Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 08:37 PM

66 posts, read 285,443 times

Advertisements

I'm very happy where I am in University Heights, but if I ever get the bucks together I'd love to buy a place in City Island. I've noticed that Throggs Neck seems similar in feel but a lot cheaper. Anyone have the lowdown about this? Why is it cheaper in Throggs Neck than City Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 09:11 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Bottom line is that Throggs Neck for the most part isn't as nice.City Island is a very special place.It is almost like living in a suburban town on the water.Throggs Neck is ok but for the most part it is like many other similar neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn.It is not unique at all. City Island definitely is.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:59 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
I agree with Bluedog. Throggs Neck I think is a very nice and quiet area and beautiful but it just isn't as unique as City Island. City Island as that New England feel and when you're there, you don't feel like you're any where else in the City. Its definitely a different area of all the other areas in NYC.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:01 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
The only thing is you'll need a car in City Island. There's some buses that run through their but an automotive is highly recommended in my opinion.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:44 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Throggs Neck pro:
1) Quiet neighborhood, spaced out
2) Middle class enclave, nice houses
3) Tremont Avenue is a nice shopping, nightlife strip

Throggs Neck con:
1) Very little access to public transportation
2) Car needed
3) Nightlife on Tremont sometimes a pain in the butt

Old 06-07-2010, 08:46 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times
City Island is a mess when it comes to traffic.
There is ONE lane in and ONE lane off the island.
There is nothing there other than sea food restaurants --whitch gets old F A S T.
After I think 10pm the local grocery store is closed---so you'd better have a car so u can get on the highway to get to Pelham Bay.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:47 AM

66 posts, read 285,443 times
Thanks guys; I don't drive and don't need or want a car; and City Island is so tiny that I'd can't imagine why one would need one. I've experienced the traffic tie up on city island on the weekend when all the "tourists" descend for dinner, but I fell in love with the place on first sight, of course.

One of the many things I love about the Bx is that there are so many hidden treasures--many people still write off the Bx as a "slum" but it has such beautiful areas; even my poor enclave has tons of greenery and parks and is beautiful, at least to me.

Thanks again for the lowdown, you guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City