Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 07:52 AM

606 posts, read 1,079,085 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been living in New York state for about seven months now.

I home school. I started home schooling in North Carolina, where I did go to my public school and officially informed them that I would be home schooling.

Do I have to do that here in New York as well?

I'm confused about the home schooling laws because I did not start home schooling here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 12:22 PM

120 posts, read 340,417 times
You have to file a letter of intent to home school with your home disctrict. You also have to fill out an IHIP (In Home Instruction Plan)
If you are in the Rochester Area there is a Yahoo Group "Simply Homeschooling" with lots of good information You have to be a member to see the forum. There is also RAHA "Rochester Area Home Schoolers" We just started home schooling our 11 yo this year. New York also requires quarterly reports. This all sounds more daunting than it is. New York also requires testing everyother year starting in 4th grade. Since DD is in 6th grade we are not testing this year and will test next year.

You might want to connect with your local district for the letter of intent then I think you have 30 days to file your IHIP. I would connect with other home schoolers in your area before filing the IHIP and the quarterly reports. They don't have to be very specific.

If you are not in Rochester google homeschooling in your area and see what you can find.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York