Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 10:39 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,053,361 times

Advertisements

Hey Bluedog, I found something of interest to you. I think this is where I got my population numbers of community districts from. It's a more recent estimate than the 2000 CD numbers we have access to. In the case of the CD # 7 the population has decreased a good deal since 2000.

They combined the smaller CD's, such as 1+2 and 3+6. We can get a more accurate crime rate using these numbers.

These are 3 year estimates (2006-2008)...in parenthesis I put the difference from the 2000 numbers.

CD 1 + CD 2 = 147,365 (+18,382)

CD 3 + CD 6 = 153,418 (+9,156)

CD 4 = 137,052 (-2,511)

CD 5 = 129,521 (+1,208)

CD 7 = 123,216 (-18,195)

The rest can be found here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/census/puma_demo_06to08_acs.pdf#bx1and2

I noticed that the south Bronx gained alot of population while CD 4 and CD 7 lost....# 7 especially lost. I wonder what happened. But these numbers seem right to me because as you saw from the crime map, precincts 44, 46, and 52 were in the same crime rate range. But using the 2000 census numbers with today's crime rate, makes the 52nd look puny as compared to the others. You know what else? In 2000 the 52nd had a whopping 23 homicides (3rd in the city) but now it just breaks 7. I think it has something to do with the decreased pop.

What do you think?

Old 06-26-2010, 10:43 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,415,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
That's what people have been saying for a while, especially for Bed Stuy with there being gunshots reported every week. And LES, lol, despite the cleanup and condos built, it still looks the hood to me epescially around East Broadway. If you look at Gothamist, you'll see another shooting reported in Bed Stuy and two shootings in Bushwick, another neighborhood that has "gentrified". So when it comes to these neighborhoods, it kills me when people say they're pretty safe now.
when i look at gothamist , their seems to always be a shooting every week in both bed stuy , and east harlem, east harlem always makes it to the daily blotter also.

the bronx to but all the shootings are spread out but theirs a shooting somewhere in the bx every night lol.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It's really funny because a couple of weeks ago I was trying to figure out which precinct in the city had the highest crime rate.I figured it had to be either some place in The South Bronx or E NY or Brownsville so I started with that premise and didn't even look at EHarlem,Lower East Side,Bed Stuy or Midtown.
Turns out they have higher rates than any place in The Bx or ENY or Brownsville.Amazing.

When you look at this map it kind of makes it look like Manhattan is the most dangerous borough,not The Bronx or Brooklyn.LOL

It also looks like The Lower East Side and Bed Stuy haven't been "gentrified" nearly as much as everyone seems to think !
the eastern portion of bed stuy isnt gentrified to me , its still a hell hole , when i say eastern bed stuy , i mean starting at malcom x all the way down to howard ave.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:05 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,053,361 times
Why are there so many robberies int he 52nd precinct as compared to the 44th or 46th?

The 52nd precinct robbery rates are right there with Morrisania.

Hunts Point has astronomicaly high assault rates.

Morrisania has the edge in homicides.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:02 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,750 times
Crazed lover kills mother of three in Bronx, one of four homicides in city

From a few days ago: More shots fly as three slain in city

Forgot this one: Customs officer known as 'Big Mo' shot dead after defending cousin's honor at Queens nightclub

In addition to the article Andez posted, that should total 12 homicides in one week. Damn, pretty bad week.

Last edited by njnyckid; 06-26-2010 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 10:38 AM

423 posts, read 1,281,294 times
Quote:

Forgot this one: Customs officer known as 'Big Mo' shot dead after defending cousin's honor at Queens nightclub

In addition to the article Andez posted, that should total 12 homicides in one week. Damn, pretty bad week.
If you look at the newsmap there was also a double homicide today at 4 am at Sterling Pl and Rochester avenue in Crown Heights. (At least, I believe that's Crown Heights)

Old 06-27-2010, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,990 times
Quote:

The first killing happened in my neighborhood (Bronxdale Projects), the second in a month there.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
If you look at the newsmap there was also a double homicide today at 4 am at Sterling Pl and Rochester avenue in Crown Heights. (At least, I believe that's Crown Heights)
yea crown heights, but some people call it weeksville, but my friends girl lives on sterling between rochester and utica, its a hot block.

in 2008 i remember reading in the newspaper that sterling place between schenectady and rochester was the hottest block.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
yea crown heights, but some people call it weeksville, but my friends girl lives on sterling between rochester and utica, its a hot block.

in 2008 i remember reading in the newspaper that sterling place between schenectady and rochester was the hottest block.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:44 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
Good conversations...way better than just posting headlines..we are actually breaking it down and analyzing the data. Bluedog thanks for taking the lead...

I have noticed in my area (Woodstock/North Mott Haven), about 100 cops/cars/vans are clustered every morning around Jackson Ave train station (2/5 line). Seems that they are now meeting here every morning, strategizing, then fanning out into the neighborhood. I personally like this...it shows a strong presence in the community, and it makes it more localized and gets people out of the precinct and in the streets. They unroll maps and all gather around..then disperse...we'll see what effect, if any, it has. Has anyone else noticed this in their neighborhoods, or is it just the 40th precinct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City