Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:49 PM

5 posts, read 23,696 times

Advertisements

Im a white girl, 24, and I moved to Brooklyn from Midtown Manhattan when i was 20. I have been all over Brooklyn,Bronx & Queens, in whats considered the "bad" areas, and I honestly think its hysterical that people are afraid. Unless you're walking around LOOKING lost and scared and uncomfortable, no one is going to bother you. Unless you're offended by the occaisional whistle or "hey baby", youve got nothing to worry about. Brooklyn is a great area, I love it, and have NEVER felt unsafe at any point since Ive been here, including walking back to my apartment from the subway at all hours of the night.

I've read some of the comments people have left & they would have "outta towners" believe they are about to step into Iraq if they go ENY,Bedstuy,Soundview,EtcEtc..it's ridiculous

The funny thing is,the only time i've ever been a victin of crime was back in good old Manhattan.Weird huh

(Btw i wasn't talking to anyone in particular,i just had to get it off my chest).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 12:38 AM

314 posts, read 547,241 times
Exactly. There are no dangerous areas in NYC anymore. I don't understand why every few days a new thread will pop up asking whether and adress in BK Harlem or the BX is safe to live. Everywhere in NYC is safe!!

Old 01-08-2010, 04:25 AM

477 posts, read 1,406,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1ne View Post
Im a white girl, 24, and I moved to Brooklyn from Midtown Manhattan when i was 20. I have been all over Brooklyn,Bronx & Queens, in whats considered the "bad" areas, and I honestly think its hysterical that people are afraid. Unless you're walking around LOOKING lost and scared and uncomfortable, no one is going to bother you. Unless you're offended by the occaisional whistle or "hey baby", youve got nothing to worry about. Brooklyn is a great area, I love it, and have NEVER felt unsafe at any point since Ive been here, including walking back to my apartment from the subway at all hours of the night.

I've read some of the comments people have left & they would have "outta towners" believe they are about to step into Iraq if they go ENY,Bedstuy,Soundview,EtcEtc..it's ridiculous

The funny thing is,the only time i've ever been a victin of crime was back in good old Manhattan.Weird huh

(Btw i wasn't talking to anyone in particular,i just had to get it off my chest).
I agree with you to a point, but there are still places that I would not be walking around at night, or even during the day if I was dressed up or carrying shopping bags or something. Are u a NY native? I brought up a point on another thread about how sometimes transplants are too trusting and take chances that natives probably wouldn't. I'm not meaning to offend, I'm just very concerned for people who think they can go wherever whenever and be safe.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:57 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Go walk around East New York or Brownsville and get back to me.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:09 AM

176 posts, read 730,194 times
Quote:

Brooklyn is quite safe, while there are places that arent I think the real deal here is any where most blacks and hispanic lives are considered dangerous. People are afraid of what they dont know. I used to live on Flatbush and I would be on the subway all hours of night never felt unsave. I now live in Canarsie and they are also calling this area dangerous while in every town you have your group of craziest it is fairly save. I'm glad you brought his up because I think things are changing now because of youngsters like yourself who are open minded and do not judge people because you see them standing on the street or hanging with their boys on the street. I remembered one time I got on the train the door closed on my bag, all the people with suite and tie just stood there and this guy whom had hood on with baggy jeans came and helped me with a smile and asked if I was ok. Media has always made black neighborhoods to seem like a death trap. I lived in the Bronx as well Grandconcourse never had a problem. If fact some of those guys standing on the street are the once looking out for you alot of the time because they see you live in the neighborhood.

Thanks again for shedding the lights, with more people like you growing up this counrty will surely change and we can all live comfortably amongst each other.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:49 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
I can tell you haven't been in the South Bronx....

160's and Boston Road.

and get back at me.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:10 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
In general I understand and agree with what this poster is saying. We know that something like 80% of murders in NYC are committed by someone they knew, and 70% of those are drug-related. As a longtime resident of NYC, you are likely to be the victim of crime by someone you know..i.e hanging out/associating with the wrong crowd (believeing they are your friends), or doinjg dumb things like hanging out with the homies at the bodega at 3am, etc.

I believe NYC is far safer than many posters on here would have you believe. Is there still crime? Yup. However, the reality is if you don't associate with the "wrong" kinds of people, you have little to worry about even in the "ghettos." The problem for those that are victims of crimes is that they have no way to get away from the "wrong" types, and must interact with them in some way or another. My honest opinion is that TODAY if you simply not associate with the wrong people, and use basic street smarts (not walk around with 100 pounds of gold jewelry around your neck for example), crime is a non-issue even in the "ghettos".

I agree that much of the "dangerous areas" hype is too often exaggeration...if you are looking for trouble you will find it anywhere you go.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:51 AM

420 posts, read 805,181 times
Yeah, walk around Bronwnsville at night and come back and tell me its safe....that is, if you survive it.............

Old 01-08-2010, 09:02 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Yup, it's the darkness that makes the difference. ENY and Brownsville at night is very, very different (off the main drags especially!

Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:

Perhaps the reason why you feel so secure is that you stay in your "comfort zone" - take the train lines you know, get off the stops you are familiar with, walk the same route day after day. Now if we were to take you out of your comfort zone, would you feel as secure?

I am a native NY'er and let me tell you, there are some streets I wouldn't frequent - and I've been to every borough and most of the neighborhoods when times were really "hairy" in the 70's and 80's. Yes, today the city is far safer, but never underestimate the ability for this place to surprise you - sometimes in unfortunate ways and even in the "safest" or "trendiest" of neighbhoods. My guess you are living in trendy Williamsburg - continue on the L train and get off at the Franklin Ave. stop, or take a walk over to Morgan Avenue at night - let me know how safe you feel. If you live in downtown Bklyn, head over to the other side of Flatbush and walk in a few miles, let me know how comforting that is - particularly in the summertime at night. If you're in Bay Ridge, head over to Sunset Park; hang around the park or head over to 3rd Ave by the highway. If you feel like exploring outside the borough, head up to the So. Bronx, like the OP mentioned at Boston Post Road - where the popping noises are not firecrackers going off. There are too many places to list, but those are just some examples.

As far as being "afraid", I think a more appropriate word is "aware", "very aware of your surroundings".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City