Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:24 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times

Advertisements

From people who live in the hudson valley, what are the best areas to move and have a family?
What are the Pro's and cons of the area?
If you lived there & moved Would you move back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 AM

506 posts, read 1,312,970 times
The Hudson Valley is a pretty big area, can you narrow it down a bit, or a lot?

Old 11-15-2010, 07:26 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Personally, I would like Nyack due to having diversity, good nightlife, good schools(eventhough there are some with better reputations), good location in regards to NYC or if you want to get away and it is small enough, but has enough going on to be it's own thing. It's walkable too. I guess the cons would be cost of living might be on the higher end and supposedly, there are some little areas where it is rough.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 AM

197 posts, read 636,070 times
Most of the towns/villages that are right on the hudson have a "ghetto" element. Including Haverstraw, Peekskill, Beacon, Nyack, Newburgh, Poughkeepsie, Nyack, Ossining, etc. Piermont is one I can think of that doesnt.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Met8568 View Post
Most of the towns/villages that are right on the hudson have a "ghetto" element. Including Haverstraw, Peekskill, Beacon, Nyack, Newburgh, Poughkeepsie, Nyack, Ossining, etc. Piermont is one I can think of that doesnt.
I don't think that places like Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley, Irvington and Highland Falls do.

Also, the rough neighborhoods vary depending upon the community. Usually the rough areas are in places known for having brickyards, which were big in many Hudson Valley communities. So, there has always been a blue collar, grittiness to those communities. Most of the communities I would say aren't generally "bad" though.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 AM

Can't for get places like Croton, Cornwall-on-Hudson and Hastings.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:43 AM

956 posts, read 1,207,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Met8568 View Post
Beacon has had a major changed from the 70s and 80s so I wouldn't call it ghetto anymore. The Town of Newburgh and Poughkeepsie are affluent areas and are perfectly fine unfortunately the city parts of the area give the towns a bad name. This is why people have to remember there is a city and town in Newburgh and Poughkeepsie, two completely separate areas.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
Beacon has had a major changed from the 70s and 80s so I wouldn't call it ghetto anymore. The Town of Newburgh and Poughkeepsie are affluent areas and are perfectly fine unfortunately the city parts of the area give the towns a bad name. This is why people have to remember there is a city and town in Newburgh and Poughkeepsie, two completely separate areas.
Good point about Poughkeepsie and Newburgh. Doesn't the city of Poughkeepsie at least a nice area near the colleges? What about Newburgh?

Also, Kingston is another city that has some rough areas, but isn't that bad in general. I think Catskill and Hudson are similar in that respect too.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:39 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good point about Poughkeepsie and Newburgh. Doesn't the city of Poughkeepsie at least a nice area near the colleges? What about Newburgh?

Also, Kingston is another city that has some rough areas, but isn't that bad in general. I think Catskill and Hudson are similar in that respect too.
Kingston is the same as Newburgh and Poughkeepsie. The Town of Kingston and Ulster are good areas surrounding the city of Kingston.

Good parts of the city of Newburgh is being north of South St and west of Robinson Ave - 9w/32. The worst part is between south st and Washington St (near the hospital).

Actually the colleges Vassar and Marist are both located in the Town of Poughkeepsie. Out of Poughkeepsie, Kingston and Newburgh, the worst city is Newburgh (shame to say it because it's really sad). Newburgh has a lot of exciting projects and many positive people trying to get the city more like Beacon. What hurts Newburgh is the lack of businesses (no tax base, which is why Newburgh is in such a financial mess) and the government shipping welfare people to Newburgh who provide nothing positive to the city. Pathetic how drugs and gangs are destroying the city of Newburgh. These people should be sent to prison for life.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:27 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
I have personally visited Newburgh, and there are ghetto sections. I have not been to many other sections along the Hudson, like Ithica, Beacon, Poughkeepsie, etc

Thanks for the feedback
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York