Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:28 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
NO! NY is NOT part of NE! Neither are Ct or RI. The TRUE NE states are Ma., Maine, NH and Vt. Up until recently and IDK when it started, those were the only 4 states known as New England. Being a true born and bred New Englander, I am offended by hearing any other state called NE. It just isn't so.
Someone needs a geography lesson. There is no debate that the New England states are CT, RI, MA, VT, NH and ME. I am offended that you, as a New Englander, are so misinformed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 06:01 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
The Mid-Atlantic states seem to switch up every year or so. Makes no sense to me. New England+New York=Northeast.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
The Mid-Atlantic states seem to switch up every year or so. Makes no sense to me. New England+New York=Northeast.

Geographically speaking they've been the same since I was in 4th grade and that was a loooooong time ago. That doesn't change. The part of NY that borders New England definitely has a New Englandy vibe, but Ny is a Mid-Atlantic state. It is part of the Northeast, but so are PA and NJ. Kind of just wish these labels would just go away and we could just be the great state of New York.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:37 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,537,454 times
New York is:

Northern Appalachian
Somewhat Canadian
A little Midwestern at times perhaps
But not New England

The closest thing to New England culture in NY state is Long Island.

New York has far more openly visible poverty and run-down areas than New England. NY has a very different set of cultures and accents. NY has cultural ties to Pennsylvania even. Even the names of towns and cities are very different.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
NO! NY is NOT part of NE! Neither are Ct or RI. The TRUE NE states are Ma., Maine, NH and Vt. Up until recently and IDK when it started, those were the only 4 states known as New England. Being a true born and bred New Englander, I am offended by hearing any other state called NE. It just isn't so.
Connecticut and Rhode Island have always been part of New England. -_-

Old 11-07-2012, 08:59 AM

93,223 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
New York is:

Northern Appalachian
Somewhat Canadian
But not New England

New York has far more openly visible poverty and run-down areas than New England. NY has a very different set of cultures and accents. NY has cultural ties to Pennsylvania even. Even the names of towns and cities are very different.
Not necessarily true, as there are also quite a few communities in Upstate NY with that New England look and feel. Many villages like Clinton, Skaneateles, Cazenovia, Hamilton, Sackets Harbor, Clayton, Seneca Falls, Fayetteville and Marcellus, among some others come to mind.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:16 AM

9,289 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Oh silly me TAMINLUV!! Here I was thinking was living in New England all these decades!

Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
New York is:

Northern Appalachian
Somewhat Canadian
But not New England

New York most certainly DOES have New England-like areas. The Capitol Region and some areas north do have a lot of New England inspiration. Remember, NY borders VT, CT, and MA all of which are New England states. The borders weren't always what they are now.

New England has plenty of poverty areas. All you have to do is drive around and you can see them. Only the Southern Tier has ties to PA. Many towns in NY have changed names over the years. While many are Iroquois names in Central NY and Western NY, there are many that have English names as well.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:42 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
My thoughts to what the OP asked is no. although many of the comments are based on the architecture or the town layout I think the answer is one of faith. New England was started by and heavily influenced by Englishmen of strong religious beliefs, and that spread to some degree throughout the region. New York was originally influenced by the Dutch and their mercantile ways. Although strong of faith buisness came first and religion second. England did take over NY but that was the main stream types more like the settlers in Virginia than the religious zealots of the Mass Bay Company.

Today I am sure that many communities on both side seem more aligned to the other but when you get to the core NY and New England are different.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not necessarily true, as there are also quite a few communities in Upstate NY with that New England look and feel. Many villages like Clinton, Skaneateles, Cazenovia, Hamilton, Sackets Harbor, Clayton, Seneca Falls, Fayetteville and Marcellus, among some others come to mind.
Okay I concede to that, you're right. But it's still not the same people. I'd say those places (the ones I've been to at least) feel more Canadian than New England. But it's all perspective I guess.

I am from the southern tier, so towns like Seneca Falls were somewhat alien to me at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York