Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:54 AM

197 posts, read 636,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
It sounds like Spring Valley.
Almost, Haverstraw. And on another note the white people were so Irish and Italian, I didnt even know what a Protestant was until Middle school.

Last edited by Met8568; 01-04-2011 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 10:18 AM

40 posts, read 61,684 times
I can only speak from my experiences as a Dominican living in the Bronx. I have never really seen or heard of inter-latino hate other than between gangs. The normal average every day latinos get along rather well although there is a special bond between Dominicans and Puerto Ricans.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:21 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
Quote:
Right now I'm dating a Dominican girl her hair has many of the qualties of an AA woman but it seems to "fall and move" better. What is it that DR woman are doing that AA woman aren't doing? No offense to AA woman but I'm not a fan of weaves and braid extensions and find the natural hair pretty when its controlled. So what's the secret? I just thought my gf might have more Europen admixture that gave her hair a different quality.
No, it's not about different hair quality, it's the technique.
Answers.com - What is the dominican blowout technique

Back in da day, AA women the the roller sets too. For some reason we got away from it. I think our hair was a lot healthier back then.

It takes time and patience to have healthy hair. Most Dominican women have used these techniques since childhood, so their hair is a lot healthier.

QUESTION: Do men prefer the long and straight look? I believe that's what most women think, which is why a lot of AA women wear hairweaves.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:32 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
No, it's not about different hair quality, it's the technique.
Answers.com - What is the dominican blowout technique

Back in da day, AA women the the roller sets too. For some reason we got away from it. I think our hair was a lot healthier back then.

It takes time and patience to have healthy hair. Most Dominican women have used these techniques since childhood, so their hair is a lot healthier.

QUESTION: Do men prefer the long and straight look? I believe that's what most women think, which is why a lot of AA women wear hairweaves.
For whatever reason I'm attracted to women of color. My preference is real hair. I dated a few girls with weaves and touching the tracks creeps me out. I can't speak for all men but healthy, full hair weather natural or processed is the way to go. Just as long as it grew out of your scalp. I'm also grossed out by too much product. I don't like to see that residue on my pillow.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
For whatever reason I'm attracted to women of color. My preference is real hair. I dated a few girls with weaves and touching the tracks creeps me out. I can't speak for all men but healthy, full hair weather natural or processed is the way to go. Just as long as it grew out of your scalp. I'm also grossed out by too much product. I don't like to see that residue on my pillow.
Sorry to digress from the original topic but this is fascinating to me.

Interestingly, if you look at Dominican womens' hair over time, you see the toll of overprocessing. That blowtorch (I mean blowdryer) is not good for the hair. Neither are relaxers or coloring. And, lot of Dominican women are into that brassy blonde look.

I gave up the creamy crack and heat a few years ago, and I don't color despite some silver stuff popping up. I am 100% natural, and I constantly get compliments on my hair. I think the fact that it looks thick and healthy is what makes people look twice.

IMO, Dominican and AA women are caught up into having long, straight, light colored hair, because we've bought into the European beauty standard, which tells us that our hair is no good. Sometimes that message even comes from our families and loved ones.

Example, my Dominican ex-co-worker, who is a curly/natural like me, said that her grandmother said that it was shameful for her to wear her hair that way and that she needed to "get it done."

Old 01-05-2011, 09:23 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Met8568 View Post
Almost, Haverstraw. And on another note the white people were so Irish and Italian, I didnt even know what a Protestant was until Middle school.

when I was growing up, this new girl had just moved to our school. She was asked "are you Jewish or Catholic" (actually they said Catlick, but you get the idea). She said she was "christian" eliciting puzzlement. Finally someone said "thats like catlick"

Old 01-05-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Met8568 View Post
I'm from Queens and I didn't know that white people weren't Jewish until I saw the Brady Bunch celebrating Christmas on TV.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:40 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
AAS, DRS both are bigger consumers of Barner Bros hair products. Think in the long run all that Dominican blow out destroyes the hair eventually. It happened to all my aunts and my mom in my family and the sad thing they look European and have straight hair, but they insist taht they are hundred percent black. They destroyed thier hair by going to to many AA and Dominican hair salons. Its sad they destroyed thier natural Aurburn hair. I agree Natural is best and sometimes weave and and cornrows creep me out as well. Besides weave makes mess in the bathtub. Sometimes I feel sorry for all those Indians and Chinese people who cut thier hair for a few cents so that they hair can be processed and imported to America and be used as extensions and weaves.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:
It sounds like Spring Valley.
yea once he said haitians i put spring valley in my head but nyack and haverstraw have large amounts to.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 AM

197 posts, read 636,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
yea once he said haitians i put spring valley in my head but nyack and haverstraw have large amounts to.
Spring Valley is quickly getting taken over by Mexicans and Central Americans. Haverstraw the village is still mostly Hispanic mainly Dominican. The town is probably equal in DR and PR, with a fair ammounts of AA and Hatians in West Haverstraw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City