Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 03:16 PM

294 posts, read 839,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, this is one step further in the improvement of the Bronx!!!
Yes it is! Slowly but surely its happening. Get with the program or move out! The Bronx is getting better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 03:17 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
A food co-op is a local store that focuses on making affordable specific types of foods, usually natural foods. Two types exist: open and private. In an open co-op anyone may shop there, but members get discounted prices. A private co-op requires membership fees and sometimes annual dues, and/or a stipulated number of volunteer hours to tend the shop.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:53 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
A food co-op is a local store that focuses on making affordable specific types of foods, usually natural foods. Two types exist: open and private. In an open co-op anyone may shop there, but members get discounted prices. A private co-op requires membership fees and sometimes annual dues, and/or a stipulated number of volunteer hours to tend the shop.
Thanks.. Doesn't sound like something I would be interested in though.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:05 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
Thanks.. Doesn't sound like something I would be interested in though.
They were very popular with the post hippie generation, especially the granola/community garden set. And, some are quite extensive, not exclusively dealing with food, but farm equipment, outdoor equipment (REI), etc.

The urban co-op is a twist on the stalwart that was founded out of necessity in outlying communities.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:48 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
Fabulous. This may be worth me traveling to from Wash Heights.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:23 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Thanks for the kind words 7th. UpsonDowns..there isn't too much at the co-op just yet as they are really just getting started..but by Spring they are going to have a good variety of fresh organic meats, fish, fruit, etc....I look forward to it.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:18 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Thanks for the info Sobroguy.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:10 PM

And just a heads up...the prices are not cheap! If you are looking for cheap shopping the co-op is not for you, however they do provided lower prices to members (and membership is on a sliding scale)....so you can get discounts. Either way the fresh produce and products cannot be found anywhere else in the area..so its a great amenity to have. I did not take pictures however I will the next time I go.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:16 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
And just a heads up...the prices are not cheap! If you are looking for cheap shopping the co-op is not for you, however they do provided lower prices to members (and membership is on a sliding scale)....so you can get discounts. Either way the fresh produce and products cannot be found anywhere else in the area..so its a great amenity to have. I did not take pictures however I will the next time I go.
Can you give an estimate comparison to Park Slope Coop, or Fairway which is not a coop but has similiar prices on some things to Park slope Coop. However overall Park Slope Coop is much cheaper.

I mean just is it around the same, less, more overall that is all. I have a friend that makes the trip from the Bronx to the one in Park Slope.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:24 PM

I have never been to the one in Park Slope so can't provide a comparison...maybe somebody can compare the two? The one in the Bronx is still limited so it might be hard to do right now...wait until April or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: