Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 03:56 PM

257 posts, read 507,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olo123 View Post
Abe, thanks for answering plenty of questions. What do you do on the midnight besides baskets?
my garage does 3 splits it depends where u are another garage i know of does baskets 12-8 mon wed and thrus or sat (3times a week) depends on where u go.... it wont matter for most of u anyway im bottem guy at my garage we got like 5 after the blizzard 3 otj and 2 rookiees just do wut ur supposed to call for ur orders and dont get too caught up in the game and ull be ok

Old 09-13-2011, 04:51 PM

473 posts, read 932,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMansBro View Post
I see everyone saying training is 4 weeks. Is that 2 weeks at FBF and 2 weeks OTJ?
its 4 weeks at fbf. the last week is ojt night driving which means doing relays at night 4 - 12 or 12 -8. after that you are placed in your district and you are days for the first 30 then after that it's whatever shift your seniority puts you

Old 09-13-2011, 04:52 PM

473 posts, read 932,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faubs110 View Post
Yes....the green monsters on the corners

No such thing as a split shift here....tissue is a certain job like the wrecker guy or garage utility person...meaning once you are on it its yours for life unless you decide to give it up and you are the same shift everyday.....only days you are not on it are Sundays and your chart day....certain garages may have tissues that others don't...for an example my garage has a special truck that goes to Rikers everyday to pick up their food waste bins and dump it at a special location at Rikers.....it keeps that guy 6-2 M-F with Sat/Sun off.....no truck money involved but its a steady gig
You are very informative, you must work in Queens west

Old 09-13-2011, 04:53 PM

208 posts, read 438,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris905 View Post
great! Thanks for the info...

One more question... do most people want to work on the trucks because they make more money or would most rather do something else (not sure what/don't know what else there is)? Are these things you can pick or you just do whatever there is to do?

Its really to each his/her own, some people run from the truck... even more do if its raining. As the bottom/near the bottom guy, you pretty much get whatever scraps fall from the table from the senior men. If you have one guy under you, you have at least at little bit of choice.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:19 PM

184 posts, read 338,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAPES24 View Post
You are very informative, you must work in Queens west

only when i drink beers early in the morning

Old 09-13-2011, 06:41 PM

184 posts, read 338,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris905 View Post
great! Thanks for the info...

One more question... do most people want to work on the trucks because they make more money or would most rather do something else (not sure what/don't know what else there is)? Are these things you can pick or you just do whatever there is to do?

depends on the individual.....some like the money....some like not to be sore....your seniority or lack of will dictate what you do and what shift you do it on....it will all be a a lot clearer when you come to the garage to do your ojt....will take a few weeks to understand the board and the rules that go along with it.....my personal opinion....if you want the money and stay in shape take the truck if you can....if you want to relax a bit and stay clean do the relays/garage/community service etc.....

Old 09-13-2011, 11:11 PM

62 posts, read 114,186 times
To The New Class. A very important question. The most important one is not being asked. Did you guys get 20 Years? Because all Uniformed Sanitation Workers are working without a Contract as of Septemebr 1st 2011.

Did you get 20 Years for 50% Pension or are they telling you you get what ever the union and the city agree to when they finiliase the new contract?

The reason I am asking is because NYPD and FDNY are already 22.5 years for 50% the only reason DSNY did change yet was because we still had 2 years left when theirs was over and signed a new one for 22.5 years for bigger pay

Old 09-14-2011, 02:58 AM

156 posts, read 327,176 times
I bought back 3 years from my military. but unless you want to retire and get another job i would advise doing 25 years.. Most people who retire after 20 regret not doing the 25.... Dont think you can retire at 18 years and live the high life . At 25 years they add your longevity time into your pension... makes a difference. I am going for 25 and with my military time its like 28 yrs. (i have 12 yrs complete)

Most people u talk to are going to say i am doing 20 and out... but when the time comes and you see your numbers you might decide different if you dont have your stuff together... or if you have a wife that doesnt work .

Old 09-14-2011, 03:56 AM

269 posts, read 496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbobynot View Post
To The New Class. A very important question. The most important one is not being asked. Did you guys get 20 Years? Because all Uniformed Sanitation Workers are working without a Contract as of Septemebr 1st 2011.

Did you get 20 Years for 50% Pension or are they telling you you get what ever the union and the city agree to when they finiliase the new contract?

The reason I am asking is because NYPD and FDNY are already 22.5 years for 50% the only reason DSNY did change yet was because we still had 2 years left when theirs was over and signed a new one for 22.5 years for bigger pay
Yes we get 20 years. And according to the union contract we all received yesterday. The contract does not expire until September 20th.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:10 AM

116 posts, read 239,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trag672 View Post
I bought back 3 years from my military. but unless you want to retire and get another job i would advise doing 25 years.. Most people who retire after 20 regret not doing the 25.... Dont think you can retire at 18 years and live the high life . At 25 years they add your longevity time into your pension... makes a difference. I am going for 25 and with my military time its like 28 yrs. (i have 12 yrs complete)

Most people u talk to are going to say i am doing 20 and out... but when the time comes and you see your numbers you might decide different if you dont have your stuff together... or if you have a wife that doesnt work .
I think lots of people overlook that fact. That was posted here long ago, that the longevity is not counted until you hit 25 years, so why people would leave after 20 is beyond me, they are giving away their own money. They hear "20 years" & don't bother reading the fine print. Yeah, you CAN retire after 20 years, but not using the salary you actually made for the last 5. because the 15 & 20 year increases only count toward the pension after 25 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City