Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 12:12 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times

Advertisements

Anon..speaking of misquoting....you did you not read my comment, 1st sentence: ..."which does not mean NYC is safe." I mention last year because it is yet another year in 15+ years of a long term declining crime rate in NYC. This is indisputable, as any longterm resident will attest to. What makes it even more interesting is that despite the near collapse of our economy in late 2008 and through 2009, crime declined to record lows despite the cries that crime will skyrocket last year...very interesting indeed.

2010 has seen a rise, but remember, it is against a 40+ year record low, so it's important to keep that in perspective. Unfortunately people are fear mongering and claiming the city is quite dangerous, when the reality is if you are not a drug dealer or hang out with the homeys at 3am, the city is in fact the safest big city in the country (which again does not mean "safe"!).

I am not hell bent on convincing anyone of anything, I am merely providing factual information to counter anecdotal/feelings/what I heard type arguments that have nothing to do with what is actually occurring in NYC. It doesn't do anything for me per se, but it is important to not let rumors/lies go unchallenged, and somehow make NYC look much worse than it is.

As a NYer, and a human being, truth should matter, and I am perfectly happy with people providing actual factual information about crime, rather than making broad assumptions and claiming its fact based on what they saw that day, or what happened to their friend last week.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:16 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Anon..speaking of misquoting....you did you not read my comment, 1st sentence: ..."which does not mean NYC is safe." I mention last year because it is yet another year in 15+ years of a long term declining crime rate in NYC. This is indisputable, as any longterm resident will attest to. What makes it even more interesting is that despite the near collapse of our economy in late 2008 and through 2009, crime declined to record lows despite the cries that crime will skyrocket last year...very interesting indeed.

2010 has seen a rise, but remember, it is against a 40+ year record low, so it's important to keep that in perspective. Unfortunately people are fear mongering and claiming the city is quite dangerous, when the reality is if you are not a drug dealer or hang out with the homeys at 3am, the city is in fact the safest big city in the country (which again does not mean "safe"!).

I am not hell bent on convincing anyone of anything, I am merely providing factual information to counter anecdotal/feelings/what I heard type arguments that have nothing to do with what is actually occurring in NYC. It doesn't do anything for me per se, but it is important to not let rumors/lies go unchallenged, and somehow make NYC look much worse than it is.

As a NYer, and a human being, truth should matter, and I am perfectly happy with people providing actual factual information about crime, rather than making broad assumptions and claiming its fact based on what they saw that day, or what happened to their friend last week.
I have to disagree with your third paragraph. You say anecdotal/feelings that have nothing to do with what is actually occurring in NYC... but if someone sees someone robbing someone on their block, notices more people hanging out at the bodega than last year, heard more shots this year than last year... then it DOES have something to do with what's occurring in NYC because it's their reality.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:08 PM

It has something to do with their block/2 block radius, yes, I agree. Is it reasonable/fair then to assume that NYC has more gun shots, has more loitering, and more robberies? Of course not, and that is the simple point I am trying to make. To expand on my point, because your building has alot more domestic violence disputes, does not mean women are getting beat up in NYC more than ever.

Making broad assumptions based on a very narrow focus is wrong. When we step back and see what is happening across the board, and not just in your 3 block world, we can then make fair and reasonable statements about NYC. What too many people do now is what you described above: I saw somebody get robbed on my block..I have never seen that...NYC is out of control/crime is crazy here. That is simply wrong, and I will counter it every time!

Old 09-14-2010, 01:17 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Hey Guywithacause..whats up?

Well I just wanted to get your opinion on Mott Haven. Seems like murders are up 44% from last year. It's one of the biggest increases in the city.

What is happening to this wonderful south BX community?

Old 09-14-2010, 01:20 PM

810 posts, read 837,302 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but the sources you cite are compromised and cannot be taken as "truth". The official crime statistics are complete frauds, in that they are deliberately made to look as is there is considerably less crime in the city. People know when their neighborhood's safety deteriorates, and we don't need people like you putting false statistics and telling us we are wrong.

The NYPD Tapes: Inside Bed-Stuy's 81st Precinct - Page 1 - News - New York - Village Voice

Quote:
They reveal that precinct bosses threaten street cops if they don't make their quotas of arrests and stop-and-frisks, but also tell them not to take certain robbery reports in order to manipulate crime statistics. The tapes also refer to command officers calling crime victims directly to intimidate them about their complaints.

