Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
There seems to be some real disdain for these hipsters. Mommy might have to send an additional care package of anti-depressants if they read this one.
Maybe if they were more respectful of the locals a blog like that wouldn't exist. This is New York City. We locals, for the most part, have years of experience seeing people for what they truly are.

Hipsters might be able to pull the wool over their parents' eyes and the eyes of the folks back home in Grain Silo, Kansas or Snowboard Slopes, Colorado or whereever, but it's harder to do that with us. Or maybe they can't pull their nonsense in their hometowns too, which could be why they "flee" to try to pull it off here since we've got that reputation of being accepting and whatnot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 09:06 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times
Default cultural history of hipsters

It is interesting the dig into the cultural history of how these hipsters got to be who they are. Before it was safe we never encountered anyone like this in places like Brooklyn. Now there are thousands of them flooding in like Ford model Ts off the assembly line. Why are they all built to the same exact specs?

You have to go back 100 years into American history and see the class of wealthy American WASP’s rejected God. They were too smart, too wealthy and too successful to believe in God. Call it Darwinism or what not but the descendants of Puritanism completely rejected Christianity. You will not find one hipster in all of Brooklyn attending mass on weekly basis. With the powerful WASP class disconnecting itself from classical Christian learning "self" took the place of God. This narcissism is key to the development of the hipster.

This is why the soon to be irrelevant twentieth century is such a departure from classical learning. Focus on one self is death--lost are the moral and spiritual transactions that nourish our spiritual life when we focus on others and God. These hipsters are all about the 20th century and recycling everything in it. These Hipsters are the grandchildren and children of those who rejected God and classical universal knowledge.

Notice the extreme narcissism– this is a result of that rejection of God. There is no faith so it all ends with them and they endlessly fixate on themselves. With this fixation on self gone is creativity. Notice the same phenomena with AA rappers- total fixation on self and no creativity everything has to be copied and “bitten”.

These people completely lack any moral or spiritual vigor– this is why they talk like they have a close-pin over their nose and stick up their backside. Lose faith and lose religion and two or three generations a hipster is what your kids will look like. Indolent, depressed and lacking in any physical vigor. They are sick mentally, physically and spiritually. Because their locus is on themselves they become like a black hole of creativity. Everything is stolen and recycled from the past. Everything looks backwards because they don’t have the faith or creativity to look forward and create something new.

These people fit right into marketing schemes. All of the modern products are geared to people like this. That’s why it is “I” pods and “I” Pads. It is to feed the narcissism built into their bottomless need for self glorification. Granddad dropped God and these guys can’t away from me me me. It is the fixation on self that is the cause of the affliction of their spiritual, metal and physical health. Take away mommy and daddy's money and these people will be gone. The crutch keeping them around is daddy's success take that away and they lack the moral and spiritual energy to endure. They certainly don't reproduce much so they have reached the end of their tether on earth.

Last edited by samyn on the green; 01-06-2011 at 09:58 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 09:36 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
It is interesting the dig into the cultural history of how these hipsters got to be who they are. Before it was safe we never encountered anyone like this in places like Brooklyn. Now there are thousands of them flooding in like Ford model Ts off the assembly line. Why are they all built to the same exact specs?

You have to go back 100 years into American history and see the class of wealthy American WASP’s rejected God. They were too smart, too wealthy and too successful to believe in God. Call it Darwinism or what not but the descendants of Puritanism completely rejected Christianity. You will not find one hipster in all of Brooklyn attending mass on weekly basis. With the powerful WASP class disconnecting itself from classical Christian learning "self" took the place of God. This narcissism is key to the development of the hipster.

This is why the soon to be irrelevant twentieth century is such a departure from classical learning. Focus one self is death--lost are the moral and spiritual transactions that nourish our spiritual life when we focus on others and God. These hipsters are all about the 20th century and recycling everything in it. These Hipsters are the grandchildren and children of those who rejected God and classical universal knowledge.

