Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 PM

40 posts, read 61,684 times

Advertisements

I think what you are talking about is more of a city versus suburbs/rural thing then a NYer thing. If you go to any big city in the US (DC, Philly, Chicago, LA) you will have those from the city being mad at people coming in the city and saying hey you are not really from here I am. Its basically people trying to put others down in order to feel better about themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 09:27 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEgroover View Post
I think what you are talking about is more of a city versus suburbs/rural thing then a NYer thing. If you go to any big city in the US (DC, Philly, Chicago, LA) you will have those from the city being mad at people coming in the city and saying hey you are not really from here I am. Its basically people trying to put others down in order to feel better about themselves.
Basically you're wrong. Or not 100 percent right for sure. It's about having respect for the region you move to and the people who live there. And it applies to all regions. Read the below as well as post #63.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
One [hipster] even said to me New Yorkers need to "get over" 9/11. He said that around 2004 I think. He moved to NY in 1998. I had little respect for him as it was, but that comment kinda sealed the deal.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
I am from Atlanta and just about EVERYONE that lives there is from the NE or some other part of the country. They come to take advantage of our low cost of living, weather and job opportunities then insult the locals like they can't do anything right. How do you think that makes the locals feel?
I know a Brooklynite who thinks of most folks south of Middlesex County (NJ) as mentally slow and KFC-eaters, etc -Basically complaining as you said. Deals with them for business and says they're not sharp blah blah. He goes on and on. Lucky for those communities, he doesn't live there or he'd get into fights on a regular basis What you said is true

Old 01-02-2011, 09:39 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,760 times
Both are annoying, but I dislike the steriotypical new yorker more.
I live in the south, and you want to talk about invading?
In some cities down here its hard not to find someone from NY or NJ.
They always go out of there way to tell you how much better the northeast is than where they live no and try hard to make you feel less of a human being than them because your not from the northeast.

They complain about the weather, the driving, the accents, the people, the food, everything... They seem to never stop. Ive met men from NY and its hard to believe they are on the pill and having the time of the month cause its rare to meet even meet a female from here that complains or b****es and moans as much as them.

I actually had a NYer verbally attack me last year because I asked him what he thought of the cheese steaks hes tasted down here. He started screaming at me about how I don't know good food because I'm from the south and how all cooks in the northeast are superior

They call us all backwards hicks and claim to be so much tuffer and stronger than us, even though most of them are from really safe wampypambyland parts of NYC. Doesn't seem to occur to them that some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the US are in the south, so some of us being streetwise or ruff shouldn't be surprising.

Ironically it seems the NY suburbanites and the folks from nice neighborhoods in NYC are the most obnoxious and claim to be the hardest. Most folks I meet from Brownsville, or the Bronx don't seem to go out of there way to disrespect us and call us soft as often, in fact it's not uncommon to hear them talking about they love the south or giving southern boys props on keeping it real, it seems only the soft NY'ers wanna act tuff when they get down here, unfortunately for them there facade and dreams of being a tuff guy are quickly destroyed when they go to the hood with that attitude, which has made them a virus thats out of control in the safe burbs.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Basically you're wrong. Or not 100 percent right for sure. It's about having respect for the region you move to and the people who live there. And it applies to all regions. Read the below as well as post #63.
No my point is what the OP is complaining about occurs in all big cities and is not exclusive to NYC

Old 01-02-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEgroover View Post
No my point is what the OP is complaining about occurs in all big cities and is not exclusive to NYC
Thx for the clarification but I think you missed what *I'm* saying in that I don't need to put someone down to feel better about myself. But I do I feel an obligation to call out an outsider who says NY'ers should get over 9/11 when he has no clue of the emotional connections I or any other NY'er had to the WTC. If I'm an outsider anywhere I'd simply KNOW to be careful of what comes out of my mouth. It all boils down to respect and alot of fauxhemians don't seem to have that gene.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Both are annoying, but I dislike the steriotypical new yorker more.
I live in the south, and you want to talk about invading?
In some cities down here its hard not to find someone from NY or NJ.
They always go out of there way to tell you how much better the northeast is than where they live no and try hard to make you feel less of a human being than them because your not from the northeast.

They complain about the weather, the driving, the accents, the people, the food, everything... They seem to never stop. Ive met men from NY and its hard to believe they are on the pill and having the time of the month cause its rare to meet even meet a female from here that complains or b****es and moans as much as them.

I actually had a NYer verbally attack me last year because I asked him what he thought of the cheese steaks hes tasted down here. He started screaming at me about how I don't know good food because I'm from the south and how all cooks in the northeast are superior

They call us all backwards hicks and claim to be so much tuffer and stronger than us, even though most of them are from really safe wampypambyland parts of NYC. Doesn't seem to occur to them that some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the US are in the south, so some of us being streetwise or ruff shouldn't be surprising.

Ironically it seems the NY suburbanites and the folks from nice neighborhoods in NYC are the most obnoxious and claim to be the hardest. Most folks I meet from Brownsville, or the Bronx don't seem to go out of there way to disrespect us and call us soft as often, in fact it's not uncommon to hear them talking about they love the south or giving southern boys props on keeping it real, it seems only the soft NY'ers wanna act tuff when they get down here, unfortunately for them there facade and dreams of being a tuff guy are quickly destroyed when they go to the hood with that attitude, which has made them a virus thats out of control in the safe burbs.
Good post. Like that song, but slightly different, what the world needs now, is respect, sweet respect..........

Old 01-02-2011, 11:14 PM

But I am not calling you out on that I don't know why you think I am, my only point is to the OP and nobody else and that is that her notion that there is this whole I am better than you NY attitude and a clash between transplants and locals happens in all major cities and is not unique to NYC.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:53 AM

110 posts, read 219,592 times
yeah I don't think it is always about somebody putting somebody else down because they are from the suburbs. I think it has to do with a feeling of alienation (at least in the case of new york). I don't feel better than somebody who is from ohio for example or texas, but I certainly feel different, I don't have the same background or habits or way of viewing at the world.

Now the thing is, I quite like many of these people and find them interesting, particularly people who are open and proud of where they come from, what I dont find interesting is these "Hipsters" who come here and try to play out the television new york fantasy they have. In either case when I walk around manhattan, I feel alienated because I am a needle in a haystack compared to the non-new yorkers. And since I remember a time when that was not the case, I do admit I get a bit down.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:53 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Default Die Hipster

There seems to be some real disdain for these hipsters. Mommy might have to send an additional care package of anti-depressants if they read this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City