Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 15,950 times

Advertisements

Hi, i'm moving to Brooklyn in May - I think i've narrowed my areas I want to apt hunt for, but could really use some feedback.

I'm 25, and of course popular demand, want somewhere safe. I lived in many cities so I know blocks change by each block but just in general.

I work in tourism and haven't locked a job down yet, but was thinking an average of $1000ish/mo for a one bedroom. I've been craigslisting it and it looks like these are my options -

Bay Ridge
Sunset Park
Bensonhurt
Williamsburg - (is there a good and bad part of Williamsburg?)

Also does anyone have any suggestions of a good time frame to start job/apt hunting? I've got about 4 months before I can move...so I was thinking 2 months?

Any other good place to check for apts besides Craigslist? It's so full of scams lately.

***Any help would be really really appreciated***
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 09:12 AM

312 posts, read 910,032 times
apartments.com has alot of flats/houses listed.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:01 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
I'd start the job search ASAP, you'll need a job to get an apt in many cases (shares where roommates already live there is a possible exception). Also helps to know where you're commuting to. I'd not look at the map, so much as the trains. Is it near the train? Is that train convenient for my job?

The housing search often happens fast (in the sense that people are looking for someone to move in ASAP). It might be hard to find something for your target date 2 months ahead of time. You could face pressure to move in sooner.

Be warned that some of the $1000 1-BR in safe areas will be pretty small and/or ugly. It's expensive around here.

In addition to the Brooklyn areas you listed, you might want to take a look at Astoria in Queens. Similar profile. Again, don't go too far from the subway (some places in Astoria are quite a hike from the train).

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeofthis View Post
Bay Ridge
Sunset Park
Bensonhurt
Williamsburg - (is there a good and bad part of Williamsburg?)
I know all of these places well.

Bay Ridge:

Pros: very nice neighborhood, a lot of reasonably priced places to eat, safe, nice park along Shore Rd with views of the city and harbor

Cons: pain to commute from (long, slow train ride at any time, absolute agony late at night when the R only runs as a shuttle and you have to wait for 2-3 trains-it can be almost 2 hours on the trains, or $35 for a taxi to get home from Manhattan after midnight); insularity (some more new arrivals than in years past, but mostly local lifers who don't interact with newcomers that much).

Bensonhurst (it has another "s"):

Pros: The D train along New Utrecht Av is a quicker express train to Manhattan, generally safe

Cons: Not as attractive a neighborhood as Bay Ridge in my opinion, less diversity of restaurants, some parts can be far from the subway (e.g. toward Dyker Heights), also insular

Sunset Park:

Pros: Some very nice brownstone blocks, more afforable, slightly closer than Bay Ridge (at night it won't make much difference), the actual Sunset Park has nice views of the skyline and harbor

Cons: A little less safe in some spots, desolate and industrial from 3rd Ave to the water, kind of noisy and crowded on 5th Avenue

This is neither pro nor con, but Sunset Park is heavily Latino (PR, DR, Mex, Cent Am all together) near 4th, 5th Avenues, and a virtual Chinatown on 7th and 8th Aves near 60th St.

Williamsburg:

Pros: If you're into the W'bg scene, it has the most nightlife and youthful energy of any of these places. A very trendy underground-ish scene (think vintage clothing and very tight jeans). Bay Ridge tends more toward neighborhood bars serving neighborhood folk; technically closer to Manhattan.

Cons: Often overpriced, the L train is very crowded and requires a transfer to get anywhere in Manhattan except 14th St, J train only goes to lower Manhattan, some parts kind of ugly and/or sketchy, changes rapidly from block to block.

Is there are good and bad W'bg? Yes, several. It's a big area, with a lot of different vibes in different parts. This problem is compounded by the insistence of real estate people on calling all sorts of places that are miles away "Williamsburg."

It's a complicated area to describe, but here's my take on some of them. I'm sure some others will disagree.

Berry Av. to the river: More industrial and desolate, some luxury high-rises going up on Kent Av, and some interesting little bars and clubs tucked in, cool murals.

Area near Bedford Ave. stop on L (Berry to Roebling or Havemeyer, Metropolitan to McCarren Park): Hipster heaven. The first part of the area to be "rediscovered" and full of bars and shops. A bit pricier.

