Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 01:20 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan42 View Post
Does anyone know if John Jay College of Criminal Justice a good or a bad school? If not does anyone know of colleges in new york that offer fire science/firefighting?

It's a good school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 11:46 AM

7 posts, read 48,368 times
Default certification of FDNY and John Jay College easy or hard?

Does anyone know if new york state accepts florida fire fighters certification? Also is it hard to get into CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice because I have a 2.795 GPA and I havent taken my SAT test yet just wondering.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:33 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,216 times
John Jay pro.....
1. Criminal Justice program tops in country!
2. Very affordable
3. Grad program is among top 50

John Jay con.....
1. CUNY rep
2. May not be for you if you want more than a commuter school
3. Are there job opportunities outside of law enforcement?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:01 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,928,621 times
I went to John Jay. I loved it for the people. I came from a small HS so going there I met a lot of friends. I hated it because I had to take a whole bunch of remedial classes that I never got credit for. It would have taken me another year before I actually started classes in my major. Then I thought about it. If I get a degree in Police Science... what is it good for except that? I'm getting old now, and 10 years later have returned back to school. Now I go to SUNY Empire State. I take no remedial classes, and all my classes are for my major. Also I still get both financial aide (TAP & PELL) since its a State school. If that’s the degree you want & career, I would go with John Jay. But if you want to explore your options & get a universal degree, I would go elsewhere.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:03 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,928,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan42 View Post
Does anyone know if new york state accepts florida fire fighters certification? Also is it hard to get into CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice because I have a 2.795 GPA and I havent taken my SAT test yet just wondering.

Its not a hard school to get into. Again you may have to take remedial class, which you will NOT get credit for. They are general education classes. That means it will take you longer to start to get your credits. Its like HS all over again. This is why I left.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:49 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,479 times
In Criminal Justice John Jay is one of the best - probably not tops.

The other "top" schools are - not in order.

Michigan State Lansing- the Big Ten is always good but most of them don't have criminal justice. Lansing is the capital.

Sam Houston State- The Criminal Justice Center- Huntsville . Centered around the state prison and extremely well funded this may be the #1 in the country now. Lots of expansion.

Florida State Univ-- In the capital- good resources.

The University of California Berkeley did have clearly the best program but Reagan shut it down when Governor.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 21,621 times
I have an unweighted gpa of 2.79 and a combined math and reading sat score of 800. What are my chances of getting accepted to CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice?

Last edited by Quantazia16; 02-03-2012 at 06:21 AM..

Old 02-03-2012, 06:32 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,106 times
John Jay is not one of the better schools in NYC, but then as a CUNY school it is very affordable.

It is not a school one should choose, unless your aim is employment with the city or state as a police office, firemen, or criminal technician. Otherwise the school will do nothing for you. A degree from Jonh Jay won't impress anyone.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:24 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantazia16 View Post
I have an unweighted gpa of 2.79 and a combined math and reading sat score of 800. What are my chances of getting accepted to CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice?
Probably without a doubt. The school is ok, I had some regrets going there but I still got my degree however failed at securing a civil service job. Its only good for obtaining govt jobs after graduation. Also study study study a lot of terms and case logs to remember. My Gpa at John jay was like a freaking roller coaster, what saved me was using my ipod to store terms and meanings and study on my way home to class via subway. If I'm not mistaken a new building has been built offering more classes and additional learning space for students.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:43 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,753 times
In terms of criminal justice it might be the best school in the nation relative to its cost. Now when I say 'best' I'm speaking in reference to the reputation of the school's programs, professors and access to jobs within that specific field. It is NOT an academically inclined or challenging school, even compared to other CUNYs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: