Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:20 PM

6 posts, read 26,875 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My husband and I are travelling to NYC from Australia later this year. We will be catching a Greyhound bus from Port Authority that leaves at 8.30am on a Tuesday. We were planning to get to Port Authority around 6.30am to make sure we get a seat (even though we have already bought tickets, Greyhound's website says it is first in, first served??), and also because we will have a fair bit of luggage between us that we want to make sure will get onto the bus. Is Port Authority safe at this time? I've heard some bad reports.

I've also heard that the Greyhound buses can be a bit risky too....is this true?

Thanks! Would appreciate any input...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 06:07 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
You'll be there during the morning rush hour--Port Authority rarely gets more crowded! More people than you imagine, but also quite safe.

Not sure what you meant about Greyhound buses being "risky." Although it's true that you never know who's going to be on board. But it's not as if you were traveling from one large city to another. You're going to be traveling from a huge city to the countryside.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 PM

Thanks for that.

As for the buses being risky, I'd heard that people have had luggage stolen, that there are some weird characters that use these buses etc....although I can't imagine that this happens all the time. Probably just a small number of cases compared to the amount of people that travel this way every day.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:41 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
You don't need to get there 2 hrs early; 30-45 min should be extremely conservative. The comment about first-come-first-served and need to get there early applies to the heavily travelled routes like New York - Boston. I doubt there will be a crush for the Lake Placid - Port Authority route.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:48 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
You don't need to get there 2 hrs early; 30-45 min should be extremely conservative. The comment about first-come-first-served and need to get there early applies to the heavily travelled routes like New York - Boston. I doubt there will be a crush for the Lake Placid - Port Authority route.
Depends really.It might also be the AM bus to Albany.... and it could be going to Montreal too ! I don't know for sure but it wouldn't surprise me if it would go to both these places as well as Lake Placid. You never know how many people might be there in that case.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:09 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
Good point. I looked it up. 2.5 hrs to Albany, 2 hr wait, then about 12 stops and end up in Lake Placid at 6pm. That sounds ugly. If you can get a refund, I would take the Amtrak Adirondack, you leave at 8:15am and end up in Lake Placid at 3pm, almost 3 hours earlier with a more pleasant ride.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
Good point. I looked it up. 2.5 hrs to Albany, 2 hr wait, then about 12 stops and end up in Lake Placid at 6pm. That sounds ugly. If you can get a refund, I would take the Amtrak Adirondack, you leave at 8:15am and end up in Lake Placid at 3pm, almost 3 hours earlier with a more pleasant ride.
That does sound dreadful.I would recommend the train too,even though it probably costs a lot more

Old 05-10-2010, 06:52 PM

Still kinda like the idea of the bus, seeing all the different little towns along the way. Looks as though it starts to get a bit more scenic after Albany...thought it might be a good way to see some of America that we otherwise wouldn't see.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:58 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
This may be strange, but are you Aussie, just going by the end of your screen name? If so, you will not be bothered by the bus as I have friends from Melbourne and Sydney who do just what you want to do -- take the bus to see more of the country, even if it takes longer to get to the destination. In fact, one set of friends actually took buses everywhere when in NYC, and still do when they return, since they don't see as much on the subway, despite it being faster.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-10-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraMelb View Post
Still kinda like the idea of the bus, seeing all the different little towns along the way. Looks as though it starts to get a bit more scenic after Albany...thought it might be a good way to see some of America that we otherwise wouldn't see.
Yes,it get very scenic North of Albany.South isn't too bad either !
As long as you know what you are getting into. Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City