Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:42 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times

Advertisements

This is great news and long overdue. The South Bronx (Mott Haven/Melrose area) has its first 1,400 sf Organic/Vegan Food Co-Op, providing a variety of products from produce to cleaning products, and sugar, rice, coffee, and dried fruit to name a few. "Mary Heglar, 25, a member since the summer, said she specially requested organic corn meal, seaweed for making sushi and fair-trade coffee, and all are now available." Ask and you shall receive...I will be joining this food co-op ASAP! It can be found at 3103 Third Ave in the Bronx. A co-op for the people: South Bronx stalwart opens its first store in The Hub
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 02:01 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,694 times
Oh lord, vegan in the South Bronx. Ive seen it all. Half of Williamsburg is packing their bags already. Guy you must be excited. Maybe you can get some new tenants.

I will say this is better than a big box supermarket moving in. But its not as if there weren't any viable alternatives. There are plenty of Key Foods and local specialty shops in the Bronx.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:09 PM

DITC...I am excited because it is meeting a need that is not filled in the area, and it provides residents with the opportunity to have cheap, easy access in THEIR COMMUNITY to healthy fruits, grains, and whole foods WHICH DO NOT CURRENTLY EXIST HERE. Must everything positive that is happening in the community be about gentrfication and raising rents? Guess what? The Food co-op was started by a local Hispanic woman who saw a need for the COMMUNITY, not for residents of Williamsburg, and took action. Sure there are viable alternatives in the Borough, but thats like saying, why does Harlem need a supermarket, there are viable alternatives in Manhattan. It's a shame DITC you are not happy or can see the value. Maybe if you lived in the community you would.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:44 PM

I just visited the food co-op and to say their inventory is limited would be an understatement. They are just starting so they are getting more every day, but its very limited right now. Nonetheless the products they did have were quite good, like Natural Peanut Butter, soy milk, organic eggs, healthy snacks, etc. It is a small store, the staff were very friendly, and it is well located in Melrose (158th and 3rd Avenue). Although at this point you can't do all of your shopping there just yet, you should be able to shortly. It is a good amenity for the neighborhood.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:52 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
I hope people from all walks give something like this a try and don't dismiss it just as something for the "new folks." I read about another one in the city and it seems very reasonable, and could actually save you money. On top of that its quality fresh items.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:58 PM

Exactly..it is an option that otherwise does not exist in the community. And it is about time. I don't see this as something "for the new folks" as some have said. It was not started by newbies in the community, it was started by a longtime resident who saw the need and took action..it is for EVERYONE in the community..AND they take food stamps!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:17 PM

34,099 posts, read 47,309,800 times
get the hell outta here...a vegan market in the bronx? i am speechless...to think that the bronx used to resemble sodom & gomorrah in the '80s and now u can buy organic food...GWAC im happy with the progress your community has made, and i hope it grows. and u know i used to bash the bronx before i became mod.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-03-2009, 09:55 AM

54 posts, read 206,351 times
Default Norwood Food Coop

For those of us who live further north in the BoogieDown, there is the Norwood Food Co-op. The winter share has already started, but the you can sign up for the summer share. It's really cool....my wife and I are members...Here's the website: http://www.norwoodfoodcoop.org/

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 02-03-2009 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: no competing websites

Old 02-03-2009, 02:34 PM

730 posts, read 2,054,423 times
Ladies and gentlemen, this is one step further in the improvement of the Bronx!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 03:04 PM

893 posts, read 2,864,647 times
What's a food co-op? Excuse my ignorance lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: