Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you welcome new developments (jobs, housing, more residents) to the Upstate NY Region?
Yes, I believe that the Upstate NY region has the potential for new development. 37 71.15%
No, I do not believe the Upstate NY region has the potential for new development because the region is dead or dying. 15 28.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:48 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,331 times

Advertisements

There is a current thread entitled "ending the high cost of living in the 5 boroughs of NYC " along with a poll taking place in the NYC forum so I figured why not pose a similar question here in the general NY forum. Who knows maybe I will actually get some positive feedback this time. As I am sure you are all aware there are constant complaints by those living in NYC about the outrageous cost of living. Yet there seems to be an un-justified reluctance by NYC residents to develop and live in the areas in upstate NY. There are some on the NYC forum who have stated that the upstate NY region is dead or dying and therefore not a viable place for new development.

This question is for those who either A) currently live in the upstate NY region or B) plan on moving to the upstate NY region. If you are planning on moving to the upstate NY region please share with us the reasons you chose upstate NY over NYC as a place to live?

Question #1
Would you welcome more development that would include new companies (jobs) new housing & more NYC residents to the upstate NY region?

Question #2
Do you believe that the upstate NY region has the potential to be developed and become a destination where more people will want to live?

I believe that there is too much focus placed on NYC which has resulted in limited development in the rest of the state. In addition I believe that development in the rest of the state will put an end to the current high cost of living problem in NYC...as well as benefit the upstate NY region.

Please unlike other threads on this forum lets keep our responses on topic, positive, and avoid personal attacks. We do not all have to agree but should be respectful of others opinions. Looking for ideas and open conversation.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 06-28-2011 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 11:05 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,659,735 times
We live upstate Saratoga area and would definitely welcome development in the area. Many of the young people do not return after college as they are no jobs for them. It is a wonderful area with plenty of open spaces and a great place to raise children.

The Saratoga/Glen Falls areas have slowly been built up in the last few years but in dire need of companies. Housing is reasonable and there are good schools. There are some great housing contractors in the area but due to down turn are suffering too.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We live upstate Saratoga area and would definitely welcome development in the area. Many of the young people do not return after college as they are no jobs for them. It is a wonderful area with plenty of open spaces and a great place to raise children.

The Saratoga/Glen Falls areas have slowly been built up in the last few years but in dire need of companies. Housing is reasonable and there are good schools. There are some great housing contractors in the area but due to down turn are suffering too.
I was born and raised in Brooklyn but whenever I visited upstate NY always thought it was so beautiful. Often wondering to myself why more was not done to really develop the region so that people have choices other than NYC for a place to live. What you mention is exactly what I was thinking. There needs to be new companies there that will bring jobs.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:16 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,727 times
I live up in the western part of Upstate New York. The problem is that the politics and population is controlled by those in the NYC region. Until that changes, I think it's going to a long fight.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:03 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,882 times
Born and lived most of my life Upstate and would welcome this with open arms.

I'm actually kinda surprised its never happen yet. But thats the free market and people have choosen the city.

I was at a HS graduation on Saturday and it was sad knowing within four years most all those kids would be either gone or asking me if I want fries with that.

If I was to do it I would do it in Utica. Albany would be the first choice I guess but they got there own thing going. The area between Utica and Albany doesn't have the infrastructure in place to "hit the ground running" but could certainly be back filled afterwards.

It would take a big outfit at first because most of Upstate lacks alot of stuff. City folks seem to like mass transit and central shopping. Prolly would have to start with massive amounts of cabs. Maybe someday a trolley or whatever. Small shops or a grocery store would be needed downtown. No lack of available space believe me. When one had to go to the city Utica has a magnificent train station that will drop the folks right in Penn Station. Its a serviceable train though a overnite stay may be the best bet. Dreams of a mag-lev setup would be sweet but WAY in the future.

Down the road our new folks would buy houses of which we also have no shortage. Hopefully as they fan out transit would follow and we could cut off the awful sprawl that plagues many places.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I live up in the western part of Upstate New York. The problem is that the politics and population is controlled by those in the NYC region. Until that changes, I think it's going to a long fight.
Very good point. I am encountering some of that right now in the NYC forum. With people who have the attitude that they do not care about the rest of the state or are just too closed minded to ever consider living anywhere in NY but NYC. If people in NYC would pull their heads out of the city's butt they would be able to see that development of the upstate NY region will be a big benefit to them too.

My question is, what are upstate residents doing to fight and is there anything currently taking place that will make this a future reality?

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 06-28-2011 at 03:29 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Born and lived most of my life Upstate and would welcome this with open arms.

I'm actually kinda surprised its never happen yet. But thats the free market and people have choosen the city.

I was at a HS graduation on Saturday and it was sad knowing within four years most all those kids would be either gone or asking me if I want fries with that.

If I was to do it I would do it in Utica. Albany would be the first choice I guess but they got there own thing going. The area between Utica and Albany doesn't have the infrastructure in place to "hit the ground running" but could certainly be back filled afterwards.

It would take a big outfit at first because most of Upstate lacks alot of stuff. City folks seem to like mass transit and central shopping. Prolly would have to start with massive amounts of cabs. Maybe someday a trolley or whatever. Small shops or a grocery store would be needed downtown. No lack of available space believe me. When one had to go to the city Utica has a magnificent train station that will drop the folks right in Penn Station. Its a serviceable train though a overnite stay may be the best bet. Dreams of a mag-lev setup would be sweet but WAY in the future.

Down the road our new folks would buy houses of which we also have no shortage. Hopefully as they fan out transit would follow and we could cut off the awful sprawl that plagues many places.
That is one of the areas that I believe is a very attractive feature in the upstate region. The homes are still very affordable. NYC is a city of renters with a lot of people who would love to buy a home there but just cannot afford it. I see development of the upstate NY region as a win for NYC and a win for the upstate NY region.

Any word on when the high speed rail project will begin? Recently read that over $100 million dollars is available for the rail. I think if the rail project is actually done then people will begin to consider upstate NY as a serious contender for a place to live.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 06-28-2011 at 03:28 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 03:32 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,882 times
That train is a real chicken or the egg thing.

Right now Upstate doesn't really have anything to offer. The ADK's maybe but the train isn't going there. A small train does run there from Utica but has a crap load of money troubles.

The rest of Upstate is abandoned cities and cows. And no way to get around without a car.

So I'm afraid at least a first that train would bring more people INTO the city.

I can see how it could all work out but its a real leap of faith and boatload of cash. Not sure if the tax payers have the stomach for it. Hell I support it and I'm not even sure I do.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:31 PM

14 posts, read 41,562 times
Good questions. I think most towns upstate would welcome development from NYC as long the end result were more jobs upstate. (Companies moving upstate would be great -- luxury condos or small boutiques being developed upstate not as great.)

But why don't people and businesses move upstate now? As Sean nicely points out, it's not really an issue of access; while high-speed rail would be nice, it would probably bring more commuters than jobs to the region. The most attractive reasons to move upstate (again, as Sean says) are the lower cost of living and abundance of cheap real estate. But while a company could decimate its overhead by moving upstate from NYC, there are perhaps more powerful reasons for staying downstate: all the (wealthiest) consumers are there, and the most competitive and talented employment pool will be there. Once manufacturing jobs start creeping back to our side of the ocean -- jobs in factories that require lots of land and don't require access to many white-collar workers or consumers -- I could see upstate enjoying a rebirth. And at that point, when upstate towns have a healthy middle class with good purchasing power, other types of consumer-oriented companies will have reason to relocate there.

But all the hypothetical stuff aside, I think people and jobs are indeed slowly coming up the Hudson from NYC. The effect is clear in places like Saugerties, Hudson, Rhinebeck, etc. Good stuff!

Old 06-28-2011, 04:55 PM

93,246 posts, read 123,876,708 times
I agree with localyokal, as you can see small, but noticeable population increases in much of the eastern part of Upstate, as well as much of the area from Rochester to Syracuse. Even counties like Jefferson and Tompkins grew this past decade, with some gains later in the decade in some other counties. So, I think there have been some people taking notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York