Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 05:05 AM

7 posts, read 43,169 times

Advertisements

I am considering rental for four months located on 184 Thompson.

When I Googled this , I found some negative reviews mixed in with positive ones. This particular unit is on the top floor, and is a 2BR. The negative reviews mentioned it being a shoddy building before being rehabbed, and that it has problems with roaches, mice, etc. It is also mentioned to be very noisy due to proximity to NYU. Can anyone familiar with this area share thoughts on it? For the price am I better looking elsewhere? It appears to be a beautiful apartment from the photos with some nice views, but the negative pub has me worried.

Last edited by Viralmd; 05-15-2009 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: No advertising, even indirectly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 06:40 AM

Ok I apparently can't post a link to the listing that I am considering, so let me give some additional details on it. The price I would have to pay is $4800 per month for the apartment for a four month term. Am I better looking elsewhere for a better value? It seems to have great views and it looks really nice, I'm just troubled by the negative reviews of the building when I Googled the address.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:50 AM

936 posts, read 2,397,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbarroninsc View Post
Ok I apparently can't post a link to the listing that I am considering, so let me give some additional details on it. The price I would have to pay is $4800 per month for the apartment for a four month term. Am I better looking elsewhere for a better value? It seems to have great views and it looks really nice, I'm just troubled by the negative reviews of the building when I Googled the address.

So if you are troubled than this should be a no brainer. Why take the risk at that ridiculous price.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:51 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
You have to take what you see on the internet re: complaints with a grain (no, a truckload) of salt.

If you were happy with the building, would you be out there saying nice things, since it was a decent building in which to live? Probably not.

If you weren't happy with the building, however minor the gripe, and didn't get resolution from management, you'd be raising cain about the building on ever available medium. Those who are unhappy with any situtation find a bully pulpit on the internet and have an agenda. Those who are happy don't. It's that simple.

What I'm trying to say is that what's posted on the internet is more than likely baised toward the negative.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:56 AM

936 posts, read 2,397,441 times
I just googled it and I didnt see anything negative but its pricey. The pics I seen were really of a beautiful building and the apt. looks good to me.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:57 AM

Thank you Roxy and Viral for your replies.

Roxy, is $4800 an outrageous price for a 2BR in Greenwich?

Viral, good point there What is your personal opinion on this area? Are my dollars better spent elsewhere? I can PM you the listing if you could take a look.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:57 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,232 times
great area, first of all, which is really what you'll be paying for. It will be noisy, but I take it if you're considering the village, vibrancy is what you're looking for.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:59 AM

Alot of the negative stuff I saw was here in the comments part Curbed: 184 Comes Alive (http://curbed.com/archives/2006/09/21/184_comes_alive.php - broken link)

Old 05-15-2009, 07:01 AM

Adam, yes I wouldn't really mind the noise so much. Was more troubled by the rats, roaches, and negative comments about the building relative to the price.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:07 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
You've chosen one of the priciest areas in Manhattan. The rent doesn't surprise me at all. It's par for the course. Especially if it's a furnished sublet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City