Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:29 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times

Advertisements

This is probably not a shock to anyone, seeing as it was a far closer race than anyone expected. I don't see this as good news, in fact, I see this as very BAD news for NYC. After listening through several debates, I quickly realized that Thompson had no platform or actionable plan for NYC to either move us out of this recession, or even move us in any direction at all. His mantra was simply, "Vote for me, at least I ain't Bloomberg."

He focused primarily on a strategy of DIVIDING NYC through race and classism in order to secure votes, a classic old school Democratic ploy. He is of the same Decmocratic blood of such blundering incompetence as Fernando Ferrer (epic failure Mayoral bid, same Democratic "dividing NYC" strategy, did nothing for the Bronx), David Dinkins (horrendous, do nothing Mayor who ran the city into almost complete chaos, crime and racial upheavel), and of course the "up and coming star" of the Democratic party Ruben Diaz (currently known for his "we rather be on welfare than have jobs" destruction of the Kingsbridge Armory redevelopment). Look for more incompetence from Ruben Diaz as he crushes the Bronx's progress by pandering to the usual Democratic lackies.

Unfortunately, having Thompson as Mayor would be the equivalent of Dinkins circa 1991. Same blundering incompetence, same race-baiting/classism economic strategies, and the same result: a sinking ship for NYC. For all our sakes, I hope somewith with a BRAIN, who does not put their party first and the city last, someone who does not come fully stocked with political chronies and lackies, will step forward and squash this buffoon. There is still lots of time...so I beg you...don't let Thompson happen to us. HELP!

William C. Thompson Jr. to Seek Mayor’s Office in 2013 - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 04:30 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Not only was it a closer race than anyone expected, but let's face it: there was really no good reason for Bloomberg to have won in the first place. There were roughly a million votes cast--in a city with 4.5 million registered voters. The turnout was less than 25% percent, for heaven's sake, and the whole thing came down to a few thousand votes. (This is actually not only pathetic, but fairly frightening). Hopefully, things will work out better next time.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:46 AM

The only good reason for Bloomberg to win was because Thompson was on the other ticket. If there were a real challenger with even the simplest of plans, and not coming stacked with the usual incompetent/divisive/race-baiting/corrupt politicians, Bloomberg probably would have lost.

Considering we could have had Thompson as Mayor, I think things worked out perfectly. What is frightening is that the city came close to voting in a guy whose only platform was "At least I ain't Bloomberg." Now that's scary.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:51 AM

203 posts, read 665,074 times
The next democratic mayor will be the Working Families Party's puppet. Campaign finance reform must cleanse the system otherwise we will get the same old political hacks...

Old 01-07-2010, 08:27 AM

I am not too familiar with the Working Class ticket, but I am open to listening. I am disgusted with Democrats..even if there is a viable Democratic with the vision, plan, and ability to lead, at the end of the day he will always be enslaved to his party and their political chronies.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:33 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,947,320 times
I wouldn't be surprised if Bloomberg changes the law and runs again Anyone but him....

Old 01-07-2010, 08:38 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,063,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Bloomberg changes the law and runs again Anyone but him....
Yeah I know right, you just can't trust a man who's middle name is Rubens.....

Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 AM

203 posts, read 665,074 times
Quote:
I am not too familiar with the Working Class ticket, but I am open to listening.
No no I'm not saying to support them...that "party" was formed so some democrats could get around campaign contribution restrictions. I have look into that more as well.

Quote:
Democratic party Ruben Diaz (currently known for his "we rather be on welfare than have jobs" destruction of the Kingsbridge Armory redevelopment
God help us if that ever happens.
NYC is a city of mostly democrats but we will not have had a democratic mayor for 20 years. Theres a reason for that. The party really needs to reinvent itself. I really think campaign finance reform and ethics reform needs to be implemented. Paterson brought those issues to light in his speech...and the state legislature is in dire need of ethics reform...no doubt about that.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:49 AM

Hehe..I would be turned off if he ran for a 4th term, and I think most people would be (I don't think he will). However, if it were a choice between what I heard from Thompson (i.e. "Vote for me at least I ain't Bloomberg) and voting Bloomberg in for a 4th term, I would probably vote in Bloomy again. When I vote, I am voting FOR someone, not against someone. If the only reason u are giving me to vote for you is simply that you are not the other guy, then I am not not voting for you. And that's why Thompson lost this time around.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:56 AM

Cyclops...if there were reasons for Ruben Diaz to run for Mayor, they would have been crushed with Thompson's anouncement to run. So that colossal fiasco has been avoided (barring any catastrophe that would remove Thompson from the equation).

There is no doubt that a city filled to the brim with Democrats, yet without a Democratic Mayor speaks volumes about the sorry shape Democrats are in. The people want results, they want accountability, and they want a reasonable level of ethics and honest...is that really so hard for the Democrats? Apparently it is. And with such incompetent race-baiting "rising stars" as Ruben Diaz, that only means the Democrats have no interest in changing anytime soon.

I would not be surprised if a third party candidate steps in and crushes Thompsons dreams again (and in the process saves this city from Dinkins 2013) of being Mayor. One can only pray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City