Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 02:19 AM

185 posts, read 752,223 times

Advertisements

I don't think New Yorkers will ever be content. We're too utopian at heart (which can be a good thing ) When New Yorkers get what they want they demand more and more. Crime down.. well tough, we want it FURTHER down ) etc. ITs like one big city of empowered perfectionists who won't rest until heaven meets earth right here in the 5 boros. (of course our individualism gets the best of us when we fight over what that would look like)

Old 05-22-2009, 01:26 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
I think an even more relevant question is, how do we go about achieving safety in all areas of the city not just desired ones?
This is a simple question but impossible to implement. The quickest and most efficient way to reduce crime immediately is by getting rid of all the black and hispanic minorities. That will achieve the necessary goals of increasing safety dramatically in every part of city and not just in certain areas. Statistics show these two groups make up the most crime despite their much smaller numbers compared to every other racial group in the city. So logically if they go so does alot of the crimes they commit and areas across the city become safer as neighborhoods are gentrified, etc.,etc. Or you can impose marshall law. Either way what these over the top scenarios show you is that nyc is not all that safe. It's safe enough in certain areas and certain times but in the end it's just perception and nothing more. People living here are often lulled in thinking it's perfectly safe until something finally happens to them.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:32 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Krichton how then do you account for the massive crime, corruption and violence in NYC for the decades before all the people of color showed up? There were gangs everywhere, and NYC was well known for its hellish ghettos of filth, street crime, thuggery, and violence....yet there were no people of color around...so not sure why you believe removing one portion of the population changes anything. Leave the race issue out of it, as it will probably only get you banned for making such offensive statements. And for the record, in NYC people of color are the MAJORITY, and whites are the minority, and around the globe people of color are the MAJORITY, and whites are the minority..so who is the real minority group huh? And all those crime declines as of late that has made NYC safer than it has been over the past 40+ years was when the white population was DECLINING and the population of people of color was RISING. In fact over the last few years, when crime has plummeted to record levels, whites continued to LEAVE while people of color's population grew..so from where I stand..NYC's crime rate has an inverse relationship with white's..the more white's leave NYC, and the more people of color move in, the safer NYC is becoming...that has been the trend for sometime now. So maybe you should rethink what segment needs to be "removed." Kinda funny huh?

Old 05-24-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Krichton how then do you account for the massive crime, corruption and violence in NYC for the decades before all the people of color showed up? There were gangs everywhere, and NYC was well known for its hellish ghettos of filth, street crime, thuggery, and violence....yet there were no people of color around...so not sure why you believe removing one portion of the population changes anything.
Um, different time period perhaps? Why not go all the way back to the days when Indians still populated all of America while you're at it? How is it even relevant to compare another time period when the political, social and economical conditions of that time were not even remotely the same as they are now? Can we focus alittle here?

Quote:
Leave the race issue out of it, as it will probably only get you banned for making such offensive statements. And for the record, in NYC people of color are the MAJORITY, and whites are the minority, and around the globe people of color are the MAJORITY, and whites are the minority..so who is the real minority group huh? And all those crime declines as of late that has made NYC safer than it has been over the past 40+ years was when the white population was DECLINING and the population of people of color was RISING. In fact over the last few years, when crime has plummeted to record levels, whites continued to LEAVE while people of color's population grew..so from where I stand..NYC's crime rate has an inverse relationship with white's..the more white's leave NYC, and the more people of color move in, the safer NYC is becoming...that has been the trend for sometime now. So maybe you should rethink what segment needs to be "removed." Kinda funny huh?
I never said anything about minorities as a whole. My argument is specifically about blacks and hispanics because they commit a majority of the crimes in the city statistically. I'll just end it there because the rest of your paragraph doesn't even have the slightest thing to do with what I actually said. It's too bad political correctness has rotted your ability to reason. In your eagerness to defend any and all you didn't even bother to comprehend what I actually wrote.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:18 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
I never said anything about minorities as a whole.

Quote:
The quickest and most efficient way to reduce crime immediately is by getting rid of all the black and hispanic minorities.
correct me if im wrong but i think you just contradicted yourself big time. you might want to really think about what you say before you speak (or type). i see where you're coming from, but black and hispanic minorities are the majority of the "minority" in NYC. either way, the way to reduce crime is just not to get rid of one race. it is not in blacks' or hispanics' gene pool to commit crimes, as you may think. socioeconomic status will determine who is more likely to commit a violent crime. the reason why statistically black and hispanics commit more crime is because they are generally poorer. i will bet my whole bank account that the majority of people commiting violent crime in NYC are not rich. and its not about being politically correct its about knowing facts, which you dropped the ball with this argument.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-24-2009, 10:24 AM

47 posts, read 168,234 times
Quote:
This is a simple question but impossible to implement. The quickest and most efficient way to reduce crime immediately is by getting rid of all the black and hispanic minorities. That will achieve the necessary goals of increasing safety dramatically in every part of city and not just in certain areas. Statistics show these two groups make up the most crime despite their much smaller numbers compared to every other racial group in the city. So logically if they go so does alot of the crimes they commit and areas across the city become safer as neighborhoods are gentrified, etc.,etc. Or you can impose marshall law. Either way what these over the top scenarios show you is that nyc is not all that safe. It's safe enough in certain areas and certain times but in the end it's just perception and nothing more. People living here are often lulled in thinking it's perfectly safe until something finally happens to them.
Hitler would approve.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,468 times
Much safer than 70s. I'm single, female, lived on UWS then and now. Riverside Park is now a gem; a junkyard and home for junkies then. I had my purse snatched off my shoulder three times in Midtown in mid-80s. Nothing like that now. I personally chased down one of these perps (a mere kid) and he was prosecuted and sent upstate. And I'm a liberal!

