Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:59 AM

454 posts, read 763,863 times

Advertisements

You are definitely anti-gas.

This is how I think it would/should go up there, if Andrew decides to take the risk before the election.

They should choose a limited area, drill a few experimental wells, and let them be closely monitored just to give people peace of mind.

If the wells are productive, maybe increase the area slowly. Keep it away from houses, lakes, streams, etc. See how it goes.

Yes, I made the point a long time ago, that NY has a history of industry trashing the environment (Hudson river) so I would guess you'd be extra leary of industry and any promises made.

Texas declares itself 'economically independent' from the rest of the country because the oil industry creates an industry of it own within the borders. This turned out to questionable, because we have unemployment just like any other state. But Texas tends to be self-congratulatory. It's one of the things you have to put up with down here.

There's been so much scrutiny over drilling, I can't imagine anything will get by the very vocal and organized anti peeps.

But if NY is so broke, how will it ever compensate landowners if the state decides not to drill? They are not just going to slink away into the woodwork-there would have to be a system created to pay them back for lost revenues. Sounds like a huge mess; a real hornets nest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:11 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,773,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
Hmm, 'no connection to the industry,' but very closely parroting the industry's current talking points.
And you are spouting the propaganda from the Saudi funded "environmentalists."

Sheesh. You ruined this thread with your religious war against jobs. Upstate NY needs these jobs, and your water won't get polluted.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:54 AM

454 posts, read 763,863 times
Maybe the industry's "current talking points" happen to be the reality.

Businesses can't survive by hoodwinking large swaths of people, trashing the water and land, and then disappearing. They'd all be in jail.

Every business, every car, every article of clothing has caused some level of pollution. You mitigate it as best you can. Producing the bag that holds your potato chips causes contamination of some sort.

OK-2 things I just read, but I can't cite...it was a few days ago...

New York uses more natural gas than any state east of the Mississippi.

Many buildings in NY have converted from oil to gas, saving residents about 38% of their former heating bill (again, I wish I knew where I read this...)

So, I would guess they are using gas that has been hydrofracked elsewhere.

I don't think I have to even state my point...

Old 02-08-2012, 12:45 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
It doesn't matter how much Natural Gas NY or any state uses. Drilling in NY will not lower the cost to consumers and there is currently no shortage of suppply. Why there is such a rush to tap a supply we may not need for 50+ years is beyond me. I am guessing they want to export LNG to other countries.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:12 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post

Businesses can't survive by hoodwinking large swaths of people, trashing the water and land, and then disappearing. They'd all be in jail.
That is a pretty naive statement that even a cursory look at the history of industry, and particularly extractive industries, would show to be false. Many businesses have done very, very well "hoodwinking large swaths of people", trashing the environment, etc., and it is extremely rare that anyone goes to jail. BP in the Gulf, Massey in WV, the S&L industry in the 80s, mortgage industry in the late 2000s, the global banking industry- all have done very well 'hoodwinking' people (and in the former two, trashing the water and/or land- though in corporate parlance its called externalizing costs). And I don't think anyone went to jail for any of those examples. The sad reality is the exact opposite of your statement.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:12 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post

honeychrome is right--a very naive statement.

Just look at some of the photos of the West Virginia coal mining mountaintop removal--there's a real environmental disaster and nobody is in jail for it.

Mountaintop Removal Mining - High Resolution Photos

Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 PM

22 posts, read 49,679 times
Yes, I love Stamford. I haven't seen a home in my budget recently though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:33 PM

93,379 posts, read 124,009,048 times
What about places like Bainbridge, Oxford or even Norwich?

Old 02-11-2012, 04:09 AM

I was unfamiliar with any of those places, but after looking at their location on the map they all seem a little too West and North in proximity to NYC. I also prefer to be as close to the Catskill Mountains as possible.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:13 AM

I spoke to a realtor about the whole fracking issue. He was quite learned on the topic and was able to give me detailed information in regard to the property I am considering. I appreciate the heads up on the topic and will definitely continue to include it in my inquiries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York