Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 10:44 AM

142 posts, read 505,223 times

Advertisements

How is Bay Ridge? Atmosphere-wise, rent-wise, commute to the city for work-wise, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 01:19 PM

30 posts, read 139,914 times
I live in Bay Ridge, right at the bottom and use the 95th street subway. It's a lovely enclave, very safe, family-oriented, fairly quiet at night. Full of people that have been here for generations as well as younger professionals looking to escape the rest of Brooklyn. Newer residents tend to come here because they want the suburban feel while being within easy reach of Manhattan. My roomie has lived here for a few years, and she says it feels more Long Island than Brooklyn.

There's also an Italian part and an Irish part - they both feel nice, but are both slightly different - and pockets of Greek and Lebanese families. I think the bustle increases the further up you go, like in the 70s where the Irish pubs and younger professionals are. I think the 90s where I am are quieter.

Much of Bay Ridge is within a few blocks of Shore Park to the west, with great views of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. It takes half an hour to walk from where I am to the top of the park and the Veterans jetty with great views of Manhattan. At the bottom of the park, you will find yourself at the end of Bay Ridge and the start of Fort Hamilton.

There are lots of mom and pop shops but also a convenient mix of chains.

It is a desirable area, but within every desirable area there are the less popular and more popular neighborhoods. I think rent can vary but as I've only been here a few months, I am not confident enough to compare to other parts of Brooklyn. It's probably more affordable than the trendier parts of Bklyn, though, considering how much further it is from Manhattan. I remember feeling kind of priced out of W'burg and Park Slope.

And there's the rub - distance. I worked near City Hall downtown and even with express trains it took 45 minutes on a good day. There are those who will call this a good commute. Most of that time is taken just getting out of Brooklyn, which is vast. It takes about an hour if all is running well and without long waits for trains, to get to, say, 42nd St/Times Square.
It can take up to 2.5 hrs to get to Parkchester, Bronx.
About an hour and a bit to Jersey City.

If you fall in love with Bay Ridge enough, as many do, I think the commute can be worth it - and in the mornings I've seen many fellow B.R. residents staying on the subway when I got off at Canal St, and I admired their patience. But I am not good at time management, so an hour anywhere is not attractive to me. I am a lover of the under-half-hour trip!

I hope some long time residents or more settled transplants can give you more info than I have, or correct any inaccuracies I've may have made.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:03 PM

650 posts, read 2,518,030 times
Overall a great neighborhood. As above its fairly affordable compared to the trendy parts of Brooklyn

Old 01-10-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureistheword View Post
Overall a great neighborhood. As above its fairly affordable compared to the trendy parts of Brooklyn
Can you get a 1 bedroom for $1000 there? Thanks.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:13 PM

650 posts, read 2,518,030 times
many 1BR are going to start around 1200 but a studio is fine

Old 01-11-2009, 10:12 PM

283 posts, read 1,072,429 times
I have a friend in Bay Ridge, near Ovington and 5th Avenues, who has a really beautiful 1BR for under $1000. But it may be stabilized. I was thinking of moving down there and from my research, it looks like there are some 1-bedrooms in the $1k range but you may need to go up to $1100 or more to be safe.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:36 AM

22 posts, read 63,460 times
I'm about to move in to the area of 70 Street and Colonial Rd and was also wondering about the neighborhood. I'll be close to Owl's head park but also close to that Sewage treatment plant.

Bay Ridge seems nice and quiet. However, parking looks like its going to be hard, especially at night. I've checked out the forums Mod cut: no competing sitesand the residents seem like a great group of people.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-12-2009 at 05:29 AM..

Old 01-12-2009, 11:40 AM

Is Bay Ridge a place you really need a car to get marketing done, go out at night, etc. or can you can around ok via walking, buses and subways?
Thanks.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:45 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Bay Ridge is great for walking and public transportation. It's one of the best neighborhoods in NY. Spend some time there and you'll prefer the local nightlife scene to the trendy pretentious Manhattan/Williamsburg scene.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:32 AM

7 posts, read 32,844 times
I think Bay Ridge is one of the best kept secrets of the city. To me it has an ideal mix of city and quiet suburban like feel. I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City