As a result, the tapes show, the rank-and-file NYPD street cop experiences enormous pressure in a strange catch-22: He or she is expected to maintain high "activity"—including stop-and-frisks—but, paradoxically, to record fewer actual crimes.
NYPD brass pressuring cops to keep down crime stats: report

Quote:
Two academics at an FBI-sponsored conference Friday will accuse the NYPD of cooking the books to make the city appear safer.

The claims are contained in a survey of more than 309 police officers - most of whom have served as precinct commanders since the department started using the CompStat program in the mid-'90s.

The pair of criminologists will also release recordings they obtained from several roll calls that they say capture supervisors telling officers not to take reports of robberies unless the victim is willing to go to the stationhouse.

The recordings also capture officers being told not to take reports if they think the district attorney will not prosecute.

Feds looking to interview NYPD crime stat whistleblower Adrian Schoolcraft

Quote:
The feds want to talk to the whistle-blowing Brooklyn cop who says NYPD brass tossed him into a psych ward after he accused supervisors of cooking the books on crime stats.

Schoolcraft accused commanders at the 81st Precinct of badgering or ignoring residents who try to file crime reports and classifying felonies as misdemeanors. The precinct's commanding officer, Deputy Inspector Steven Mauriello, was transferred to the Bronx transit unit in July. Cops say the transfer had nothing to do with Schoolcraft's claims.

Schoolcraft is suing the NYPD and Jamaica Hospital for $50 million.

A federal probe into the integrity of the city's crime stats could spell big trouble for Mayor Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly.

Both constantly tout the city's low crime rate, which is based on data the NYPD gives the FBI.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:24 PM

Hehe...SuperWario at least you show respect by using my original name...I appreciate that young Jedi. As far as the increase in murder, that 44% increase sounds scary indeed! The reality? It is an increase from 9 to 13...a "whopping" increase of 4. Gotta love how people throw around statistics when they know the actual numbers are small.

But since we are playing the stats game...ok:

-Since 1990 the murder rate is DOWN -80.6%, the overall crime rate is DOWN -77.3%
-Since 2001 the murder rate is DOWN -48.1%, the overall crime rate is DOWN -22.55%

So I would say...yeah...we are doing just fine. 1 year does not a trend make...eventually we had to have an up year...Moderator cut: Language happens..welcome to the real world. However, despite the 1 year of an increase we are still at record lows...believe it.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-21-2010 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 09-14-2010, 01:41 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Hehe...SuperWario at least you show respect by using my original name...I appreciate that young Jedi. As far as the increase in murder, that 44% increase sounds scary indeed! The reality? It is an increase from 9 to 13...a "whopping" increase of 4. Gotta love how people throw around statistics when they know the actual numbers are small.

But since we are playing the stats game...ok:

-Since 1990 the murder rate is DOWN -80.6%, the overall crime rate is DOWN -77.3%
-Since 2001 the murder rate is DOWN -48.1%, the overall crime rate is DOWN -22.55%

So I would say...yeah...we are doing just fine. 1 year does not a trend make...eventually we had to have an up year...Moderator cut: Language happens..welcome to the real world. However, despite the 1 year of an increase we are still at record lows...believe it.
You're my old sparring partner. Of course you have my respect old pal.

You know I will never say that the crime rate today is higher than it was in 1990 or than 2001. But there has been an increase. Who knows, maybe next week is back down to 0%. But just know that crime increases should be taken seriously. With the state of the economy and the smaller police force, one of these increases that you shove to the side, may actually be the start of a new era of crime in NYC. You can't expect things to stay the record low forever.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-21-2010 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 09-14-2010, 01:47 PM

I will agree with that SuperMario...this could be the turning point and we could be on a long term increasing crime trend. Or it could be 1 up year in another 10 years of declines. Who knows. I think how next year plays out will set the tone for NYC, and if it is a substantial increase in the crime rate, it will muddy the waters a bit.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:07 PM

84 posts, read 320,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
I'm sorry but the sources you cite are compromised and cannot be taken as "truth". The official crime statistics are complete frauds, in that they are deliberately made to look as is there is considerably less crime in the city. People know when their neighborhood's safety deteriorates, and we don't need people like you putting false statistics and telling us we are wrong.

The NYPD Tapes: Inside Bed-Stuy's 81st Precinct - Page 1 - News - New York - Village Voice

NYPD brass pressuring cops to keep down crime stats: report

Feds looking to interview NYPD crime stat whistleblower Adrian Schoolcraft
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/10/ny...%20tape&st=cse

Ticket Quotas Exist in New York, a Tape Suggests - NYTimes.com

Thought I'd add some...

Old 09-14-2010, 06:23 PM

301 posts, read 640,303 times
We seem to have a spike in crime compared to last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City