Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 04:47 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times

Advertisements

My friend moved to Brooklyn and put all her kids in the public schools there (elementary, middle and high school) and they did just fine. One is at SUNY Geneseo, and they've since moved to MA. She said the middle and high schools were a little dicey, but they couldn't afford private for 4 kids so let it be and supplemented at home where needed. Everyone survived.

I have a few friends who were educated entirely in the NYC public school system and they turned out just fine. Intelligent and well educated. Actually a few went to public universities in NYC, too. The key as the above poster said, was steady support at home for academics.

Look, you can get the best education from the most exclusive schools and, yes, for sure it can get you pretty far. It will open doors for you. But you can't teach mental agility. At some point your native intelligence will be far more valuable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 08:06 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
I’ve been following this issue for a long time since I have a child turning nursery-age soon. What gives NYC private schools a lot of pricing power and the chutzpah to absorb a lot of overhead costs is that generally speaking, the choices parents have are at polar opposites. Either you send your child to an expensive private school w/ good academics (and other baggage like individualized instruction and extra-curriculars) or to a public school system where academic quality is inconsistent. On the surface, there doesn’t seem to be that many “in between” options.

But that’s just on the surface. If parents looked hard enough, they will find options that are less painful on the wallet. For instance, some good Catholic schools charge only $5K to $7K per year, but you’ll have to contend with larger class sizes (20 to 25 per class) and fewer extra-curricular options. Or you can rent in good suburban school districts which offer a wide diversity of courses, but you’ll have to be on top of the subjects that your child will be taking or he/she might end up choosing the easiest and most fun subjects only.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:15 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
With Catholic schools you also have to deal with the proselytizing, which is a basic function of the Catholic church. No thanks.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:52 AM

/\/\

That's not true. You have to take religion subjects, but they won't force you to convert or attend Christian rites. One well-performing Manhattan school I looked into had 15% of students who were non-Catholic. If taking 3 units/year of religion classes is the only concern, then it beats paying an extra $20K/year.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:55 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
No, it IS true. That's why my niece was removed from the Marymount Manhattan School. The faculty just couldn't resist.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 AM

/\/\

I attended Catholic schools (Jesuit) for 16 years and had classmates from all faiths. None of them had issues w/ proselytizing. For my own child, I've looked into 7 schools in the Metro area all run by groups ranging from Jesuit, SSJ, Sacred Heart and the archdiocese. All had >10% non-catholic population. Marymount is the first time I heard this issue come up.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 07-14-2009 at 09:34 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 04:57 PM

39 posts, read 73,904 times
I went to a private Catholic school on Long Island for elementary school and then went to a NYC private school (Convent of the Sacred Heart) from 9th to 12th grade. So, my opinions are based on these experiences.The admission and interview process was a lot like what was already mentioned above. Since I applied in 9th grade I also remember writing an essay and having a teacher recommendation form from my previous school. My high school was also an all girls school. I feel that the faculty gave a lot of attention to students both academically, as well as towards athletics. The curriculum was also very rich and we did a lot of community service in the neighborhood. But I will admit that the days were a little longer than public schools and the faculty can be very strict and rigid in their conventions. I also did not get to keep most of my textbooks. Many of my peers were on scholarships, so there was a bit of economic diversity.
I just graduated with my masters in education and what I am struggling with right now is actually finding a teaching position. I would prefer a private school but it is probably wiser to look into both private and public, although both are not really hiring.

Last edited by Valentina86; 07-14-2009 at 05:16 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 06:23 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
Don't forget charter schools.

Good luck.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:08 PM

328 posts, read 886,277 times
I read an article in the New York Times stating many people are moving to areas with good public school districts in NYC. Living within your means is now envogue.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:27 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,465 times
Here's the NYTimes link.
It's a great article about "The sudden charm of public schools."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/re...s&st=cse&scp=6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City