Old 05-24-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
correct me if im wrong but i think you just contradicted yourself big time. you might want to really think about what you say before you speak (or type).
Contradiction? How so? If I included all minorities as a whole in my argument wouldn't that also mean I would have to include asians, russians, italians, etc. as well instead of specifically singling out blacks and hispanics? Here's a quote of what I wrote.

Quote:

The quickest and most efficient way to reduce crime immediately is by getting rid of all the black and hispanic minorities.
How is this to be construed as me saying ALL MINORITIES? This sentence is pretty straightforward. I don't see how it can be interpreted any other way.

Quote:
i see where you're coming from, but black and hispanic minorities are the majority of the "minority" in NYC. either way, the way to reduce crime is just not to get rid of one race. it is not in blacks' or hispanics' gene pool to commit crimes, as you may think.
I never implied or stated that it was in black and hispanic blood to commit crimes. Do not put words in my mouth. But it is what it is. Those 2 groups commit the overwhelming majority of crime in the city. How do you make ALL areas of nyc relatively safe in this hypothetical scenario? You get rid of what's causing the crime. It's just simple logic and common sense.

Quote:
socioeconomic status will determine who is more likely to commit a violent crime. the reason why statistically black and hispanics commit more crime is because they are generally poorer. i will bet my whole bank account that the majority of people commiting violent crime in NYC are not rich. and its not about being politically correct its about knowing facts, which you dropped the ball with this argument.
You're making a broad and general statement that doesn't even address all the facts. Yes the poor are more likely to commit crimes but is that the whole story? Why aren't poor immigrants from eastern, western asia and the middle east committing any discernable amount of crimes in the city? Surely their numbers are large enough to get a good percentage. Again I agree that poor ppl are more likely to commit crimes, but in nyc the poor minorities committing a majority of the crime are blacks and hispanics, not poor minorities on a whole.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:34 PM

75 posts, read 563,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
correct me if im wrong but i think you just contradicted yourself big time. you might want to really think about what you say before you speak (or type). i see where you're coming from, but black and hispanic minorities are the majority of the "minority" in NYC. either way, the way to reduce crime is just not to get rid of one race. it is not in blacks' or hispanics' gene pool to commit crimes, as you may think. socioeconomic status will determine who is more likely to commit a violent crime. the reason why statistically black and hispanics commit more crime is because they are generally poorer. i will bet my whole bank account that the majority of people commiting violent crime in NYC are not rich. and its not about being politically correct its about knowing facts, which you dropped the ball with this argument.
Canada's unemployment rate is 10%, US is 8%. Canada has less than 1/2 the crime that we do. They also have less than 1/2 the Blacks and 1/2 the Hispanics that we do.

The excuse of poverty just doesn't quite do it for me, sorry.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:06 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Contradiction? How so? If I included all minorities as a whole in my argument wouldn't that also mean I would have to include asians, russians, italians, etc. as well instead of specifically singling out blacks and hispanics? Here's a quote of what I wrote.

How is this to be construed as me saying ALL MINORITIES? This sentence is pretty straightforward. I don't see how it can be interpreted any other way.

I never implied or stated that it was in black and hispanic blood to commit crimes. Do not put words in my mouth. But it is what it is. Those 2 groups commit the overwhelming majority of crime in the city. How do you make ALL areas of nyc relatively safe in this hypothetical scenario? You get rid of what's causing the crime. It's just simple logic and common sense.

You're making a broad and general statement that doesn't even address all the facts. Yes the poor are more likely to commit crimes but is that the whole story? Why aren't poor immigrants from eastern, western asia and the middle east committing any discernable amount of crimes in the city? Surely their numbers are large enough to get a good percentage. Again I agree that poor ppl are more likely to commit crimes, but in nyc the poor minorities committing a majority of the crime are blacks and hispanics, not poor minorities on a whole.
excuse me but asian immigrants do commit crime, every race commits crime....tell me you've never walked on canal street and seen the amount of bootlegging of consumer goods for example...that is against the law. if u read my post, i said VIOLENT crime....like shootings, etc. that happens frequently among blacks and hispanics. and that is the whole story. poor people are more likely to commit VIOLENT crime, no matter the race. and blacks and hispanics make up a large portion of the minorities so u might as well say all minorities in my opinion.

here's a twist to my argument....if you're familiar with south boston, you would know that that neighborhood is full of projects, and lower income irish and from what my friend who lives there says, its still a pretty tough neighborhood. so to make south boston better would you get rid of the irish?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City