Metropolitan Ave south to Broadway: Historically Puerto Rican area with some hipsters mixed in, home to Peter Luger's. The area over near Hewes St on the J train is generally not as rough as it might look under the elevated subway.

Broadway south to Flushing Ave, river to Union Av: Overwhelmingly Hasidic area, more desolate, uglier and sketchier as you get toward Flushing Ave.

East of Union Ave, to about Bushwick Av: not so bad these days, though the part below Metropolitan was a little rough a while back. Growing young semi-hipster population, some good nightlife and coffee houses, etc. Quieter in the traditionally Italian area north of Metropolitan Av. Still decent Puerto Rican/Latino population in area near Grand St.

Near Morgan Ave stop on L train, and many areas east of Bushwick Av: much more industrial, warehouses, some lofts mixed in but pretty desolate.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:30 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
I'd scratch Bensonhurst off the list. You could find an apt in your range in Bay Ridge but the train can be brutal if you plan on a lot of late nights in the city. The express bus is a great option if you live near Shore Road, but the rents will be higher there. If you're a little adventurous I would check out Sunset Park.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:34 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I'd start the job search ASAP, you'll need a job to get an apt in many cases (shares where roommates already live there is a possible exception). Also helps to know where you're commuting to. I'd not look at the map, so much as the trains. Is it near the train? Is that train convenient for my job?

The housing search often happens fast (in the sense that people are looking for someone to move in ASAP). It might be hard to find something for your target date 2 months ahead of time. You could face pressure to move in sooner.

Be warned that some of the $1000 1-BR in safe areas will be pretty small and/or ugly. It's expensive around here.

In addition to the Brooklyn areas you listed, you might want to take a look at Astoria in Queens. Similar profile. Again, don't go too far from the subway (some places in Astoria are quite a hike from the train).

I know all of these places well.

Bay Ridge:

Pros: very nice neighborhood, a lot of reasonably priced places to eat, safe, nice park along Shore Rd with views of the city and harbor

Cons: pain to commute from (long, slow train ride at any time, absolute agony late at night when the R only runs as a shuttle and you have to wait for 2-3 trains-it can be almost 2 hours on the trains, or $35 for a taxi to get home from Manhattan after midnight); insularity (some more new arrivals than in years past, but mostly local lifers who don't interact with newcomers that much).

Bensonhurst (it has another "s"):

Pros: The D train along New Utrecht Av is a quicker express train to Manhattan, generally safe

Cons: Not as attractive a neighborhood as Bay Ridge in my opinion, less diversity of restaurants, some parts can be far from the subway (e.g. toward Dyker Heights), also insular

Sunset Park:

Pros: Some very nice brownstone blocks, more afforable, slightly closer than Bay Ridge (at night it won't make much difference), the actual Sunset Park has nice views of the skyline and harbor

Cons: A little less safe in some spots, desolate and industrial from 3rd Ave to the water, kind of noisy and crowded on 5th Avenue

This is neither pro nor con, but Sunset Park is heavily Latino (PR, DR, Mex, Cent Am all together) near 4th, 5th Avenues, and a virtual Chinatown on 7th and 8th Aves near 60th St.

Williamsburg:

Pros: If you're into the W'bg scene, it has the most nightlife and youthful energy of any of these places. A very trendy underground-ish scene (think vintage clothing and very tight jeans). Bay Ridge tends more toward neighborhood bars serving neighborhood folk; technically closer to Manhattan.

Cons: Often overpriced, the L train is very crowded and requires a transfer to get anywhere in Manhattan except 14th St, J train only goes to lower Manhattan, some parts kind of ugly and/or sketchy, changes rapidly from block to block.

Is there are good and bad W'bg? Yes, several. It's a big area, with a lot of different vibes in different parts. This problem is compounded by the insistence of real estate people on calling all sorts of places that are miles away "Williamsburg."

It's a complicated area to describe, but here's my take on some of them. I'm sure some others will disagree.

Berry Av. to the river: More industrial and desolate, some luxury high-rises going up on Kent Av, and some interesting little bars and clubs tucked in, cool murals.

Area near Bedford Ave. stop on L (Berry to Roebling or Havemeyer, Metropolitan to McCarren Park): Hipster heaven. The first part of the area to be "rediscovered" and full of bars and shops. A bit pricier.

