Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 03:35 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times

Advertisements

NYC is not dangerous.

I agree with the other posters. This would be a horrible time to come to NYC. If you did not have a toddler, I would say go for it, but you will absolutely not be able to afford it unless you have are independently wealthy. That daycare at the college is not going to be free either, and you will pay out of state tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 05:58 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Not only is it super expensive, the cost of living is very high, things like electricity, car insurance, and other basics of life are very expensive. The lifestyle of NYC is not really geared to a single mom and a child.
It would be if you have the $$ for it. The OP doesn't seem like she would have the funds to make a good enough life here for her or her child.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:59 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOUR_Quarterback_12 View Post
Yeah, besides the above posts, New York City is freakin dangerous. Things go down all the time........
NYC is not any more or less dangerous than other big cities. Things happen in all places.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,596 times
Hi there, thanks for your responses, that was actually my own thoughts as well. Utah is safe, cheap and SO boring, but maybe the best place to be while in school ;-) I will look into something smaller, safer and cheaper if I wanna move sometime, and then just dream of being a New York Girl, at least until I get my degree ;-)

Thx.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:55 PM

917 posts, read 2,948,634 times
I think the best advice you've gotten is to start with a smaller city and to work your way up to New York. There are lots of great cities where you will have an easier time establishing yourself. You also have to remember that the NYC school system is pretty bad, especially for older kids. You are still young. Why not take the time, build a career, and once your daughter is is grown, you won't be that old and you can move to NYC without the worries of a child. If your daughter is 3 now, it's only 15 years til she can go off to college or get a job and support herself. In that time, you can finish school and get a lot of professional experience. Maybe start by moving to the East Coast. There are lots of places to work outside of NYC with great schools. It may not be full blown NYC, but the cost of living is cheaper and the city is there for day trips. Whatever you do, stay in Utah until you finish school. It sounds like you have family there who help you, so use them to help you and your daughter til you have a career.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:24 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
Maybe move to NJ. There are plenty of great schools, depending on where you move it's safe and a good place to raise children, and you're not too far from your dream city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: