Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,053 times

Advertisements

Err....oops...I guess the neighborhood is called Greenpoint? my bad...

I am moving to Brooklyn for the summer. I cannot visit apartments beforehand. I have lived in Manhattan before but I am unfamiliar with Brooklyn. Is this area in fort greene good/safe?

The place is located on McGuinness Boulevard between Meserole Ave & Norman Ave. The nearest subway station being the Nassau Ave-G.

It seems ok (when google-street-view-ing, lol) but can someone just color it in/describe it for me?

thank you!

Last edited by moving2brooklyn2010; 05-06-2010 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 11:35 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
I can't recall if I've walked on that exact block, but it's in a general part of Greenpoint that is very nice. Mix of old-time Polish and new-time hipsters who have spilled over from Williamsburg. Plenty of places to shop for food -- moreso on Manhattan Ave than McGuinness, but it's not far. (The Garden is a very nice organic-type store) plus delis and 99 cent stores and tons of bars and restaurants. I would live there.

Have you discovered the full-screen option on google maps? It's an icon on the upper right of the photo that looks like a square with arrows pointing to each corner. Why bother going anywhere anymore when you have google maps street view full screen?

Old 05-07-2010, 05:15 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
...... Why bother going anywhere anymore when you have google maps street view full screen?
This is so true,Henna. I feel like I have been to every nook and cranny in the city because every time someone posts about a neighborhood or block that I am unfamiliar with I go there with google street view.Amazing.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:22 AM

47 posts, read 210,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2brooklyn2010 View Post
Err....oops...I guess the neighborhood is called Greenpoint? my bad...

I am moving to Brooklyn for the summer. I cannot visit apartments beforehand. I have lived in Manhattan before but I am unfamiliar with Brooklyn. Is this area in fort greene good/safe?

The place is located on McGuinness Boulevard between Meserole Ave & Norman Ave. The nearest subway station being the Nassau Ave-G.

It seems ok (when google-street-view-ing, lol) but can someone just color it in/describe it for me?

thank you!
First and foremost, the area that you describe is not Fort Greene. The area you describe is Greenpoint. The landlord/broker told you that it was Ft. Greene to attract you to the listing since Ft. Greene is one of Bklyn's best - and most expensive - nabes. But Greenpoint is nice also. Very middle class, traditionally Polish neighborhood but very diverse also.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:38 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,435 times
That area is totally safe, you're closer to the Southeast End of Greenpoint. McGuiness is a major street, high speeds and dangerous but its a good area overall. Very Polish and mixed with Hipsters. The G train isn't the best either but you are probably a 15 min walk from the L train.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:14 PM

34,056 posts, read 47,260,557 times
OP, i will fix the title of the thread for you.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-31-2010, 07:24 PM

5 posts, read 25,761 times
It's totally fine, but the street is busy, and could be noisy, depending on your apartment. There's a very clean supermarket right near you. I'd live there in a heartbeat. That part of Greenpoint is nice since you're within walking distance of both McGolrick and McCarren Parks.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:42 PM

201 posts, read 298,484 times
Have lived in Greenpoint for the past 8 months now and LOVE it! McGuiness can be noisy, because it is a four lane road, but most of Greenpoint is nice and quiet. Very up and coming neighborhood. G train is very reliabe during the week and during rush hour, but you might have to rely on buses on the weekends. Can walk to Williamsburg or Franklin street for nightlife. Also, one of the safest neighborhoods in brooklyn (so long as the drunk but friendly polish bums don't bother you).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City