Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what name would YOU prefer?
Freedom Tower 18 52.94%
Tower 1 7 20.59%
The Ressurected Tower 1 2.94%
The Leaning Tower of NY Pizza 8 23.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:34 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
...There's nothing wrong with the name 'Freedom Tower.' The main problem is that the word freedom is sitting on the edge of becoming nothing more than a buzzword. During the First World War, it was 'liberty.' Every time you turned around, it was Liberty this and Liberty that. Keep using a word that way and it starts to become meaningless.
That's the problem.It's not just "sitting on the edge ". George Bush used it and abused it to the point that it has no meaning left at all .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 05:36 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Isn't that awful--that any one person, let alone the President of the United States, should remove the meaning from a word like 'freedom?'

Old 03-27-2009, 06:03 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Here is a posting I posted on a similar thread in the POC forum, it still pertains to this subject, so I thought I would share on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
I am from Texas so I doubt that many New Yorkers care what my opinion is, but I lived in CT for 4 years (2000-2004) so the World Trade Center, the way it was, is still dear to my heart. I have no problem with the tower being called "Freedom Tower". However, it's location is still apart of the World Trade Center complex, therefore a name like "Freedom Tower at World Trade Center", would make sense. It identifies the "new" tower, and at the same time pays homage to the location, "World Trade Center". Renaming it World Trade Center One IMO is silly, cause we all know, the "REAL" WTC 1, will never be replaced.
Just my 2 cents!!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:51 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
I guess the owners did not want to offend anyone by calling it the Freedom Tower. Perhaps we should name it the Sellout Tower.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:35 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,391 times
why exactly is it s sell out tower??

and geez guys whats wrong with the words freedom and liberty??? we still live in the greatest country in the world despite Moderator cut: politicians and our current economy

have we really become such a negative society that words like freedom and liberty Moderator cut: annoy??

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-28-2009 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Political comments on the Politics forum only, please

Old 03-28-2009, 06:42 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Well, as I said earlier, I personally don't have a problem with Freedom Tower. But if so many other do, how about a compromise? Call it the New York Tower, and incorporate five slightly different design schemes from the ground floor up--one for each borough in the city.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:55 AM

165 posts, read 605,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Because it's misleading, america is becoming totalitarian, not a free democracy.
totalitarian tower (despite the alliteration) doesn't have the same ring lol... come on its still a democratic country, you voted for the president didn't you? what more do you want? without whats in place now the US would look like El Salvador lol

Old 03-28-2009, 06:59 AM

165 posts, read 605,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
why exactly is it s sell out tower??

and geez guys whats wrong with the words freedom and liberty??? we still live in the greatest country in the world despite george bush and our current economy

have we really become such a negative society that words like freedom and liberty pi*s us off??
yes im with you on this! dirty, evil men knocked down two of the greatest buildings in the country, they owe it to the country and to those who died to call it the freedom tower. You will never see al queda or the taliban call a building that, because they don't belive in that... but the people of the US do! long live freedom

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-28-2009 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: Political comments on the Politics forum only, please.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:44 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ire2usa View Post
totalitarian tower (despite the alliteration) doesn't have the same ring lol... come on its still a democratic country, you voted for the president didn't you? what more do you want? without whats in place now the US would look like El Salvador lol
Well I think "Tower 1" is like naming it "Tower" or "building 1".. "resurrected tower" is the same to me as "finally built tower".. "Freedom Tower" I think is misleading given 38% Americans believe 9/11 was no accident.. so honestly I think the "The Pizza Tower" sounds most appealing to me, atleast it's distinctive and we all like Pizza. Put a worldclass pizza restaurant on the roof.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:02 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Well I think "Tower 1" is like naming it "Tower" or "building 1".. "resurrected tower" is the same to me as "finally built tower".. "Freedom Tower" I think is misleading given 38% Americans believe 9/11 was no accident.. so honestly I think the "The Pizza Tower" sounds most appealing to me, atleast it's distinctive and we all like Pizza. Put a worldclass pizza restaurant on the roof.

LOL, there was a Sbarro pizza place on the 107th floor of the south tower (AKA WTC 2)......I hardly call that worldclass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City