Notice the extreme narcissism– this is a result of that rejection of God. There is no faith so it all ends with them and they endlessly fixate on themselves. With this fixation on self gone is creativity. Notice the same phenomena with AA rappers- total fixation on self and no creativity everything has to be copied and “bitten”.

These people completely lack any moral or spiritual vigor– this is why they talk like they have a close-pin over their nose and stick up their backside. Lose faith and lose religion and two or three generations a hipster is what your kids will look like. Indolent, depressed and lacking in any physical vigor. They are sick mentally, physically and spiritually. Because their locus is on themselves they become like a black hole of creativity. Everything is stolen and recycled from the past. Everything looks backwards because they don’t have the faith or creativity to look forward and create something new.

These people fit right into marketing schemes. All of the modern products are geared to people like this. That’s why it is “I” pods and “I” Pads. It is to feed the narcissism built into their self glorification. Granddad dropped God and these guys can’t away from me me me. It is the fixation on self that has inflicted their spiritual, metal and physical.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
As I suspected this is a Kulturkampf about issues far bigger than a few fim students.

I would suggest, as an aside, that militant secularism and atheism were "big" in NYC long before they were in the rest of the USA.

And that lots of people who believe in G-d enjoy products from Apple. Though I suspect my hasidic relations are more Windows/blackberry types.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:08 AM

"They certainly don't reproduce much so they have reached the end of their tether on earth."

ergo the folks with the high end strollers in Park Slope are NOT hipsters? But I think many of them DO like Apple products? Hmm.

Maybe some cultural simplification going on here?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Maybe if they were more respectful of the locals a blog like that wouldn't exist. This is New York City. We locals, for the most part, have years of experience seeing people for what they truly are. .
My personal experience is that native new yorkers are quite as easily deceived as anyone else. After all, we were the folks who thought Abe Beame was a financial genius.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It's about money and class, not geography. The vast majority of hip young things moving to the city are from Jersey, Westchester and Connecticut, not "the Midwest." New Yorkers have perpetual anxiety not about money, per se, we're accustomed to being around the very rich, but about real estate. If prices were lower and people had more control over their housing options, no one would care where someone else was born.

I have a friend who was born in Elizabeth, NJ. He went to Columbia (undergrad and law school) and now lives in Manhattan. Is he a "real" New Yorker or merely a poseur from the hinterland?

I have another friend who was born in Woodside, Queens. She is now a professional theater artist in Manhattan. If you passed her on the street you might think she is some rich kid from Wisconsin merely pretending to be an actor/hipster. Her parents are classic, lower-middle-class New Yorkers.

You can never really know someone's story just by looking at him/her. Using code words like "Midwesterner" is both misleading and pointless.

Clap (i am not hip enough to embed some video)

Old 01-07-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krenae View Post
I've lived here all my life, and I'll admit I'm usually in a hostile mood because i'd love to enjoy the city more. But I cant becuz the dang hipsters who live off daddys dime are driving up the rent prices, overcrowding the city, and taking good jobs. Maybe we'd be more appreciative if transplants didn't ruin it all. (yes RUIN, all this new construction ruining cool authentic places becuz people will not stop living out their Sex and the City dream)

The transplants/hipsters sometime seem like they're trying to prove that they've got a NY Attitude. I've seen a lot more of them yelling, pushing, cursing and complaining than true NYkers.

Methinks I see a contradiction.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
My personal experience is that native new yorkers are quite as easily deceived as anyone else. After all, we were the folks who thought Abe Beame was a financial genius.
We weren't deceived by the fauxhemians. We kindasorta needed them when the dot com era was newish (1995-96) because nobody (including them) knew exactly where the internet was headed and many of them are great with computers as a counterbalance for poor people skills. But I think it was Ben Franklin who said fish and guests stink after 3 days or something like that. Time for the arrogant ones to go. Their contempt for NYC causes way too much strife.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:14 AM

Rofl at post #73
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City