11:13 AM

821 posts, read 1,039,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
I didn't think there were enough hipsters uptown to even have an opinion of them. Where do hipsters hang out in Harlem? I usually assume most hipster-looking white people uptown are European tourists staying in hostels. Are there hipster bars up here I don't know about?
There will be a hipster outpost coming soon to mark their territory. Probably a coffee shop wher they can go during the day and pretend to write a book on their laptop. And a bar that serves cheap beer out of a can for the night time.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:55 AM

51 posts, read 244,976 times
I live in DUMBO Brooklyn and I see a fair amont of hipsters. Here's the deal. The true hipsters are actually very cool/chill folks. They are pretty open, friendly, and non judmental types. I know al lot of Musicians that fit the descriotion on a true hipster.

Then you have the fake Hipsters that IMO, comprise the majority. These are the trust fund kids or simply NERDS who need to cling to a persona - much like high school- to define themselves. How do I know they are fake? Usually,you can tell by there level of discomfort whenever they interact with someone who is different then them. Still if someone is blocking a doorway or a sidewalk, I have no problem "educating" them about what real New Yorker's reaction would be.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:53 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,567 times
No but seriously where do these people hang out? Are these bars and coffeeshops secret? 'Cause I really didn't think they existed up here.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:18 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
hipsters lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City