Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:42 PM

307 posts, read 1,397,252 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking that after I get my associates degree. I would want to move to New York State.

My question is .. what is the biggest city in the New York State. Besides New York City area itself.

Syracrause, and Rochester seem to appeal . Are they good college towns?
Oh and I Love the snow.. maybe a little too much. A city that is urban not just suburban. Which city in upstate. has a semi- cosmo/urban feel to it?

Diversity is something that I am truly looking for. Is Buffalo, New York one of those places that is considered a "diverse" city??

Last edited by Beliy Plashik; 01-03-2008 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 09:12 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,923 times
Rochester would suit your needs pretty well. The University of Rochester and RIT are located in the Southeastern area of the city and the suburb of Henrietta respectively. We definitely get our fair share of snow. The city itself has some great urban enclaves where bohemian types will be very happy; especially the Park Avenue area and gentrifying South Wedge neighborhood. Syracuse is a bit more of an acutal "college town" than Rochester; but more suburban in nature IMO, and Buffalo is the bigger city and more urban; but not quite as much of a "college town" at least not within teh city limits. All three will leave you NO shortage of snow durring winter. haha. The most diverse of these cities is Rochester, the least diverse is Syracuse.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:43 PM

216 posts, read 376,731 times
Go to Albany. Great small city, affordable and there are plenty of jobs
due to the state government (its the capital).

Syracuse and Rochester are dying. Albany (the area) is actually growing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
I've been thinking that after I get my associates degree. I would want to move to New York State.

My question is .. what is the biggest city in the New York State. Besides New York City area itself.

Syracrause, and Rochester seem to appeal . Are they good college towns?
Oh and I Love the snow.. maybe a little too much. A city that is urban not just suburban. Which city in upstate. has a semi- cosmo/urban feel to it?

Diversity something that I am truly looking for. Is Buffalo, New York one of those places that is considered a "diverse" city??

Old 01-03-2008, 09:54 PM

What an ignorant statement.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:35 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Buffalo is the bigger city and more urban; but not quite as much of a "college town" at least not within teh city limits.
I would argue that Buffalo is as much of a college town as Rochester, and pretty close to Syracuse as well. As with anywhere, it depends where you are frequenting. Just off the top of my head, I can think of the following 4-year colleges in the Buffalo metro alone: Canisius, SUNY Buffalo*, Buff. State, D'Youville, Medaille. *I realize the bigger part of campus is in Amherst, but if you visit the bars on Main Street, Elmwood, or Chippewa, you will realize that there are plenty of college kids around.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:55 PM

Thank you for all of the useful information. Besides New York City I have been to

Newsburgh, Which is around I-84 by the Hudson River. I really liked the "Medium/small town feel.

Traffic is bad though, even for a smaller city like that.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:51 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,003 times
Default 2nd Albany

I second Albany. Buffalo and Rochester are both great. But Albany is the state capital and isn't far from NYC (relatively speaking) if you want to go there for a day or weekend. Plus, Albany is in the beautiful Hudson Valley.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:12 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy-NJ-NY-ME? View Post
I second Albany. Buffalo and Rochester are both great. But Albany is the state capital and isn't far from NYC (relatively speaking) if you want to go there for a day or weekend. Plus, Albany is in the beautiful Hudson Valley.
I would live as close to NYC as I could!

Old 01-05-2008, 04:36 PM

I saw many pictures of Albany and the population is about 100k. It looks soooo small though!! Is Albany a diverse city? I really want to move to New York City in the long run, but I am afraid I will not afford it. Of course Dorms or Shared Living is into consideration of course. I doubt that I could afford living by myself. All though that could be a plus.

I heard many negative things about Syracuse on this forum. About racism, of how they do not really welcome newcomers. And what I am looking for is culture, diversity, different ethnicities. A city that has a Diverse Cultural Vibe to it.

The only drawback? Albany does not have as much Snow as Syracuse LMAO

Old 01-05-2008, 05:28 PM

Just a plain fact...Rochester is the most ethnically diverse city upstate. All of the upstate metros are "whiter" than Average; but Rochester has the most diverse central city in the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York