Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,347 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I recently put down a deposit on a room on 134 x B'way. Took it sight unseen. Does anyone live in this immediate area? Are you reasonably close (eg: safe walking distance) to amenities like grocery, coffee shops, video stores and laundry?

I stayed with a friend in Harlem for 3 weeks at 7th ave x 140th st (by Lenox) and it was a little too rough for me. I had to walk to her place from the subway at night a few times...yikes.

Is this area of Hamilton Heights actually any better? I'm not a skiddish girl, grew up all over LA County, but I'm petite and have a 'babyface' so I worry.

Anyhow, I chose Hamilton Heights over returning with my friend by Lenox b/c of proximity to trains and what I've heard in general about the area from people who lived there years ago.

But..."modern" reports are so conflicted! Some say there's no grocery stores, others say things have changed, some say it's totally unsafe to walk on summer evenings, others cite gentrification.

Any info would help.

Thanks much.

~the California newbie.

Last edited by mustard1234; 05-28-2009 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 08:59 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,742 times
Ok let's start with your first question. There is a subway station at the corner of 137th St and Bway. There are plenty of shops for meat, fish and groceries along Bway. There are restaurants on Bway, mostly Dominican and Mexican. There is also a McDonalds, and a Starbucks.

You hit the jackpot if you walk over to 135th and 12th. There is Covo's Pizza Italian Restaurant, A little further south of that is Dinosaur BBQ, across the street from there is Fairway Supermarket. Fairway has plenty of fresh produce, and a huge selection of organic everything if you are into that. They also sell prepared foods and salad bar. The store is huge and they have everything. The prices are generally very good.

In my opinion this area is safer than Lenox and 140th, it is very diverse, close to City College and not far from Columbia University. It is very busy, and a totally different vibe from Lenox and 140th.

In the summer the streets are very noisy and crowded. Not unsafe, this maybe a safety factor because people are always outside in the summer. It maybe a downside if you are trying to sleep and your window is facing the street.

If you like to walk, walk downtown to below 125th and continue on 110th or 96th there are plenty of unique restaurants and shops, not chains, between 125th and 110th, there are more as you continue south. You can also hop on the bus.

I hope you enjoy your summer there. You should not be bored.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:10 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
I live a bit north of where you'll be, but I've spent plenty of time in that general vicinity. You'll have little to fear in terms of safety--it may be only a few blocks from 7th Av and 140th, but the difference is fairly dramatic. While 134th and Bway itself isn't all that pretty (unless you like the somewhat gritty look), it's really close to some really nice places near Columbia. You're also really close to the awesome Fairway supermarket.

DAS gave you a really good starter. I suggest you spend some time on google street map and look at the ten or so blocks to the west and south of where you'll be--you'll probably find a couple of things you'd like. Of note are a few stretches along the 110s and 120s on both Amsterdam and Broadway that have really nice restaurants and cafes (I frequent the Hungarian Pastry shop myself). Let me know if you need more details.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:34 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
(I frequent the Hungarian Pastry shop myself). Let me know if you need more details.
Did you have to mention that place? I'm trying to avoid it especially now that summer is here. Absolutely delicious pastries.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:20 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
I went to Columbia and I wouldn't consider 134th St. anywhere near Columbia. But the Hungarian Pastry Shop is excellent!

Old 05-28-2009, 05:52 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I went to Columbia and I wouldn't consider 134th St. anywhere near Columbia. But the Hungarian Pastry Shop is excellent!
I guess biking has drastically condensed the city for me.

Which is another point. Bikes are awesome, consider using one when you get here.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:22 PM

5 posts, read 36,871 times
Yeh, biking is great in NYC. It will take you 5-10min to get to Columbia on a bike

Old 05-28-2009, 10:46 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,397 times
This area is really good for college students and young professionals as you won't be alone because so many people live there.

I was just over there about two weeks back and I was amazed at all the new restaurants and gourmet shops that have sprung up. Also there are some nice Mom & Pop discount stores, pet shops, photo shops etc., so you do have shopping in the area. You should be fine.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:22 AM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Really, since the Columbia area starts at around 120th, its less than a mile. I realize that you come to Union Theological Seminary, and the Jewish Theological Seminary and Manhattan School of Music before you hit Barnard College, and Columbia, but everyone just lumps that whole area into the Columbia Area of Morningside Heights. You can walk it in practically no time.

Also Columbia is expanding all the way up to around 134th. It is a different vibe around 116th but to state that it isn't anywhere near Columbia is a slight exaggeration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City