Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:18 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Thank you, Alkonost.

I look forward to trying them all armed with my printout.

Live and Loin!
Welcome! I hope you enjoy the shopping trip. Let me know how it works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 06:33 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I've still never figured out the attraction of Trader Joe's. They are cheap, but routinely have had nothing interesting that I want to buy, at least at the two I've visited on 72nd St and 14th St. The selection always seems extremely limited, even for basics. One week they won't have, say, cabbage, another week, no corn. Far less meat selection than even someplace "downscale" loke C-Town or Associated. Skimpy selctions of bread and pastries. Its cheap, I'll grant you . And what they do carry is okay. But I think it's an awful place for selection, so much so that I imagine anyone who buys there all the time must be bored to death!
That was my experience with Trader Joe's also. I just coudn't fathom why people would queue up in a city-block-long line (14th St.) for that dreadful store with equally dreadful prices. I chalked it up to too few alternatives for people trapped in lower Manhattan?

TJ's wine store is a different story...quite nice and well priced.

Let me add a KEY FOOD comment...they have the cheapest beer I have found, at least in the East 92nd Street Store (and SECOND.)

There is a relatively new market that we stumbled upon that is really nice, quite big, and reasonably priced (for Manhattan.) It is an ASSOCIATED (but not like the crummie other ones) located around West 102nd on either Amsterdam or Columbus. Check it out. Snazzy store.

For bodega looking but fairly priced and a good size, the ASSOCIATED at 102nd and SECOND Ave is worth a shop if you are nearby.
ASSOCIATED at 96th and LEX sucks a big one.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:17 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Best Yet is not at all the same as Whole Foods. The difference in quality is staggering. This is the first time I have heard that opinion. Even one of the employee's admitted to my friend that he hoped Whole Foods would not open nearby because they could not compete.

Exercise caution when buying fish and meat at Best Yet. We have had several instances of things being spoiled when we got them home. Their better quality chicken is $1. more per pound than Whole Foods. The sales are good at Best Yet but like everywhere, they are raising prices...

First time I've ever heard THAT complaint. I've never had a problem with the fish or meat at this store. Neither have many of the people I know who live nearby and shop there regularly. Always been fresh and good when I go there. The produce has always been that wasy too. Best Yet also has a better selection of stuff to me than Whole Foods. Sometimes I do want some basics and they're evither not available or prentiously terrible at WF. I remember buying a bottle of basic curry powder at WF and it was horrible. It made the blandest curry I ever tasted and even my kids told me to throw the stuff away. Healthy? Maybe. Tasty? Not on your life. Even the prepared foods at WF are bland and tasteless to me.

As for Best Yet competing with a Whole Foods we'd just have to wait and see whenever WF decides to open a store further uptown than their one on Columbus and 98th.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I remember buying a bottle of basic curry powder at WF and it was horrible.
NEVER buy curry powder. Its sale should be outlawed.

If you want to toss together a good tasting curry in whatever degree of flamethrower spiciness you want pick up a jar of PATAK'S curry paste. (Outrageously priced in Manhattan, cheap in the Indiantowns like Jackson Heights.) Readily available.
A Tbsp of their VINDALOO will set your hair on fire but they have dozens less flammable...and the taste is REAL.

For quick and easy (and a bit milder) the S&B GOLDEN CURRY blocks are terrific. (I buy mine at the Korean Market on 32nd St. North side between Sixth and Fifth.

But that yellow powdered crap is anathema.

A large Indian grocery store in Jackson Heights (74th St.?? a half block north of the subway) really blew me away with ALL things Asian at prices that were INCREDIBLE bargains. It is too bad that it's too far from the UES for regular shopping.
(I'm not Asian but I LOVE Indian cooking.)

Old 10-25-2011, 12:40 PM

22 posts, read 53,366 times
Beans & Rice. If you don't have enough freakin money stop being picky and acting like a Yupster.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I buy mine at the Korean Market on 32nd St. North side between Sixth and Fifth.
Ok now I am starting to wonder if we are twins separated at birth- but you are kinder and gentler than I, so that means I must have inherited dad's bad temper.

I love that korean market, used to stop by to shop on the way home when I worked on west 30th.

And you also knew about Jacks (mentioned on the other thread).

Old 10-26-2011, 07:25 AM

91 posts, read 214,842 times
ALDI is great for certain things, but we go only once a month for things like cereal, cheese, breakfast bars and coffee. (Coffee just OK but really cheap. I mix it with chikory.) Frozen chicken and fish are good bets. Have never bought produce there.... it doesn't look good. Also, don't be afraid to try their brand. If you don't like it, get double money back. Only had to do it once on a product where safety seal was broken. Otherwise their lable items match other store brands in quality. Like Costco, sometimes you fall in love with something only to go back and find it was a one-time deal.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:40 AM

91 posts, read 214,842 times
WFM can have some good deals. Go to their site and print out the "Whole Deal" coupons and watch prices. Often the items will go on sale for a week or so during the life of the coupon. Rercent example: Got a half-gallon of Earth's best soy milk (any flavor) for $1. (reg. $3.29 on sale 2/$4 - $1 coupon) Debole's Pasta same thing.

Also, WFM was to open in Gowanus, Brooklyn. Haven't heard anything. What's up with that?

Old 10-27-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Ok now I am starting to wonder if we are twins separated at birth- but you are kinder and gentler than I, so that means I must have inherited dad's bad temper.

I love that korean market, used to stop by to shop on the way home when I worked on west 30th.

And you also knew about Jacks (mentioned on the other thread).
If you know that neighborhood, as a twin would, and if you can build a big appetite di try ICI UMI just to the East of Fiifth (on 32nd) for their unbelievable buffet for $18.95. It is frakking INCREDIBLE.

I had two parents who wanted the other DEAD and screamed loudly at one another every night ALL NIGHT...other than that I have a calm demeanor. They are both dead now.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
If you know that neighborhood, as a twin would, and if you can build a big appetite di try ICI UMI just to the East of Fiifth (on 32nd) for their unbelievable buffet for $18.95. It is frakking INCREDIBLE.

I had two parents who wanted the other DEAD and screamed loudly at one another every night ALL NIGHT...other than that I have a calm demeanor. They are both dead now.
I will go to Ici Umi next week!!! Thanks for the tip, I wish I knew about that one earlier. I used to go to Woorijip for lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City