Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:30 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGLISH1979 View Post
Without causing an argument my friend, I would argue that Americans are seen as people that no other continent would wish to emulate! Far from it - you are seen as loud, brash and thick.......discuss!! ha ha!!
You say things such as loud, brash as if they are insults. If you dont think people wanna emulate Americans, than tell all those folks abroad to stop buying Lebron james, Kobe Bryant, SHaquille Oneal, posters, jerserys and everything thing else American they can grab. I would argue that Englad at this point has become Americas pet poodle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 04:27 AM

20 posts, read 66,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
You say things such as loud, brash as if they are insults. If you dont think people wanna emulate Americans, than tell all those folks abroad to stop buying Lebron james, Kobe Bryant, SHaquille Oneal, posters, jerserys and everything thing else American they can grab. I would argue that Englad at this point has become Americas pet poodle
I would argue the antithesis - 1. that you need to learn how to spell "England" and 2. The "pet poodle" is the USA - it was quite funny watching your two houses stand and applaud Tony Blair - they were like his little pets! If the US is such the super-power, why do they need us Brits on every invasion they lead?

Also, it took Gordon Brown to lead the recovery by re-capitalising the banks - it was only after the UK did this that the rest of the world (including the US, as afterall believe it or not you are not "the rest of the world!") started to follow suit.

I also don't know anyone who buys the clothes you cite above but then again, that's because those who do choose to wear them in England are called "Chavs!"

Old 06-09-2010, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,423 times
Hey I am an English 25 year old looking to move to NYC. Why? Because it looks wicked cool in all the pics! Anyone got a job?

Email me - [email]jamieshearer@gmail.com[/email]

Old 06-09-2010, 04:20 PM

133 posts, read 301,293 times
There are alot of British here in DC. My boyfriend is a British Iranian and he says that London is becoming more violent and there are more job oppurtunities for his field, which is IT, in America.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:09 PM

4 posts, read 8,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
How can British or Irish people come to America complaining about being displaced by immigrants back home? Isn't that ironic? They THEMSELVES are the foreigners/immigrants in the United States and have to wait in line for their Greencard with the rest of the immigrants they supposedly look down upon back home. I don't know why they have such a big sense of entitlement coming to America like we're long lost cousins, they're as foreign as the hard working Mexican dude trying to make it in America, yet our society doesn't look at it that way - sad.

I think many Americans have a missguided view on why British people move to the US, the majority do not emmigrate because of immigration at home. There have been previous statements about buisness people being transferred here within their companies branches, another reason is simply to live the 'American dream' where people believe life will be more enjoyable and culturally diverse and accepting. The opportunities available in the US are limitless and as it is such a large country with each state a world away from the next it provides excitement and change from the average doom and gloom people see in their lives in the UK, many people do not perminantley live in the US and may only reside here for months or a few years and most definatley would not give up their own british residency including (free health care, dental, paid housing in some cases and the right to legally remain a British citizen) for a US green card. Last thought many people travel to the US to gain a diploma/ degree in their chosen subject and remain here, as is with people in the UK from the US, Autralia, New zealand, Poland etc. it is like this everywhere now because people are given the oppurtunity - why wouldn't you take it?

Old 07-01-2011, 07:09 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah277 View Post
I think many Americans have a missguided view on why British people move to the US, the majority do not emmigrate because of immigration at home. There have been previous statements about business people being transferred here within their companies branches, another reason is simply to live the 'American dream' where people believe life will be more enjoyable and culturally diverse and accepting. The opportunities available in the US are limitless and as it is such a large country with each state a world away from the next it provides excitement and change from the average doom and gloom people see in their lives in the UK, many people do not permanently live in the US and may only reside here for months or a few years and most definitely would not give up their own British residency including (free health care, dental, paid housing in some cases and the right to legally remain a British citizen) for a US green card. Last thought many people travel to the US to gain a diploma/ degree in their chosen subject and remain here, as is with people in the UK from the US, Australia, New Zealand, Poland etc. it is like this everywhere now because people are given the opportunity - why wouldn't you take it?
Much of this is true for my British husband. He came here, though, because he married an American visiting Britain on vacation. They had two kids here, divorced, and now I grabbed him. Most people who I have met have come here for financial reasons, some before Thatcher turned the country around.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:57 PM

30 posts, read 78,110 times
Default immigration?

So the British that are moving to a city and country I might add that is made of immigrants to get away from immigrants but are also immigrants; I enjoy the irony in this.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:01 AM

224 posts, read 1,085,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
What's with all the Londoners suddenly moving into NYC? I know their money is 2 to 1 but once they get here, they are making a US salary. I'm not hating. I actually dated a british guy for 3 yrs but that was in the mid 90s. He was a rare species and that was only 10 yrs ago. Any insight?
Is a Hispanic REALLY talking about any type of "invasion"... I mean come on dude, I am Irish and saying this...

Old 07-09-2011, 03:28 PM

87 posts, read 204,895 times
As a liquor distributor I can tell you that I LOVE doing business with Irish immigrants. They have a healthy respect for money and for their business to business relationships. If I had my way I would shutter every trendy, chef-owned, perpetually-behind-on-their-bills bistro in Manhattan and replace them all with honest-to-goodness Irish immigrant pubs.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:46 PM

10 posts, read 21,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post
Is a Hispanic REALLY talking about any type of "invasion"... I mean come on dude, I am Irish and saying this...
Lol, she didn't mean it in a bad way. I have always seen immigration as good. Out with the old in with the new I suppose. NYC's Latin American immigration is different from the rest. Very diverse compared to a country that usually sees 9 out of 10 Latino immigrants from Mexico. Also very socioeconomically diverse.

As for British immigration, I believe it has to do with the exchange rate, similarities to London, and opportunities in the NYC area.

Nice fact about the Germanic ancestry of the vast majority of non-Hispanic Whites. Very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City