Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,936 times

Advertisements

I've been wondering. Sometimes I get the feeling that people who call themselves "true" New Yorkers don't want you to enjoy the city. That, if you get excited about things they take for granted, that they look at your like a an annoying tourist in the bahamas with socks and sandals, whose just spending an extended vacation.

That people who come in are just posers and fakes and that true new yorkers are so cool and tough and streetwise and, well New Yorkers.

I dunno how to really put it. But anyone else get that vibe sometimes? That people who make an effort to announce that they are home grown and have a negative view on people who want to come in and experience that city that has inspired every form of media you can imagine?

I dunno. But I do. And it's annoying. I can't stand hipsters, but man, I'd rather hang out with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:57 PM

40 posts, read 195,857 times
i feel ya

Old 02-23-2009, 11:11 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,828 times
well the real NYers just feel like they are being invaded

It is the same way the floridians feel about all the snowbirds

of how the Southern Californians feel about the illegals

Old 02-23-2009, 11:46 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I've been wondering. Sometimes I get the feeling that people who call themselves "true" New Yorkers don't want you to enjoy the city. That, if you get excited about things they take for granted, that they look at your like a an annoying tourist in the bahamas with socks and sandals, whose just spending an extended vacation.

That people who come in are just posers and fakes and that true new yorkers are so cool and tough and streetwise and, well New Yorkers.

I dunno how to really put it. But anyone else get that vibe sometimes? That people who make an effort to announce that they are home grown and have a negative view on people who want to come in and experience that city that has inspired every form of media you can imagine?

I dunno. But I do. And it's annoying. I can't stand hipsters, but man, I'd rather hang out with them.
I think it's worse on this forum than out in the real-world-NY. I never get this feeling from my neighbors, some of whom were born and raised here, that I am invading. (In fact I think they quite like me!)

But, still, if I had to rank which stereotypical person is more annoying, the hipster or the person with too much NY pride, I would say the hipster is more annoying because the proud type is more easily ignored and usually stays home more, and therefore is less frequently encountered.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:01 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
I'm a native New Yorker, and to tell you the truth, I've never thought of myself as "snobby," although I confess to possibly more than my share of hometown pride. The way I look at some of our newer fellow New Yorkers is that a lot of them think they have to act a certain way in order to fit in. And all they have to go by is what they've heard about the city, or what they've seen in the media. So while they may sometimes annoy me, I understand that their behavior will change when they've been here a while.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:32 AM

20 posts, read 57,926 times
I think a lot of the midwestern trustafarian hipster set come here with giant chips on their shoulders and something to prove. They have a lot of self-hate regarding where they come from so they feel the need to constantly bash their hometowns and middle America in general, in some misguided attempt to get street cred. Real New Yorkers are secure enough in ourselves that we don't feel the need to do that. Being a "real New Yorker" is more about attitude than anything else. We might have a lot of pride in our hometown that some find obnoxious but it's been my experience that it's more of a "our town is amazing" kind of thing rather than a "your town sucks, you dumb hick". IOW we lift ourselves up rather than tearing others down. The only time real New Yorkers ever get in your face with superiority is when someone tries to bash NY or say somewhere else is better, like Chi-town trolls. Then the gloves come off.

I don't mind tourists unless they act stupid, like walking in lines of 3-4 people or stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to gawk. In which case I try to tell them to step aside as politely as possible. Hell I think tourists are funny, I try to go out of my way to help them. The only time I have ever been consciously rude to a tourist was during the RNC when a couple of d-bags wearing cowboy hats in a giant SUV sporting obnoxious anti-gay bumperstickers asked me for directions to ESPN Zone. I sent them on a merry chase to the Bronx. Yeah, it was childish and petty but if you are wearing ignorance on your sleeve (or car) in a town known to have a lot of gays you better hope the chick you ask for directions isn't one.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:42 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,542,987 times
Quote:
midwestern trustafarian hipster
ha! nice.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:18 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Once upon a time, they were yuppies. Now they're hipsters. They'll probably acquire a new designation in a few years, but the type remains consistent.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:53 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Maybe this will make you feel better. NY'ers don't automatically consider someone a poser who comes from elsewhere. Some of those who move here from elsewhere are far from outsiders and actually can be compared to siblings snatched from the local NY hospital as infants, raised elsewhere, yet who beat the odds and made their way home to be with their "family" in NY.

I have met many a transplant (Missouri, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Cali, you name it) who has turned into as much (or more of?) of a "real NY'er" as someone born and bred here! They love NY with their heart and soul, consider it their real home, and do not ever want to move back to where they came from.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:56 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,528,127 times
I'll trot out my EB White truism again--there are three kinds of New Yorkers, the natives, the commuters, and the people who come from someplace else to conquer the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City