Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:11 PM

14 posts, read 45,336 times

Advertisements

The job is at 80 pine st. I am 25 years old, want to live somewhere that has a good social scene. The hours for my job will be 40-50, so I would have time to do a commute, although I don't necessarily enjoy riding the subway.

Salary is 100k, willing to live with roommates.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 03:15 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Do yourself a favor and live downtown and walk to work.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Do yourself a favor and live downtown and walk to work.
Everyone says the social life in the financial district blows. How is living there doing myself a favor?

Old 04-25-2010, 03:44 PM

141 posts, read 196,346 times
If you can afford a $2,500 studio, look into Tribeca which is next door to tge Financial District.

It's beautiful, can be a bit quiet but has great bars, restaurants, , etc.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:48 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
THe thing with wanting to live near night life is it's everywhere. You have to think where you like to go out and live near it. Other wise you can live anywhere. I live in Chelsea and it has clubs but I like the east village and lower east side for going out. Chances are no matter where you live you will be traveling to where you want to go out sometimes.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
THe thing with wanting to live near night life is it's everywhere. You have to think where you like to go out and live near it. Other wise you can live anywhere. I live in Chelsea and it has clubs but I like the east village and lower east side for going out. Chances are no matter where you live you will be traveling to where you want to go out sometimes.
But the one constant is that the financial district is far from everything!

Old 04-25-2010, 03:58 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
THe thing with wanting to live near night life is it's everywhere.....
Exactly.There is nightlife everywhere in NY.

GJ123,
Are you going to be going out every night ?

It is better to live close to work than close to the nightlife.

There is nothing sweeter in NY than being able to walk to work.

And by "downtown", I meant TRIBECA and the financial district.You should be able to find a place where you will have both a walk to work and ample nightlife.If you decide later that you like the nightlife in the E Village or somewhere else commute to it,not to work every day.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:04 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ123 View Post
But the one constant is that the financial district is far from everything!
It's actually a lot closer to places like the west village and east villages than say they upper east side. if you lived on the boarder of the FiDi and Tribecca you could have a pretty nice life.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:07 PM

141 posts, read 196,346 times
Financial District is "boring" but the apartments (office buiding converts) are far nicer and more luxurious than the average apartment in NYC from what I've seen at comparable price points.

I lived in the East Village and it felt like an outdoor bar. It got tiring after a bit.

I prefer where I live now in Chelsea.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGJFK View Post
Financial District is "boring" but the apartments (office buiding converts) are far nicer and more luxurious than the average apartment in NYC from what I've seen at comparable price points.

I lived in the East Village and it felt like an outdoor bar. It got tiring after a bit.

I prefer where I live now in Chelsea.
Do you work in the financial district?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City