Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:15 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,775 times

Advertisements

Crime is down according to stats, but if many of you, don't believe in the stats, but from what you hear, your experience or how you feel, then when will you consider NYC safe? I ask this because a few years ago crime was higher than it was in 2008, yet people back then will say NYC was safer. Well safer from what? From the 70's and 90's? So is this what people go by? Then if it is, shouldn't people keep saying that NYC is safe, even if you think the stats aren't that correct to you?

Old 01-15-2009, 12:24 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Thats an interesting question but it is really all relative. If someone is from Bosho, Kansas and moved to Bushwick, they may believe the city is UNSAFE. However, someone that is from Harlem (lived there for 30+years) may believe the city is SAFE (or at least MUCH safer). It is all relative based on where your from, and what safety means to you. I think overall the city is SAFE. Does that mean you can walk around with $100 bills hanging out of your pockets and gold chains on the train at 3 am? NO! Does it mean that you are UNLIKELY to be the victim of a crime if you take reasonable precautions and remove yourself from obvious "elements"...I say YES. And that is how I come to my conclusion, which does take into account the fact that I was around when things were REALLY bad and it was VERY UNSAFE to do ANYTHING. So I am biased in that regard.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:00 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
I'll consider it safe when I am able to walk down 183rd street without having to look at drug dealers, gang members, or stick up kids. Or when I can go down stairs in front of my building and not have like 10 guys standing in front smoking weed or selling drugs. This doesn't always happen, but it happens way too much for the so called safest big city.

When I am able to walk down any block without fear of getting jumped or robbed, then I will feel safe. Unfortunately, there are many blocks I cant walk through.

And I dont even live in the worst part of the Bronx. I can only imagine kids living around Guy's way. I definitely can't go through those hoods unarmed or undermanned (sp?).

Old 01-15-2009, 01:03 PM

I can agree with that SuperMario! If that is your life I can see why you believe the city is unsafe.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:05 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I can agree with that SuperMario! If that is your life I can see why you believe the city is unsafe.
It depends on where the person lives. Somebody living in Bayside, may find the city to be incredibly safe. But to someone living in East NY, Hunts Point, East Harlem etc, life is an every day struggle.

That's why I laugh at the safest big city stuff. Haha speak for yourself!

Old 01-15-2009, 01:08 PM

Well I agree that it is the safest big city, but that does not mean every inch of it is the same level of safety.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:29 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Thats an interesting question but it is really all relative. If someone is from Bosho, Kansas and moved to Bushwick, they may believe the city is UNSAFE. However, someone that is from Harlem (lived there for 30+years) may believe the city is SAFE (or at least MUCH safer). It is all relative based on where your from, and what safety means to you.
Best comment I've ever heard from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario
I'll consider it safe when I am able to walk down 183rd street without having to look at drug dealers, gang members, or stick up kids. Or when I can go down stairs in front of my building and not have like 10 guys standing in front smoking weed or selling drugs. This doesn't always happen, but it happens way too much for the so called safest big city.

When I am able to walk down any block without fear of getting jumped or robbed, then I will feel safe. Unfortunately, there are many blocks I cant walk through.
EXACTLY. Except in my case it's Brooklyn. And I don't even live in the worst part of Brooklyn, heck I don't even live in the worst part of Flatbush.

This is a great topic.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:05 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,529 times
I think an even more relevant question is, how do we go about achieving safety in all areas of the city not just desired ones?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:02 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
The argument about the safety of NYC now vs. the past seems crazy to me.I lived on the upper west side in the 1970's and it was very unsafe and totally scary.Ever hear of needle park? The subways were terrifying... even during the day. I lived on the LES in the 1980's. Same thing... scary.
Right now I live in the big bad Bronx and it is nothing compared to Manhattan in the 70's and 80's.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:00 AM

195 posts, read 741,441 times
When no criminals are following me once I get off from the train station, I will declare this is indeed a safe city!
Also, when I take a subway train at night after I finish my shift in the hospital, I will never feel someone is trying to "hunt" me down.
Of course, how can I forget to mention that when I have no longer worrying about my female relatives will become the victims of rape, robbery or God knows what else...Then, this city is truly safe!
...Or perhaps we don't even need the doorman to guard the front door...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City