Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 06:11 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnyy View Post
Canada's unemployment rate is 10%, US is 8%. Canada has less than 1/2 the crime that we do. They also have less than 1/2 the Blacks and 1/2 the Hispanics that we do.

The excuse of poverty just doesn't quite do it for me, sorry.
you cannot compare canada to the US. two completely different structured governments. they have a prime minister we have a president. on top of that, u really cant compare canada to the us because canada only has about 33 million people.....the us has 10 times as many people lol. so 10% unemplyment rate of 33 million people is nothing compared to 8% of unemployment rate of 300 million. of all the countries you pick to compare the us to, u choose canada? lol.

and on top of that, u try to commit crime in canada.....canada is freezing cold most of the time, so try to rob somebody when its 10 below outside. the country overall will have a lower crime rate due to its climate. the crime rate of phoenix arizona is prolly higher than canada as a whole.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-26-2009, 10:07 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
excuse me but asian immigrants do commit crime, every race commits crime....tell me you've never walked on canal street and seen the amount of bootlegging of consumer goods for example...that is against the law. if u read my post, i said VIOLENT crime....like shootings, etc. that happens frequently among blacks and hispanics. and that is the whole story. poor people are more likely to commit VIOLENT crime, no matter the race. and blacks and hispanics make up a large portion of the minorities so u might as well say all minorities in my opinion.

here's a twist to my argument....if you're familiar with south boston, you would know that that neighborhood is full of projects, and lower income irish and from what my friend who lives there says, its still a pretty tough neighborhood. so to make south boston better would you get rid of the irish?
Neither has this guy heard of the Ghost Shadows or Flying Tigers dropping Uzis and Mac 10's all over East Broadway back in the 80s and early 90s.

Let me respond for him:

Quote:
How is it even relevant to compare another time period when the political, social and economical conditions of that time were not even remotely the same as they are now? Can we focus alittle here?
Mod cut: not necessary.

Last edited by Viralmd; 05-26-2009 at 10:20 AM..

Old 05-26-2009, 10:08 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
quote=justfarr1030;7071940]

Exactly. Another interesting thing is there are also other big cities with low crime rates.

Toronto - 2.5million (Chicago has almost 3milion and they have very high crime).
San Diego - 1.3million (not too far from LA distance wise and with 3.8 million) and Detroit (almost a million people and about the same population wise) has high crime.

Both these big cities do not have a crime problem and while I am sure they're ghettos aren't any different from any others, the murders (etc) are virtually non-existent for cities of those sizes. I know people will say "Well NYC has 8million people) so that's why I compared both of those cities to Chicago (because they aren't that far apart population wise and Chicago (Detroit also) has a higher crime rate than those cities I mentioned. What is about LA and San Diego that makes them low wit crime but Chicago and Detroit can't find the answer?

So you're right, we can't just say because "it's a city for crying out loud" that we should automatically expect high crime and lots of murders because as other cities have shown there is not always a direct relation.[/quote]

Simple answer to your question: Economics.

Detroit totally and Chicago partly, are 'Rust Belt' cities, as well as the major cities of Ohio, Indiana, etc. The economic base of those areas (Chicago being a partial exception) has collapsed. Plain and simple. No fair paying jobs and vibrant economy equals crime.

New York City as been economically booming for quite some time Personal attack

Well, you all might not want to face or comprehend reality, but the boom is OVER! Ever month from here on out will get worse and worse economically; and with that will come crime that you have never imagine.

70s/80s crime is in the mail---only a matter of time. Personal attack

Better prey like heck that Bloomberg gets re-elected, though his re-election will only matter marginally because he won't have the money to keep you safe; nor to provide you with the 'services' you feel entitled to.

Better hope like H, that drugs do not make a comeback, especially Coke/Crack or something new and equally as bad. Though hope won't help. Sure as H, drugs WILL make a comeback. It's already occurring in Europe. I recently read Coke usage has grown 300% in Great Britain since 1996.

Note, the mid-70s to the early 80s was a economic Recession period. Here we go again....

Personal attack

Last edited by Viralmd; 05-26-2009 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Personal attacks.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:49 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Crime is actually not on the rise in NYC..and in fact, every month that goes by is setting yet another record drop in the crime rate..murders are WAY down..even from the record lows of the past few years, as is crime overall. NYC is in a position to whether the storm like no other city in the country..it has the brain power, skill set, manpower, AND the frightful memory of the 70sand 80s...any hint that the 70s may be returning is the best motivation to get this city back on track. Will the city be depressed fro awhile? Yup. Will it still be the tourist mecca of the US, the choice for the global elite, the epicenter of the financial system, and the economic engine for the rest of the country, and the world. YUP. So no..we are not at any point to worry...and with Bloomberg at the helm, who has built a billiondollar global powerhouse from the ground up, nobody should be worried.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:18 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Statistically NYC is the safest largest city in the USA. It is much safer than it was in the 70s & 80s.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:36 PM

706 posts, read 3,763,709 times
I've lived in various parts of the city both lower and higher income areas.

I consider it safe.

I know it. I know where to go when, how.

It works fine for me!

Old 05-26-2009, 03:28 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
I think NYC is amazingly safe. Not only in terms of the statistics, but in terms of the feel of the city.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:49 AM

657 posts, read 1,632,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnyy View Post
Canada's unemployment rate is 10%, US is 8%. Canada has less than 1/2 the crime that we do. They also have less than 1/2 the Blacks and 1/2 the Hispanics that we do.

The excuse of poverty just doesn't quite do it for me, sorry.
LOL

C'mon man, look at the population difference between the two aforementioned places. This is COMMON SENSE.

PS: Asians commit crimes as well...ever heard of San Francisco China Town??? LA Korea Town, China Town Manhattan???

Old 05-27-2009, 05:09 PM

217 posts, read 921,593 times
Once all the criminals on Wall Street are locked up, I'll feel a little safer. At least my money might be safe!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:20 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I think NYC is amazingly safe. Not only in terms of the statistics, but in terms of the feel of the city.
I second the nomination! And note that if I didn't feel safe here, I'd move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City