Metropolitan Ave south to Broadway: Historically Puerto Rican area with some hipsters mixed in, home to Peter Luger's. The area over near Hewes St on the J train is generally not as rough as it might look under the elevated subway.

Broadway south to Flushing Ave, river to Union Av: Overwhelmingly Hasidic area, more desolate, uglier and sketchier as you get toward Flushing Ave.

East of Union Ave, to about Bushwick Av: not so bad these days, though the part below Metropolitan was a little rough a while back. Growing young semi-hipster population, some good nightlife and coffee houses, etc. Quieter in the traditionally Italian area north of Metropolitan Av. Still decent Puerto Rican/Latino population in area near Grand St.

Near Morgan Ave stop on L train, and many areas east of Bushwick Av: much more industrial, warehouses, some lofts mixed in but pretty desolate.
Very accurate observation and description. I do want to add that Bensonhurst has the N Train on Bay Parkway which also runs express. However, it has gotten so dirty. Unless you are around 86th street or 18th Ave, there isn't a big selection of good restaurants, not big on a nightlife, not including the Sky Lounge or Casanova.
Also neither pro or con, it's becoming very Asian and Russian.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:57 PM

157 posts, read 394,858 times
Bay Ridge is the nicest neighborhood out of the one's you've chosen. Very middle-class classic Italian families. Bensonhurst is more working-class Italians. The area is a bona fide Brooklyn neighborhood though. Sunset Park is heavily Latino and is probably the least safe out of the four neighborhoods listed, but it's not as dangerous as it used to be. If you don't mind a lot of graffiti, abandoned buildings, hipsters, and a sweet night life then w'burg is an awsome area. The burg is FULL of life. I went to a Girl Talk concert in there last summer and it was CRAZY!! The area was just covered in solo cups, ppl smoking weed, and full of fraternity-like people. IDK if you want that kind of stuff, but it is available in Williamsburg.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 15,950 times
Wow I really appreciate all of the fabulous feedback, these details will me tons, thank you everyone!

Old 01-08-2010, 10:13 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGED View Post
Bay Ridge is the nicest neighborhood out of the one's you've chosen. Very middle-class classic Italian families. Bensonhurst is more working-class Italians. The area is a bona fide Brooklyn neighborhood though. Sunset Park is heavily Latino and is probably the least safe out of the four neighborhoods listed, but it's not as dangerous as it used to be. If you don't mind a lot of graffiti, abandoned buildings, hipsters, and a sweet night life then w'burg is an awsome area. The burg is FULL of life. I went to a Girl Talk concert in there last summer and it was CRAZY!! The area was just covered in solo cups, ppl smoking weed, and full of fraternity-like people. IDK if you want that kind of stuff, but it is available in Williamsburg.
Correction! - Bensonhurst is a cornucopia of middle-class Italians with a significant presence of working-class Chinese and Russians. There is nothing "unsafe" about this neighborhood. If you run with the wrong crowd, danger will follow you everywhere.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:38 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Correction! - Bensonhurst is a cornucopia of middle-class Italians with a significant presence of working-class Chinese and Russians. There is nothing "unsafe" about this neighborhood. If you run with the wrong crowd, danger will follow you everywhere.
I agree. Actually there are less and less Italians in Bensonhurst. It's becoming very Asian and Russian. There is no lack of Chinese restaurants/supermarkets/nail salons, that's for sure. I literally just moved from Bensonhurst, it's all very fresh in my memory and it's really pretty safe. I used to take a train home from the city and come home really late and wasn't really worried about getting robbed.

If I had to move back to Brooklyn for some reason, I wouldn't chose Bensonhurst again. I would either chose to live in Bay Ridge, Sheepshead Bay or Kings Highway. All in my price range, but commute to the city would once again suck. If you want a good commute to the city, pick Astoria Queens.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:52 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I live in Bensonhurst, it is the cheapest of all the neighborhoods. It is safe, subways and stores. It has absolutely no nightlife what so ever, and that's how we like it, so it is quiet. Living near bars and Restaurants is noisy. You can get to other neighborhods very easily.
We have D and N trains, buses.
Williamsburg while supposedly "trendy" is thought of by Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst residents as old, crappy and disgusting and a step down in living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City