Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,726 times

Advertisements

hi guys, i'm visiting manhattan this coming saturday (nov 22-nov25) with my family. I have been to the city a few other times but always have trouble finding places to eat at the last minute so this year I thought I should ask for some advice beforehand. I am visiting new york with my parents and my two younger sisters (ages 15 and 7) so I am looking for some places to eat that would accomodate us. We are going to be spending time around midtown, upper east and west side near central park, greenwich village, lower east side, canal street, time square... basically everywhere! we were maybe planning on trying serendipity and joe allens... any opinions on those????

ANY suggestions would be wonderful... breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, pizza, cafes... you name it!!!!

Thank you so much in advance for any of your suggestions!!!!!!

melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 07:19 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,917 times
How about the real-deal NYC Deli experience? Carnegie Deli - Home

Old 11-16-2008, 08:05 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel5038 View Post
hi guys, i'm visiting manhattan this coming saturday (nov 22-nov25) with my family. I have been to the city a few other times but always have trouble finding places to eat at the last minute so this year I thought I should ask for some advice beforehand. I am visiting new york with my parents and my two younger sisters (ages 15 and 7) so I am looking for some places to eat that would accomodate us. We are going to be spending time around midtown, upper east and west side near central park, greenwich village, lower east side, canal street, time square... basically everywhere! we were maybe planning on trying serendipity and joe allens... any opinions on those????

ANY suggestions would be wonderful... breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, pizza, cafes... you name it!!!!

Thank you so much in advance for any of your suggestions!!!!!!

melissa
If you end up on the UWS at the Museum of Natural History or therabouts, I'd recommend a great Italian restaurant named "Bella Luna" at 88/Columbus Avenue.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:45 AM

701 posts, read 3,326,165 times
The problem with your question is that there are simply too many choices. New York City has more good restaurants per block, than any other city in the United States, if not the entire world.
Based on your itinerary though, I would suggest trying a restaurant in Chinatown for Dim Sum (basically, brunch). Not only is it good food, it's an experience.

Around Times Square, let me throw in Virgil's for bbq.

These should all be "family pleasing" options.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:15 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
If you really like food I find that the New York Magazine's yearly lists are the most reliable. I've been to around half of the restaurants on each list and they were all good.

Where To Eat: 100 Best Retaurants Adam Platt's Where to Eat 2008 -- New York Magazine (rather expensive, destination places) and Cheap Eats The Cheap List - Cheap Eats 2008 -- New York Magazine

Old 11-17-2008, 04:10 PM

8 posts, read 17,234 times
if you want a good brazilian-esque place:

www.churrascariatribeca.com (http://www.churrascariatribeca.com/tribeca/index.html - broken link)

Old 11-19-2008, 06:43 PM

20 posts, read 54,252 times
First off, I would check out New York Magazine which has reviews on a lotta restaurants in the city.

What is your price range? What kind of places are you looking for?

Some good restaurants:
BLT Burger (W. Village) - American, great milkshakes
Blue Water Grill (Union Square) - seafood
Cafetasia (W. Village) - Thai, pretty cheap
Dos Caminos (Upper East/Soho) - Mexican, they have a special where you can pay some money and they teach you how to cook a Mexican brunch, not sure how often they do it though
Elettaria (W. Village) - New American
Ivo & Lulu (Soho) - French/Caribbean
Joe's Shanghai (Chinatown) - Chinese
Jolie Restaurant (Brooklyn) - French, great place for brunch
Kang Suh (Koreatown/Midtown West) - Korean bbq/Japanese sushi
Pipa (Union Square) - Spanish/Tapas, right next to the movie theater, north of Union Square
Public (Nolita) - American, great environment
Riki (Midtown East) - Japanese...one of the best authentic Japanese restaurants in the city, great value too.

There aren't that many great restaurants in Times Square (don't go to Ruby Foo's, over-priced PF Chang's.) Good family places like Tony's and Carmine's, they are decent Italian restaurants.

Other Places:
Shake Shack - popular burger place in Madison Square Park, granted you may have to stand in line for an hour
Magnolia's - bakery
Crumb - cupcakes (across the street from Cafetasia)
Pinkberry/Red Mango - froyo places
Max Brenner - chocolate place in Union Square
Ten Ren Teahouse - Chinatown and other locations...fun place

Old 11-19-2008, 07:24 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
Go to hell's kitchen for great food in Manhattan, or clinton as they call it now

Old 11-19-2008, 07:29 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Max Brenners fo the chocolate fix - 13 & broadway

Old 11-19-2008, 09:04 PM

96 posts, read 307,434 times
The only place that I MUST go and eat at when we come to the city is Wonton Garden in Chinatown on Motts. They have the BEST dim sum and other outstanding food. 7 more days until my tummy can taste it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City