Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:40 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkar123 View Post
stay in canada! so tired of these tourists moving to nyc. wish you outsiders would stop moving here. you are the people that make nyc suck. stop ruining my city!
This is funny! You are reading City-Data, a "relocation, moving and local city discussion".

I wonder what you expected to find here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 01:16 PM

142 posts, read 418,839 times
I'm from ATL...and IMO you need to have thicker skin Down South than in NYC because the crime rates are MUCH higher. No matter what neighborhood you live in you need to always be ON GUARD.

Also Southern people are nice but they are NOT transparent like New Yorkers. They will smile in your face but talk MAJOR **** behind your back. If a New Yorker has a problem with you they WILL SAY SO!

I think the NYC lifestyle is hard though...the bad weather and lack of sunshine is down right depressing. It can really make you cranky!

But to wrap it up...all places have their pros and cons. The city you live in is just a background...it's the contents of your LIFE that matter.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:16 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,037,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noladarling View Post
I'm from ATL...and IMO you need to have thicker skin Down South than in NYC because the crime rates are MUCH higher. No matter what neighborhood you live in you need to always be ON GUARD.

Also Southern people are nice but they are NOT transparent like New Yorkers. They will smile in your face but talk MAJOR **** behind your back. If a New Yorker has a problem with you they WILL SAY SO!

I think the NYC lifestyle is hard though...the bad weather and lack of sunshine is down right depressing. It can really make you cranky!

But to wrap it up...all places have their pros and cons. The city you live in is just a background...it's the contents of your LIFE that matter.
Nice point!

Old 04-30-2010, 05:18 PM

44 posts, read 51,946 times
No.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,004 times
Hardened New Yorkers are the last people to ask for an honest answer on whether or not New York hardens you. The answer is always going to be "No – the city doesn't bother me at all." It's like when pathological liars lie to cover up their pathological lying.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:00 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,505,314 times
living here loses its appeal after about a week. nah, kidding. i love it here, but you just get used to it and it feels normal after a bit. only part of canada ive been to was montreal for a week, so cant help ya there cause montreal was pretty similar to new york, haha.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:09 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
To be honest living in nyc is almost like having a girlfriend, its really a love hate thing. Sometimes I love NYC but I also hate it. Me NYC does not make me tough, you can be tough anywhere you go in this country or world, nyc just emboldens me. I was born, bred and raised in nyc and im tired of it, been to every single niegborhood in this damn place its not even funny, been to all the rivers crossed many of its bridges, been to statue of liberty a yankee game at old yankee and to a met game at old shea etc, played in the fire hydrant when I was child, typical true nyc things. Its to do something else in the next 3 more quarters of my life.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-19-2010 at 11:47 PM..

Old 08-20-2010, 07:34 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,251,537 times
I can only speak for myself, but I think living here has hardened me. Here's a silly example that horrified my mother:

Although I always give up my subway seat for the elderly, visibly pregnant, or those with obvious disabilities, I was at Shake Shack with my parents over the holidays and some Spanish tourists tried to swipe a table I had been waiting 20 minutes for. I sat down at the same table and told them to move on and my mom was horrified because they had their grandmother with them. I said, "Grandma is going to have to wait, just like everyone else."

The best part was that there was an Argentinian New Yorker at the next table and she told my mom that I was right to scold the tourists because "The Spanish always cheat." I had to explain the futbol rivalry to my mom. I've been to Spain, they are perfectly lovely people, but I'm not giving up my table.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:18 PM

10 posts, read 18,578 times
yup......you'll see

Old 09-13-2010, 04:52 PM

15 posts, read 28,411 times
It's so true. Don't believe all you hear about NY'rs because my experience was awesome and people were not at all how tv portrays them.. and the crime.. I swear it's like when people think of NYC and NY'rs its a flashback to 1970-80's Charles Bronson flicks or something.

The truth is people are rude and crappy everywhere. Atlanta...some of the most absolute rude, crass and prejudice people on the planet. Orlando... inconsiderate, shallow, again.. rude! When you hear "There's nothing like southern hospitality".. it's true.. there's nothing like it, because it doesn't exist. These are some of the most two-faced people you will EVER meet. Smile to your face and rip you apart when you turn around. This is passed down as a gene in the south.

I was blown away after going back to NYC and I admit.. I was waiting for the rudeness and the muggings.. WRONG again. NY is my speed completely. I keep to myself, have a busy one track mind if I have to do something, but I'm as friendly as the next person. People in NY have work/play/living down to a science, like clockwork in how they operate. And it seems these things automatically place them in the catagory of "rude". Not fair. I keep hearing you have to have "thick skin" to live in NYC. Really? Everyone I saw, encountered and spoke with didn't seem like they had this thick skin or had a hardness about them. To me they were as normal as the next person. Maybe its thick skin to the weather, business/work/life, rent negotiating, and the constant busy everyday of the millions of people who are out in the streets every day, 24/7. I'm pretty sure these things could contribute to this thick skinned life.

Really, people are rotten and total butts everywhere you will ever go geographically. And for me NYC and NY'rs were NOTHING at all like this. And while I'm here let me say.. NY'rs have their own thing going on. Everywhere else you go, people are cloned copies of each other, with no originality or personality or even in style, or thinking for themselves and their beliefs. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon. What's so wrong with doing your own thing and not living through someone else or a group of people. What a waste of your life. When I was in NY I saw white, jewish, asian and african american children skateboarding and hanging out playing. My heart swelled with love because I was able to see this, something that is so absent in society. This is something you don't see anywhere, unless you're in LA, Austin or NYC. I told my husband I want for our kids to be exposed to every nationality.. to have friends from all over the world.

Anyway.. again don't believe all you hear. NY'rs are much nicer and cooler than you will ever know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City