Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:39 AM

11 posts, read 25,402 times

Advertisements

Alright so I'm an incoming 21 yro male student in the harlem/morningside area. I used to live in a high-crime zone so I actually own 2 stun-guns and a few switchblades.

Now, I know for a fact that switchblades are illegal in NYC so I'll leave them at home.

But what about my stun-guns, pepper spray, and a (legal) spring-operated knife? (7 inch blade). That one is legal because I got it at a Home Depot store back home haha.

I know there were like, 1000-2000 crimes/homocides last year or something in NYC? I do plan on going out to bars and hitting the clubs after class.

So I was wondering....does anyone else carry self-defense weapons here? Are they even legal? I don't plan to carry guns or anything, but does anyone else walk around at night carrying a handgun to protect themselves? What about stun-guns?

Old 11-21-2008, 06:45 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,100,541 times
Can you even legally buy a stun-gun?? No, you can not walk around NYC carrying a handgun, not sure about pepper spray.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:49 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,100,541 times
Nope, no stun guns

Stun Gun Laws

no worries, I am a female that lives in the area you are talking about and i walk around carrying nothing. You should be fine just be smart.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:59 AM

536 posts, read 2,349,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslicker585 View Post
So I was wondering....does anyone else carry self-defense weapons here? Are they even legal? I don't plan to carry guns or anything, but does anyone else walk around at night carrying a handgun to protect themselves?
Unless they're some kind of criminal or EXTREMELY paranoid, probably not. The risk of getting arrested for carrying a concealed firearm is too great. People carrying guns around here are probably doing it for a different type of self-defense than what you're talking about. stay out of trouble, you won't need to.

switchblades and gravity knives are illegal without a license statewide, you won't find them in Home Depots here, I believe, so stick to I dunno, a sharpened pocket knife if it makes you feel better. ::shrug?::

Old 11-21-2008, 08:16 AM

101 posts, read 300,891 times
stay home please

Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
Alright so I'm an incoming 21 yro male student in the harlem/morningside area. I used to live in a high-crime zone so I actually own 2 stun-guns and a few switchblades.

Now, I know for a fact that switchblades are illegal in NYC so I'll leave them at home.

But what about my stun-guns, pepper spray, and a (legal) spring-operated knife? (7 inch blade). That one is legal because I got it at a Home Depot store back home haha.

I know there were like, 1000-2000 crimes/homocides last year or something in NYC? I do plan on going out to bars and hitting the clubs after class.

So I was wondering....does anyone else carry self-defense weapons here? Are they even legal? I don't plan to carry guns or anything, but does anyone else walk around at night carrying a handgun to protect themselves? What about stun-guns?

There were not 1000-2000 homicides. More like 600.

Are you afraid someone will try to kill you and you will defend yourself with a knife? Or do you just want to scare them when they try to steal your wallet?

I'm just unclear on the motivation behind carrying these things and how you think you might utilize a knife if you have the opportunity.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:45 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,881 times
Quote:

Wow have you been watching too much of those violent movies about NYC lately? A lot of it is fiction and some of it might be reality, but no need to carry so much paranoid protection. Those crime numbers seem big, but there are 8 million people here, plus almost 40 million tourists and millions more of commuters a year, and most of them are no victims of crime. The most likely thing that can happen to you (but it might never happen) is been robbed. But Please just give them what they want, if you try to defend your self you might jeopordize your life in the process.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:15 AM

Well, just browsing through the forum alone, I see at least 20-40 of you who's been "mugged" or "robbed' or "pick-pocketed."

I'm new here, so I don't know what the reality is, but wasn't recently a Columbia student was randomly beaten up by a gang and died after running into traffic?

With the number of pickpocketing and mugging, it kind of irritates me and annoys me to walk out and feel that any group of guys walking towards me is going to stick their hands in my pocket and grab my credit card or put a real/fake gun to my back and demand my wallet. If anything like that happens, I was just going to pull out a knife of my own and demand my wallet back. I mean, understand a lot of people live in poverty, and I give loads of cash to homeless guys all the time (remember, I used to live in a high crime area). If you want cash and you're poor, all you have to do is walk up to me and say "hey, can you spare some change?" and I'll give it to you. But if you walk up to me with a knife and say "give me your wallet or I'll cut your throat," I'll most likely return the favor with my own weapons and say "give me my wallet back, or I'll cut YOUR throat."

Old 11-21-2008, 09:17 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,670,066 times
If you are that paranoid, stay where you are, jeez.

"give me your wallet or i'll cut your throat"??? You're watching too much TV.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
If you are that paranoid, stay where you are, jeez.

"give me your wallet or i'll cut your throat"??? You're watching too much TV.

My friend grew up in NYC and he said he's been mugged every year, since he was 15. He's 23 now and he said the first time, a group of 3 black guys (not to sound racist here) approached him by the subway, pointed a gun to his face, and demanded his wallet.

I don't know...maybe it's really not this bad in NYC...but if someone points a gun to my face in complete darkness where no one is around, I'd be pretty scared I'd get shot, even after giving them my wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City