Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 15,665 times

Advertisements

I actually ended spending time in all of the mentioned cities. Where will your work be based out of? I found most of the small communities not to be a great fit. They had very limited entertainment options. I would stick with Corning or Ithaca, or if you want something bigger Endicot. Elmira was decent because it has many restaurants. Sayre and the small towns are not very exciting.. homebody kind of places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 12:13 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,448,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the007forum View Post
I actually ended spending time in all of the mentioned cities. Where will your work be based out of? I found most of the small communities not to be a great fit. They had very limited entertainment options. I would stick with Corning or Ithaca, or if you want something bigger Endicot. Elmira was decent because it has many restaurants. Sayre and the small towns are not very exciting.. homebody kind of places.
Per your preferences, I'd say Ithaca would be your best bet. Honestly the Southern Tier has been in a depression since Hurricane Agnes dumped 18+ inches of rain on the region in '72. Corning and Dresser Rand are the only two companies which are in the Wellsville/Corning/Horseheads corridor that have kept things from completely falling off a cliff in that area. OK, maybe Alstom, too, in Hornell, but honestly it's a dead zone for entertainment and keeping one's self occupied. In rural Upstate, NY, agriculture and state jobs are the two biggest drivers of the economy.

Last time I spent any time in Corning was several years ago, and besides 2 or 3 dive bars which seemed stuck in the 80's (the vibe, mostly), there was nothing to do at night. I think there's a small teachers college or some such there but don't remember, so there's no 'young people' feel to the place. Down the road, Elmira is even worse.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:35 PM

70 posts, read 165,259 times
The previous poster makes a good point, besides Ithaca pretty much no Southern Tier town has a "Young person" vibe. Binghamton has quite a few students, but outside of the State Street bars it still has a decidedly blue collar, rust belt feel.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:25 PM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndicottNewYork View Post
The previous poster makes a good point, besides Ithaca pretty much no Southern Tier town has a "Young person" vibe. Binghamton has quite a few students, but outside of the State Street bars it still has a decidedly blue collar, rust belt feel.
What about Vestal due to BU? I was thinking maybe Corning due to Corning Inc. too.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Vestal due to BU? I was thinking maybe Corning due to Corning Inc. too.
Eh, not really. Obviously, there are students around but Vestal still has more of a professional, higher income vibe. Downtown Binghamton has a student vibe West of Carroll Street in a two block strip. But still, even then there is a difference between a general "young" vibe and a student vibe. Other neighborhoods in Apalachin and that area have neighborhoods with a decent amount of young couples with children though.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:10 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
It sounds like 007 made it out and explored the area since his post in 2012 ... so I'll focus more on relocatingKK

There is a pretty big stretch between binghamton and corning .... without really knowing what cities you'll be spending the most time in, etc I'd probably say that at that age I'd lean towards Ithaca and then Corning .... both Elmira & Binghamton have some options

Ithaca definitely has more young people there, there is the commons and a lot of places with good energy between all the schools there

Corning doesn't have the schools brining in young people - they have a community college on the hill, but it's mainly commuter - like most places in the southern tier the emphasis is going to be on bars and you'll find more there than in other places - you'll also have a good wegmans for groceries, a couple convenient movie theaters, more convenient shopping options and good access to the outdoors

I'd firmly place it behind Ithaca - but if Ithaca can't work you can do much worse than corning - which although it's definitely geared less to young single people, there is still a lot that a young single person can do depending on interests

Old 03-11-2013, 05:49 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,275 times
Quote:
Vestal is mostly families/middle-class, more like where the professors live than the students. There are some complexes near the university heavily aimed at students, but rest of the area isn't particularly young.

The West Side of Binghamton is where most of the off-campus students live and you'll see them around on a regular basis. As a 21 year old, it'd probably work for you, although be aware that the quality of the area changes dramatically in a few blocks.

So it depends on what you want. Are you trying to live a "college lifestyle", or are you just looking for a younger general population? The first you could find in Binghamton, not sure it's the best place for the second.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:43 AM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Vestal is mostly families/middle-class, more like where the professors live than the students. There are some complexes near the university heavily aimed at students, but rest of the area isn't particularly young.

The West Side of Binghamton is where most of the off-campus students live and you'll see them around on a regular basis. As a 21 year old, it'd probably work for you, although be aware that the quality of the area changes dramatically in a few blocks.

So it depends on what you want. Are you trying to live a "college lifestyle", or are you just looking for a younger general population? The first you could find in Binghamton, not sure it's the best place for the second.
When I asked the question, I was wondering about potential apartment complexes that may have a concentration of grad students/young professionals. I was thinking that the West Side south of Main Street or even the western half of the South Side may work. I wonder if Johnson City in the area between Floral and Riverside Drive may work, given that it is kind of an extension of the West Side south of Main?

Old 03-12-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
When I asked the question, I was wondering about potential apartment complexes that may have a concentration of grad students/young professionals. I was thinking that the West Side south of Main Street or even the western half of the South Side may work. I wonder if Johnson City in the area between Floral and Riverside Drive may work, given that it is kind of an extension of the West Side south of Main?
Like others have said, it really depends on what the OP is looking for. Nowhere in JC has a college feel like the West Side of Binghamton. But I'd warn about the West Side of Binghamton depending on what the OP wants. Lots and lots of parties, loud college students. It's not at all a young professional feel, it's a college feel. If you don't want to hear parties, or drunk college students coming home at 2 in the morning, I wouldn't suggest it. There is a somewhat small element of undesirables in that area too, they can coexist with the student element. The neighborhood is overall, pretty much safe but they have had issues with robberies. As far as apartment complexes with a younger pop, the apartments off of Glendale Dr in Endicott have a younger population, they are very nice apartments too. There are some complexes with younger populations in Vestal, the ones located off of the Vestal Pkwy would probably work. And Just to reiterate what the other poster said, the West Side of Binghamton can change dramatically in a few blocks, don't go North of Main Street and the further south towards Riverside the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York