Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:07 AM

337 posts, read 969,241 times

Advertisements

More importantly, what's up with the midwestern invasion? I went bar hopping in the city and everyones from michigan,illinois,ohio,nebraska etc.. Where are the ny'ers? Or do they just avoid the tranplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,118 times
No most Brits if not all that move to America or Australia move because of the climate and also what the see America as being like with all the cool things that go on over there. Always good bands touring America and most of the worlds movies are made in america. I'm fro
Scotland and would love to move to NYC. I have friends there and also LA and Toronto Canada.
Let's face it Briton is ****e and boring....even London.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Absolutely not. Just don't try to force your co-workers to eat marmite or serve them beans on toast and you'll be all right. There is a lot of misinformation on both sides of the pond.. case in point, read a few posts up from your countryman who said America was ugly and had no culture. LOL.

I'm from scotland and LOVE NYC ! And to say there is no culture is a joke! It has every type of culture in the world. So much to do and see in this city. I also have a friend who lives here. Really is the greatest city in the world !

I love America and would love to travel across different states. Have friends in LA, Texas, Florida and Colorado too.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:13 PM

11 posts, read 21,633 times
As a Brit abou to move to NY, I think it is more about change than anything else. I have been fortunate enough to live in HK/Singapore over the last few years as well, but most people finish university, do 4 or 5 years in London and then fancy a change (friends are getting married, sick of the horrendous transport, sick of the horrendous weather!). NYC is an obvious choice because its not too far away and appears to be built for the singleton in his late 20s/early 30s.

I'm obviously not a New Yorker, or even moved to NY yet, but I imagine the Brits you are getting over there are generally in the finance sector and making pretty good cash.

Interesting thread...

Old 09-15-2011, 07:00 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
There's always been a large population of Brits in NYC, Florida and CA. If you look at immigration stats you'll see Brtain is excluded from the annual greencard diversity lottery becuase along with certain other countries , eg China, it has provided too many immigrants in the last 5 years. Its been that way for a long time. In NYC, Brits don't tend to congregate in single hoods, have parades etc, which is perhaps why you didn't notice them before.
As for London being boring - thats an odd thing to say. Each to his own.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:20 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,670,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight outta camden View Post
If you think there are a lot of Brits in New York, come visit Santa Monica some time.

British and Irish people move to America because they don't have to learn another language (we are lousy linguists), because there are lots of jobs, and because they fancy a change. They move to insanely expensive places like NYC because they are used to paying extortionate rents, particularly if they are from London.

Also--and I am not making this up--British and Irish people are leaving their countries because they think they have become overrun with immigrants. There was a guy on the LA thread last week who wanted to come to LA because he thought there were too many illegal immigrants in the UK. Needless to say, much mirth was had by all...
Too many illegals???

We have way too many here. We don't need more.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:50 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,103 times
For some reason Brits seem to like Atlanta as well. Everybody around here claims Elton John as our flagship British resident. I'm sure he has several homes and I have no idea how much time he actually spends in Atlanta. I've heard from an acquaintance who has met him that he said Atlanta is similar to London. I've never been to London and I haven't the foggiest idea how Atlanta can be ANYTHING like London but that's what the man said.

Apparently Eric Clapton likes Atlanta too but I'm not sure he has a place here. I have known several people who have met him. He's even come into my old workplace several times but I've never managed to be working.

And there are tons of non-celebrity Brits here. They seem to like it for some reason.

I worked with a Londoner while in NYC and he was pretty happy with it. He was really young and really into the party scene.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,913 times
you can't use a sweeping statement like 'europeans don't like americans' not everyone is the same, i thin k you'll find we brits are very liberal and most people leave in search of something more exotic maybe due to our very poor summers, the cost of living, especially in london and the south is very expensive or they just fancy a change. plus the way our country is run can at times feel very unrewarding for hardworking people. i live in the east where we have had immigrants coming from eastern europe for years, they have an amazing work ethic, integrate well and get along with the 'natives' very well. it's a small minority that have outdated right wing views on most things (homosexuality etc.) that share this opinion. quite a lot of the time the people who go on negativiley of the immigrants tend to be people who do not work and are looking for someon to blame or they do not want to work and happily live off the state.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
I think that's kinda funny, the whole immigration argument. So they're leaving to escape it and we here in America are up in arms about what to do with the immigration issue. I thought Europeans didn't like Americans? Hhmm...
you can't use a sweeping statement like 'europeans don't like americans' not everyone is the same, i thin k you'll find we brits are very liberal and most people leave in search of something more exotic maybe due to our very poor summers, the cost of living, especially in london and the south is very expensive or they just fancy a change. plus the way our country is run can at times feel very unrewarding for hardworking people. i live in the east where we have had immigrants coming from eastern europe for years, they have an amazing work ethic, integrate well and get along with the 'natives' very well. it's a small minority that have outdated right wing views on most things (homosexuality etc.) that share this opinion. quite a lot of the time the people who go on negativiley of the immigrants tend to be people who do not work and are looking for someon to blame or they do not want to work and happily live off the state.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,333 times
the whole of the white western world is doomed for the white race .no matter where they try to hide.everywhere is covered
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City