Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:05 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Like that Cheetos commercial with the annoying snobby woman.
Ya know she was definitely supposed to be a NY woman because she's brunette (equals "ethnic" in Hollywood). If she were a blonde then I'd say they were ragging on Cali females.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 12:00 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
It's about money and class, not geography. The vast majority of hip young things moving to the city are from Jersey, Westchester and Connecticut, not "the Midwest." New Yorkers have perpetual anxiety not about money, per se, we're accustomed to being around the very rich, but about real estate. If prices were lower and people had more control over their housing options, no one would care where someone else was born.

I have a friend who was born in Elizabeth, NJ. He went to Columbia (undergrad and law school) and now lives in Manhattan. Is he a "real" New Yorker or merely a poseur from the hinterland?

I have another friend who was born in Woodside, Queens. She is now a professional theater artist in Manhattan. If you passed her on the street you might think she is some rich kid from Wisconsin merely pretending to be an actor/hipster. Her parents are classic, lower-middle-class New Yorkers.

You can never really know someone's story just by looking at him/her. Using code words like "Midwesterner" is both misleading and pointless.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:31 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,171,296 times
I was just throwing a location out there. I don't know where hipsters come from. Hell I thought they were branching out from Manhattan and didn't wanna seem like yuppies so instead of getting a job at daddys firm, they just take a check every month and pretend to be bohemian artist in brooklyn.

Regardless you're missing the point.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:13 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,338,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It's about money and class, not geography. The vast majority of hip young things moving to the city are from Jersey, Westchester and Connecticut, not "the Midwest." New Yorkers have perpetual anxiety not about money, per se, we're accustomed to being around the very rich, but about real estate. If prices were lower and people had more control over their housing options, no one would care where someone else was born.

I have a friend who was born in Elizabeth, NJ. He went to Columbia (undergrad and law school) and now lives in Manhattan. Is he a "real" New Yorker or merely a poseur from the hinterland?

I have another friend who was born in Woodside, Queens. She is now a professional theater artist in Manhattan. If you passed her on the street you might think she is some rich kid from Wisconsin merely pretending to be an actor/hipster. Her parents are classic, lower-middle-class New Yorkers.

You can never really know someone's story just by looking at him/her. Using code words like "Midwesterner" is both misleading and pointless.
the kids from the burbs are usually the yuppies since they have the right connections to get those kinds of jobs

Old 02-27-2009, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 11,135 times
i see . the people in New Yorkers is very beautiful and sweet

in my county (kuwait) i see many people in New Yorkers and usa . i like it

Old 02-28-2009, 04:12 AM

415 posts, read 1,395,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Once upon a time, they were yuppies. Now they're hipsters. They'll probably acquire a new designation in a few years, but the type remains consistent.

At least the yuppies had jobs. These hipster kids from kansas live off their moma and daddy.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:58 PM

468 posts, read 2,359,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheGtrain View Post
At least the yuppies had jobs. These hipster kids from kansas live off their moma and daddy.
Yuppies are the people in Park Slope. Hipsters are the people in Williamsburg.

Yuppies didn't disappear. They're just different people. A different subculture and set of shared values. The two groups have some similarities but a lot of differences too.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:28 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwaitgirl View Post
i see . the people in New Yorkers is very beautiful and sweet

in my county (kuwait) i see many people in New Yorkers and usa . i like it
Once upon a time, I worked in an office where the boss used to bring in German "interns" every summer. These kids were unfailingly jealous of us--because we weren't just visiting; we could call New York City home. It turns out that people all around the world think of NYC in truly glowing terms. It's only here in the United States where other people are always looking to say terrible things about New York.

So...thank you, kuwaitgirl.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:21 PM

6 posts, read 15,298 times
I've lived here all my life, and I'll admit I'm usually in a hostile mood because i'd love to enjoy the city more. But I cant becuz the dang hipsters who live off daddys dime are driving up the rent prices, overcrowding the city, and taking good jobs. Maybe we'd be more appreciative if transplants didn't ruin it all. (yes RUIN, all this new construction ruining cool authentic places becuz people will not stop living out their Sex and the City dream)

The transplants/hipsters sometime seem like they're trying to prove that they've got a NY Attitude. I've seen a lot more of them yelling, pushing, cursing and complaining than true NYkers.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:34 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Once upon a time, they were yuppies. Now they're hipsters. They'll probably acquire a new designation in a few years, but the type remains consistent.
And before that they were "preppies".. (which included "real" New Yorkers too).

I just really like New Yorkers, the accents, styles and attitude. But that doesn't mean I dont like out of towners either. I have a bunch of friends from other places and have for decades, so I also dont find myself feeling "snobby" or negative about people from other parts of the country. The Eurotrash can get annoying. Sorry.

I try not to get upset when the tourists block the sidewalk, it is an annoying habit but they seem to be so light-hearted and well-meaning, its a shame to be mean and grumpy about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City